PDA

View Full Version : Low calorie snacks for me

MomToOne
11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
I am on a counting calories type of diet and I was looking for suggestions for a 4:00 snack to hold me over until dinner. I tend to lean on slim fast bars but that becomes a slippery slope where I'm having one a day then two, three...then what's the point. So what should I keep around the house to stave off starvation grumpiness?
Thanks!

mommylamb
11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
How about carrots and hummus?

Kaylee31
11-01-2010, 03:05 PM
String cheese, a handful of almonds, whole-grain crackers w/hummus or low fat cheese, celery w/natural PB, a banana or other fruit, yogurt, turkey cold cuts, yogurt covered raisins. If I want something sweet-- I put low fat graham crackers w/lite cool whip sandwiched in the middle and freeze them for a while. They're delicious-- almost like a ice cream sandwich.

cvanbrunt
11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I need protein that time of day. A yogurt, maybe? How many calories are you talking about? When I was on nutri-system, my favorite high protein under 100 calories snack was two of the "98% fat free" Hebrew National hot dogs. Or I also liked a big whole grain cracker like Wasa and a wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese spread. Luna bars also fill me up but they are between 170-190 calories.

cckwmh
11-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I second the laughing cow cheese. it has been helping me get over the late afternoon hump.

DietCokeLover
11-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I second the laughing cow cheese. it has been helping me get over the late afternoon hump.

This was my first thought as well. I like these on whole wheat crackers or a toasted bagel (those new thin ones).

Other suggestions: string cheese, apple slices and peanut butter, yogurt, or a bag of microwave popcorn.

MomToOne
11-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Thank you all! I have been going with the carrots and hummus so far and it's been working out but all the suggestions are great. One of my big weaknesses is cheese so I will look into that. Also the popcorn idea might work for me.