PDA

View Full Version : Need snack ideas

star04
10-30-2010, 04:28 PM
What foods do you give for snacks? I need some more ideas.

We do stuff like Goldfish, graham crackers, cheerios.

smiles33
10-30-2010, 05:20 PM
For an 8 month old, I used snacktime as an opportunity try out more finger foods so she gets new textures/tastes compared to the breastmilk and pureed foods she gets at mealtime. In addition to the stuff you mentioned, I'd add fruit (homemade applesauce can be made chunkier, blueberries, bananas), yogurt (vanilla is often a great mild flavor to start with), pasta (like macaroni or rotini but without sauce, maybe just a drizzle of olive oil), and similar foods that offer a variety of texture, tastes, and different kinds of nutrition.

I didn't offer DDs eggs until after a year old, so protein was limited to stuff like diced chicken breast or tofu squares (DDs both loved the tiny tofu in miso soup at Japanese restaurants).

This is a great website:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood8to10montholdbaby.htm (http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood8to10montholdbaby.htm)

catsnkid
10-31-2010, 12:14 PM
OP's child is 14 mos old, the ticker is a little confusing.. Whole grain crackers, rice cakes, bits of fruit, we have started giving chex/ crispix, bread.

wendibird22
10-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Annie's bunny crackers
Veggie Booty/Pirate Booty
crackers w/ hummus
cheese sticks

maydaymommy
10-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Cut up string cheese
Frozen peas (defrosted)
Canned black beans (drained & rinsed)
Toast

smiles33
10-31-2010, 10:53 PM
OP's child is 14 mos old, the ticker is a little confusing.. Whole grain crackers, rice cakes, bits of fruit, we have started giving chex/ crispix, bread.

Oops. That's what I get for not reading carefully.

Well, @14 months you have a lot more options. We give hearty snacks as both my DDs are big eaters. They are almost meals as I like to include 3-4 food groups.

KrisM
10-31-2010, 11:02 PM

The ticker says 8 months 2 weeks until age 2. So, that makes the child 15.5 months old, not 14 months. Not a big difference overall, but some in what my kids were eating anyway.