PDA

View Full Version : Back to the drawing board

MeISOE
11-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Each time I think I have everything figured out, something changes. Back to seek advice on a new car seat. I have several cars to outfit, two that are primary cars, one that can use less expensive seats.

I have 2 sons - DS1 is 3 yo, 38 lbs, 39" tall. DS2 is 10 mo old, 25 lbs, not sure on height.

I currently have 2 used Boulevards (MIL bought from neighbor, 3 years old, pristine condition, know the history), 1 Roundabout (2007) [second RA was lost in stolen car - car recovered, car seat pitched to fit a friend I suppose], old Graco SnugRide (2006) and a Graco SnugRide 35 (2010).

Car 1 = Boulevard + Snugride (2006) so I need a new seat for DS2
Car 2 = Roundabout + Snugride 35 so eventually I will need new seat for DS1 and DS2 will move into RA.
Car 3 = Boulevard and shares snugride 35 so I need a second seat for DS2.

Most important right now is a new primary seat for DS2 to replace the old Graco. But I know I need to keep in mind the other seats I can mix and match with and/or need to buy.

See why I am so lost? Last time I had sought out help I had the extra RA and didn't have any BLVDs. Things keep changing, and baby keeps growing - right out of the Snugride (2006).

Help! (Does anyone do personal consults / shopping? I'd gladly outsource this whole ordeal for a fee I'm so desperate and overwhelmed! ;) )

jjordan
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Okay, 2006 snugride is out because it must have a 22# weight limit - right? So ds2 has outgrown it. Also ds1 has likely outgrown the roundabout (by height), or is certainly very close by weight - so I'd get him out of that sooner rather than later.

So I'd use the SR35 and the Roundabout for ds2. If you are okay moving the SR35 between cars, then ds2 is all set.

That leaves both bv's for ds1, and he's in need of one more seat unless you are okay moving the boulevard between cars. If you want a seat for each car, then you could try an evenflo maestro for the third car, although it has a 50# weight limit on the harness, which might not really last ds1 to the point where he is booster-ready (most kids aren't ready until they're 5-6 years old). If he's not particularly tall or long-torsoed, then an Apex 65 might work. Otherwise a Graco Nautilus might be a good seat for him if it's not too much $. You could move the boulevard around for now and keep an eye out for sales (Target recently had them on sale for $125).

If you want another seat for ds2 so you don't have to move the snugride, you have choices anywhere from $40 for a scenera all the way up to a more expensive convertible that you could use as a primary seat, moving either the roundabout or SR35 to the third car.

MeISOE
11-06-2010, 06:01 AM
This is exactly the help I needed. I was having such a hard time getting it all straight in my head. I am hoping to avoid moving seats between cars, so I will go ahead and pick up a third seat for each kid, starting with DS2 since he has blatantly outgrown one of his (the 2006 snugride).

For DS2 I think I'd like to invest in a more expensive convertible. My MIL got some money from the car insurance company to cover a replacement, and this would allow me to use the Roundabout in my car (I love the moo print) and the SR35 as the second seat for a while (maybe get the Scenera when the bucket just wont work anymore). I'm not sure what are the top recommended convertibles these days. I love the ease of the Britax to install which is why in '07 I ended up with the RA after reading the Baby Bargains book over and over and over. Open for suggestions in the $150-$200 range?!

DS1 I think I'll go with the Nautilus. It is what I was leaning toward, but I had also recently heard of the Maestro through this group too. But DS1 is tall (often confused for a 4-5 yo on the playground by site, not emotional maturity) so I'd like some longevity in seats.

Thank you for your time walking me through all of this.

Joolsplus2
11-06-2010, 09:31 AM
The Maestro is as tall as the Nautilus, in harnessed mode, but it's super basic (no recline) and better for a spare seat or maybe if it's the only thing that fits three across. The Nautilus does make a taller booster in the long run, though. :)