PDA

View Full Version : Brushing teeth

fordtraktor
11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I brush my 14 month old DS's teeth twice a day, but I don't know that I'm doing a very good job. He likes to "help" and I'm sure he does not even come close to doing any good at all. What do you use to brush your toddler's teeth? And how exactly do you do it?

I usually use a finger brush and let my son hold/play with a toddler real toothbrush at the same time. My son is not a big fan though he does let me brush -- but in no way do I brush for a full minute like I do my own teeth! Am I doing it wrong? How do you do it? It's so awkward to brush someone else's teeth.

wellyes
11-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Sounds totally normal to me. I'd say you're doing better than many if you get to those teeth twice a day!

Kaylee31
11-01-2010, 03:17 PM
That's pretty much what I do-- swipe at DS' teeth the best I can w/the finger brush. I used to use a toddler toothbrush but he started clamming up and wouldn't let it anywhere near him. It's easier to wiggle my finger in there. Then I give him this toothbrush: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Buddy-Babys-1st-Toothbrush/dp/B000GKU7C0
It's silicone and almost like a teether- but it has double sided bristles. I just squirt Baby Orajel toothpaste on it and let him chew on it for a little while. He loves it and I figure it's cleaning his teeth!

happymom
11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Sounds like you are doing a great job to me! I had a very hard time brushing DD's teeth as well, until I found these Crayola toothbrushes at Target-
http://www.amazon.com/G-U-M-Crayola-Childrens-Marker-Toothbrush/dp/B00156E0Q8

They're inexpensive and work really well! I feel like I get more brushed in less time and DD doesnt mind it as much. Not sure it can be used for a 14 month old though- maybe someone else can advise about that. Its very gentle and soft.

One other thing- have you tried using toothpaste? Orajel makes a kids toothpaste thats flouride free. Might be an incentive for your LO.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Has your ds been to the dentist yet? It's a good idea and they'll give you some handy tips. :) I used a real toothbrush at that age and brushed his teeth while he was laying down for a diaper change.

Beth