PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried HungryGirl's 2-ingredient cakes?

wellyes
10-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Yellow cake mix + applesauce
Spice cake mix + canned pumpkin
Devil's food cake mix + greek yogurt
Lemon cake mix + diet Sprite

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=2126

I'm intrigued. Curious if it really works?

Also, longshot of the day, would there be any hope at all of these working with gluten-free cake mixes?

DietCokeLover
10-30-2010, 03:39 PM
We've done the chocolate and pumpkin. Very yummy - thick like a brownie. I made mine in muffin tins.
I also tried this with a red velvet cake mix. It wasn't as good and the red coloring from the cake was attaching itself to everything (plates, hands, table, etc).

I'm wanting to try the one with yellow cake and diet cream soda next.

MamaKath
10-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I've done cake mix and a can of diet soda a bunch of times. Works great! Never done a gluten free mix though.

Diet cherry cola or Diet dr pepper with a chocolate cake mix is yummy!:thumbsup:

mousemom
10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
We've done the spice cake and pumpkin combination. Very good. We like it as muffins.

JoyNChrist
10-30-2010, 04:46 PM
We've done the spice cake and pumpkin combination. Very good. We like it as muffins.

:yeahthat:

elephantmeg
10-30-2010, 07:38 PM
I've done the yellow + sprite and I think there is a version that is chocolate + cola

ShanaMama
10-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow! Can I just say this opens up a whole new menu for allergic kids/ parents? I am always looking for egg-free recipes for DD2. Hello, Hungry girl. I think you are my new best friend!

army_mom
10-30-2010, 09:52 PM
very interesting. so just a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin?? that's it? and bake like muffins. sounds so easy for some tasty treats....

DietCokeLover
10-30-2010, 10:59 PM
very interesting. so just a box of cake mix and a can of pumpkin?? that's it? and bake like muffins. sounds so easy for some tasty treats....

That's all there is to it. It will be VERY thick, but don't get tempted to add water. It makes into a very smooth, but dense cake/ brownie type texture.

MNmomtobe
10-30-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm wanting to try the one with yellow cake and diet cream soda next.

Really? I was guessing you wanted to try it with diet coke. Lol!

MelissaTC
10-31-2010, 12:26 AM
I love yellow cake mix with diet sprite. Spread some low fat or fat free cool whip and top with strawberries. Tastes like a twinkie.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-31-2010, 07:15 AM
I love yellow cake mix with diet sprite. Spread some low fat or fat free cool whip and top with strawberries. Tastes like a twinkie.

Ok, TC, if this tastes like a twinkie I am on it TODAY!!

StantonHyde
10-31-2010, 02:42 PM
My WW group swears by yellow cake mix plus a can of "shredded" pineapple. Just be careful--use a big bowl because it fizzes up and it rises well too. You can practically have half the cake because it is so low cal!!

justbreathe11
10-31-2010, 08:28 PM
My WW group swears by yellow cake mix plus a can of "shredded" pineapple. Just be careful--use a big bowl because it fizzes up and it rises well too. You can practically have half the cake because it is so low cal!!

What size can if shredded pineapple do you use & do you use the juice too?

StantonHyde
10-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Use the pineapple juice too--they just say "a regular size can" so probably 14 oz (I'm thinking along the lines of a can of tomatoes, say)

DietCokeLover
10-31-2010, 09:07 PM

OOhh, yummy. Do you know the points value?

StantonHyde
11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
I will have to check the points value, but I remember someone saying she could practically have half the cake for very few points!! You could figure it out though--I think the cake mixes list the nutrition info for the mix without additions and then just add in the info from the pineapple. This may have been a Hungry Girl recipe and she lists points on her website.

