PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about ponchos for WDW

crl
10-30-2010, 10:55 PM
I was saying we should get ponchos to take with us to WDW and dh said, why not just take our rain jackets, they are more comfortable?

I wasn't sure how to answer. I assume the reason so many people mention ponchos is that they pack down smaller? That's helpful with the luggage, but maybe even more important in the parks. Because we may want to take them along even when it isn't raining in the morning. So ponchos would fit in the bottom of the stroller, but rain jackets wouldn't? Is that why ponchos?

And where do you find cheap ponchos?

Thanks!
Catherine

DietCokeLover
10-30-2010, 10:57 PM
I bought ours at the dollar store. I bought two for each of us, and two for the strollers. I figured at a dollar each, I could throw them away if they were used and I did not need them anymore.

We ended up not needing them at all, but I have them stored away for another time.

TwinFoxes
10-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I was saying we should get ponchos to take with us to WDW and dh said, why not just take our rain jackets, they are more comfortable?

I wasn't sure how to answer. I assume the reason so many people mention ponchos is that they pack down smaller? That's helpful with the luggage, but maybe even more important in the parks. Because we may want to take them along even when it isn't raining in the morning. So ponchos would fit in the bottom of the stroller, but rain jackets wouldn't? Is that why ponchos?

And where do you find cheap ponchos?

Thanks!
Catherine

I think a lot of people don't have rain jackets. I finally had to let my Gortex one go to the great closet in the sky a couple of years ago, and didn't replace it because my lifestyle had changed. It's just easier to buy a poncho. If I already had a rain jacket I would definitely take it. I hate the hoods on ponchos, my jacket's was fine. So, I'm with your DH.

egoldber
10-30-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm with your DH. We've never done ponchos. We bring weather proof jackets and just wear those as our jackets if we need them.

crl
10-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Okay then. We definitely have completely waterproof rain jackets for all of us (well, except the baby and I've got a rain cover for her stroller) so I'll just plan on packing those. Glad I didn't argue with him! ;)

Thank you!
Catherine

clc053103
10-31-2010, 12:01 PM
We take waterproof jackets (lands end packable for the kids) for rain, but we do use our dollar store ponchos on Kali River Rapids- yes, we are "those people"!

egoldber
10-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Ah. We don't like those water rides where you get soaked, so we never ride them.

And I was thinking later that if I were going in summer, when I would not necessarily need a jacket otherwise, the ponchos might make more sense.

WatchingThemGrow
10-31-2010, 03:25 PM
We bought some in FL at a WM for $3.99 each. Didn't use them, but I put them in a bag and stuck them in our luggage for next time. Not sure if I should return them..

DebbieJ
11-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Yes, ponchos pack smaller and are lighter.

I bought some at WalMart and Menards before we left.

liz
11-01-2010, 09:49 AM
We brought ponchos for all of us, just in case of rain. I bought them at Walmart. I found that the ponchos from the dollar store worked well, but the plastic was so thin, it sticks to you as you walk. Very annoying. This would be fine if you want them just for water rides. We used ours when we got stuck in torrential downpours at an amusement park earlier in the summer.

FYI, if you or your DH are tall, you might want to spend a bit more money and get one of the ponchos, sold in the camping section, which are bigger. The poncho I bought for DH barely covered his head because the poncho wasn't quite long enough to cover his shorts and behind (and he's a slim guy).

LarsMal
11-01-2010, 02:14 PM
We bought some in FL at a WM for $3.99 each. Didn't use them, but I put them in a bag and stuck them in our luggage for next time. Not sure if I should return them..

I did the same. I picked one up at the grocery store there for L&M, $3.99 each. I figured I could cover C in the stroller and DH and I could just deal with it (I did have an umbrella). It only rained one day when we were there, and only for about 10 minutes. FIL and I were actually on a ride during the rain and by the time we got off, got to the rest of the gang, and got back to the strollers (where the ponchos were) the rain had stopped!