PDA

View Full Version : end of pregnancy weight gain

dukie41181
10-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm about 39 weeks now and it seems that my weight gain has suddenly skyrocketed! Within the last 3 days I've gained approx 2 lbs! Total for this pregnancy I've now gained 16lbs and I had some "extra" to begin with. Should I be worried about late weight gain?

wellyes
10-30-2010, 09:38 AM
You've gained 16 lb total? I wouldn't be worried. At all. Baby is fully formed, just adding weight right now. It is becoming the size it needs to be to be born as healthy as possible.

I always gained a lot at the very end too, and both times all my baby weight came off within the first 2-3 months.

dukie41181
10-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes, 16.2 lbs to be exact. I was just a bit worried because I don't remember this late weight gain with my daughter. I'm sure with eating well it will come off, I'm just worried that maybe late weight gain means there's something wrong with the baby, I know rationally that that's not true, but its the irrational thought causing the questioning. I'm sure if I eat well everything will be ok. With halloween though I've been eating candy which I know isn't exactly healthy! Must stop eating crap!

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I kept gaining quite steadily and strongly in the last weeks with both boys. I think I did 2lbs/ wk with ds2 the last 2-3 weeks. I never had any cause for concern (like bp issues). Probably just my love of chocolate milk. ;) It happens. I gained 13 more lbs with ds2. He was 1lb 4oz bigger than his brother, not a huge difference.

Beth

daisymommy
10-30-2010, 12:40 PM
I agree, totally normal. The baby is just adding the bulk it needs to be healthy AND some of that is fluid retention which commonly happens at the very end.
I too added around 2 pounds a week in the last few weeks.

Snow mom
10-30-2010, 02:50 PM
You might be putting on water weight at this point too. I remember my weight truly sky-rocketing at the end (like I think I may have gained 10+ lbs in the last week...) and it must have been water because I lost 30 lbs from when they weighed me at check in to 3 weeks PP.

bostonsmama
10-30-2010, 04:24 PM
We've had 3 parties in the last couple of days where I've had zero willpower, so yeah, I'm gaining, too! It could be water, but it feels more like MY fat...LOL...since I haven't had the time, energy or inclination to work out like I had been. I'm up about 22lbs total with over 3.5 weeks to go. I think I'll make it to, if not surpass, 25lbs, but not by too much. The heartburn is wicked!

♥ms.pacman♥
10-30-2010, 04:44 PM
um, i gained only 30 lbs with my first pregnancy (all in the last 20 weeks, most of it in the last few months) and i was proud of myself. if you only gained 16lbs total, i don't see what there is to worry about. I think a lot of reason of gaining weight later on in the pregnancy is the baby gaining weight as well. Towards the end i think the baby itself gains 1/2 lb a week. Also as PP said, there's water weight as well.

marymoo86
10-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I totally agree with the water weight issue. My weight has been yo-yoing for the past 4 weeks. At first I thought it was the drs scale. One appt up 4 lbs, then down, 2, then down 1 and now down another 1lb. I noticed my 'hobbit' feet were back to normal so I am thinking the losses are due to losing the extra water as my diet has not changed one bit.

Doctor didn't bat an eyelash at it even though I have only gained 16lbs as well.

dukie41181
10-31-2010, 09:03 AM
...another 1lb! Can this really be water retention if I'm not swollen? This feels terrible! :( can you tell I've had weight issues at some point in my life? ;)

marymoo86
10-31-2010, 09:08 AM
Well today is my due date and not one sign of this little one making an appearance - which is fine. Just thought I would have some kind of sign to let me know that it is going to be happening soon. Haven't lost my mucus plug, had very few BH contrx (which are just basic tightening at best) and no nesting urge.

My fear is that I go from 'normal' to mach 5 labor with no warning....sigh.

SnuggleBuggles
10-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Well today is my due date and not one sign of this little one making an appearance - which is fine. Just thought I would have some kind of sign to let me know that it is going to be happening soon. Haven't lost my mucus plug, had very few BH contrx (which are just basic tightening at best) and no nesting urge.

My fear is that I go from 'normal' to mach 5 labor with no warning....sigh.

Not Mach 5. I promise, labor almost always starts and you have a good amount of time to figure out what's going on before it really gets going. Example, with ds2 I was out and about at a pool with ds1 when I noticed some twinges. Started watching the clock and they were coming in a regular pattern. They didn't really hurt, they were just consistent. So, I drove us home after a bit. I took a warm bath and drank some water to see if I could get them to go away- no deal. Called dh and my mom. Mom came for ds1 but I still wasn't sure it was labor (though consistent). Took me 4 hours to be positive. :) Now, I know people have short labors and don't have that luxury but I think there are often some signs or things that go left unnoticed. Like, I could have easily not timed those ones at the pool because they didn't hurt. I just noticed the clock though and realized they had a pattern going- my bhs didn't. Labor often builds. Early labor is exciting but can take a while. :)

Beth

bcafe
10-31-2010, 11:01 AM
2 lbs. in a week is skyrocketing?? I usually level off at the end, but this past week I did gain some. Of course, I am 11 days post due date.

luckytwenty
10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Hope it happens soon for you, Marymoo. I'm scheduled tomorrow--sounds like our kids could share a birthday!!

And please don't worry about your weight gain. I'm up more than 40, as I was with my other pregnancies, and didn't have trouble losing it the other two times. You'll lose 16 probably before the baby is a month old!

lhafer
10-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Just because you haven't gained a lot of weight during the pregnancy, doesn't mean a lot of weight in a few days isn't concerning. I only gained a total of 15 pounds my entire pregnancy, and the last 7 pounds of that happened the last month or so. It was all water weight. I was mega swollen!! I would try to limit the sodium intake as much as possible and see if that helps. I developed PIH the day my daughter was born - because of the swelling they kept testing me for it.

That said, within a month of her birth, I lost 30 pounds.

BabyMine
10-31-2010, 02:20 PM
...another 1lb! Can this really be water retention if I'm not swollen? This feels terrible! :( can you tell I've had weight issues at some point in my life? ;)

I have/had weight issues and I gained 130lbs with M and 100lbs with TT. I lost 20lbs 3 weeks PP but then it took 9 more months for anything more weight loss. It happened in each pregnancy. I have lost all of my baby weight and some.