StantonHyde
11-02-2010, 05:58 PM
ack--I screwed up!! It's a box of ANGEL Food cake mix and the pineapple. Slice into 12 slices and it is one point per slice (or maybe 2 max--I was so concerned about getting the cake mix wrong, I guess i didn't listen well.)

misshollygolightly
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I had some greek yogurt about to go bad today so I tried the Devil's Food Cake Mix + 1 c Plain Greek Yogurt + 1 c Water recipe. I added a little vanilla just because. Awesome! I'm sure it would be even better with frosting, but I wanted to preserve some of the "healthiness" so I just sprinkled with powdered sugar instead. Very yummy snack cake!

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Which hungry girl book are these in??

MelissaTC
11-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I also love devil's food with diet cherry coke. YUM!!!

PunkyBoo
11-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Made the spice and pumpkin today... soooo good! I frosted with a very thin layer of cream cheese frosting and it was awesome!!

Is this supposed to be healthier than standard cake??

turtle12
11-03-2010, 05:21 AM
found a link to the angel food cake and pineapple recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pineapple-angel-food-cake-i/Detail.aspx

StantonHyde
11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Try searching the Hungry Girl website. My WW leader said she has used Diet Cherry Dr Pepper in a cherry chocolate cake mix and it was amazing!

wellyes
11-03-2010, 03:25 PM
UPDATE - I tried making canned pumpkin with gluten-free spice cake mix. Used muffin tins. It turned out to be a bit of a gooey mess, not something you'd serve to company. But it sure was tasty!

Is this supposed to be healthier than standard cake??

Not really, I don't think. Diet cola = chemicals in a can. But it is lower in calories and a nice indulgence.

clc053103
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
found a link to the angel food cake and pineapple recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pineapple-angel-food-cake-i/Detail.aspx

Made this for years on WW - used a 9 x 13 pan.

salsah
11-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Not really, I don't think. Diet cola = chemicals in a can. But it is lower in calories and a nice indulgence.

not to mention that most cake mixes are full of bad stuff too. i'm still tempted though. i'm going to try with healthy cake mixes first, i think i saw one at tj's.

MichelleRC
11-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I did a carrot cake mix with pumpkin (I didnt have a spice cake mix), and did them in mini muffin tins. Yum! (although my creepy kids declared them gross without even tasting them). DId some with a little cream cheese frosting and some without.

hellokitty
01-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Oh boy! I shouldn't have opened this thread! I want to try this just to see how it turns out, since it sounds so easy.

okinawama
01-05-2013, 04:12 PM
I notice this thread was from many years ago, but wanted to see if anyone had tried it with the gluten free cake mixes since the original post.

wellyes
01-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Not exactly, but we did do:

GF brownie mix + canned pumpkin + 1 egg

It was pretty good! We used the Betty Crocker brownie mix.

My personal favorite of all those mentioned, by a landslide, is angel food mix plus canned pineapple.

urquie
01-05-2013, 05:01 PM
We like tj's yellow cake mix with canned pumpkin. It goes great with maple frosting.

KpbS
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Really old thread but I just made one of these the other day. We can't do artificial sweeteners so I used half Perrier and half of an Izze (clementine) with a white cake mix for DD's birthday cupcakes and they were delicious!

DrSally
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
I've been wanting to try her browniemix with canned pumpkin. Tis thread is making my mouth water, glad the receipes turn out well.

DrSally
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
We like tj's yellow cake mix with canned pumpkin. It goes great with maple frosting.

Yum! I love maple

AshUVA
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
I've done the spice cake with pumpkin and a little cream cheese frosting and it was delicious!

I've also done the chocolate cake with pumpkin and then swirled some PB thinned by a little milk throughout (I think HG had this recipe in one of her emails a long time ago). That was a nice touch to compliment the chocolate.

urquie
01-08-2013, 10:08 PM

Yum! I love maple

With DDs creating, we just used 1 can pumpkin, yellow cake mix, three eggs and added in lots of pumpkin spice (not enough), unsweetened coconut, mini chocolate chips and pecans.

After they cooled we drizzled over a butterscotch chip/white chocolate chip glaze (1/2 cup chips total + a shy 1TB milk, melted slowly in the microwave).

They were a huge dessert hit, at a dinner party, with both kids and adults.