PDA

View Full Version : A good pear dessert recipe out there??

zag95
10-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Hello cooks! I'm searching for an easy Pear dessert recipe to serve at book club Mon night- I bought some puff pastry at the grocery store with the hopes of doing something.....

any great recipes that you have used?

Thanks!

Pepper
11-02-2010, 08:34 PM
oh, oh, OH - this is one of the best desserts I have ever had, not just the best pear dessert. It is not hard to make but you must find the right ingredients - chestnut honey can be usually be found at an Italian market.
It does not involve puff pastry, I'm sorry to say, but it is just so wonderful that I had to post it!

FYI I don't use a pastry bag to fill the pears with the cheese mixture - I just use a spoon. To make things easy on yourself, and to make it easier to eat for your book club, I would let the poached pears cool and then cut them in half lengthwise. Place them in a serving dish with a dollop of the cheese mixture on top of each pear. Drizzle with the syrup and eat. Divine (sigh).

REC: Chestnut Honey-Baked Pears Stuffed With Mascarpone...

Recipe By : Melissa Murphy
Serving Size : 4 (or 8 if you give everyone 1/2 of a pear)

4 ripe but firm bosc pears -- stem intact
1 cup dry white wine (I use dry vermouth)
1/4 cup chestnut honey -- plus 1 tablespoon chestnut honey
1/2 cup water
1 cinnamon sticks
1 lemon -- Zest of
1 vanilla beans --split
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine wine, 1/4 cup chestnut honey, water, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a medium saucepan.
Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean and add the seeds and the scraped bean to the pot. Bring to a simmer, stirring. Pour the poaching liquid into a baking dish just large enough to hold the pears.

Keeping stems intact, remove the core from the pear using a melon baller (apple corer) entering through the base and removing only the woody core and seeds. Trim the skin off the base only of the pear and place upright in baking dish. Bake the pears about 25 to 35 minutes or
until tender. You must baste the pears with the liquid every 5 to 7 minutes. The skins should be crinkly. Remove from oven and let cool in the liquid. Combine the mascarpone with the remaining 1 tablespoon chestnut honey. Using a pastry bag, fill each pear at its base with
the mascarpone. Serve drizzled with poaching syrup.

truly scrumptious
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Haven't tried this yet, but I just saw this recipe in our latest issue of Bon Appetit, and I can't wait to try it out! It looks heavenly.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/11/vanilla_spiced_caramel_and_pear_tart

Nechums
11-02-2010, 08:59 PM
3 bartlett/anjou pears
1/2 c sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 Tbs margarine, melted
1c boiling water
2 10oz pkgs frozen strawberrries, thawed
2 Tbs sweet red wine

preheat to 350
peel pears
cut half, core
place in pan, cut side down
combine sugar, lemon juice, margarine, boiling water. pour over pears. cover bake 45 mins.
drain completely

puree strawberries
pour mixture over pears after drained. coat well. bake at 350 for twenty mins. serve chilled.