PDA

View Full Version : Favorite non-toys

crl
10-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Setting aside the hazardous things (like the power cords dd is on a perpetual quest for), what are your kids favorite non-toy things to play with?

DD is 7 months old and I discovered that she loves older ds' Kleen Kanteens. Fill one part way with water, screw on the lid (which is too big to be a choking hazard even if she could get it off), and set it on the floor while pretending it isn't for her? Magic! She scrambles over to it, tips it on it's side, and pushes and chases it all over the floor.

When ds was about 18 months to about 3 years, he loved empty food containers (oatmeal ones were the BEST), wooden spoons and measuring cups. That kid "made breakfast" a thousand times over.

Catherine

indigo99
10-30-2010, 11:22 PM
Bottles. He has LOVED water bottles since about a month old. He'd just sit and stare at it. He still goes crazy if I drink out of one and don't give it to him to play with. He also likes the syrup bottle a lot (aunt jamima), pringles cans, cereal boxes etc. The diaper cream tube and tub keep him busy while on the changing table. He also likes his plastic spoons, plastic cups (especially in the tub), and my hairbrush.

wallawala
10-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Boxes and the laundry basket. She climbs in an begs to be pushed around the house.

MommyofAmaya
10-30-2010, 11:36 PM
Green Toys tea set is my 4yos favorite bath toy.

Uno-Mom
10-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Boxes and the laundry basket. .

Ah, the classics.

Right now (11 months) it's those big cheap magnets that cooking magazines and pizza places send out to advertize themselves. You know the ones I mean? They're about 4 X 4 inches or bigger, really thin, with company logos and other "helpful" stuff like measurement conversions on them.

I slid them down the front of the fridge to Sprog's height and she's spending hours pushing them around, sliding them off the door then figuring out which way they stick back on.

Those things always used to annoy me!

vonfirmath
10-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Right now, it is pompoms

My son uses that and some Rubbermaid bowls to play "Tea party"

Neatfreak
10-31-2010, 01:26 AM
Does my mobile phone count? It's a tie b/w it an the tv remote control.

citymama
10-31-2010, 02:50 AM
DD1 - just about anything. She's pretty darn creative.

DD2 - really doesn't get much opportunity to explore. Keys and phones are hugely attractive to her of course. I love the Kleen Kanteen idea -brilliant! Does she crawl?

crl
10-31-2010, 10:30 AM
DD1 - just about anything. She's pretty darn creative.

DD2 - really doesn't get much opportunity to explore. Keys and phones are hugely attractive to her of course. I love the Kleen Kanteen idea -brilliant! Does she crawl?

She sort of crawls. Dh says that as fast as she is it counts and I say that it isn't true crawling. Anyway she uses her arms to haul herself forward, army crawling I guess. She can get all over the first floor of the house that way.

Catherine

LaCostaMom
10-31-2010, 10:30 AM
TV remote, keys, cell phone, boxes, laundry baskets, buttons on the front of the tv, plastic "tupperware", cooking utensils, pots & pans, broom & dustpan (my kids are very domestic-oriented, LOL).

crl
10-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Ah, the classics.

Right now (11 months) it's those big cheap magnets that cooking magazines and pizza places send out to advertize themselves. You know the ones I mean? They're about 4 X 4 inches or bigger, really thin, with company logos and other "helpful" stuff like measurement conversions on them.

I slid them down the front of the fridge to Sprog's height and she's spending hours pushing them around, sliding them off the door then figuring out which way they stick back on.

Those things always used to annoy me!

Oooh, magnets. Must remember this one!

Catherine