PDA

View Full Version : gifts for nerdy 7 yo who has everything

groundhog74
11-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I have no clue what to get DS for the holidays or what to tell other people to get him. He seriously has everything. He isn't into any character stuff, Legos or video games. He really likes some of the stuff he just got for his birthday...smart globe, Moon in My Room, air hockey table, snap circuits, solar system, some math and dinosaur games and dinosaur books. But really there is nothing left to get him. He is really into dinosaurs, science and math. He does play soccer and baseball some.

My only thoughts so far are a plasma car and solar system wall decals.

Any thoughts?

Reader
11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Microscope + slides
telescope
Planet Earth or Ken Burns National Park DVD
Math Mania Magazine (we get this, it has math puzzles, made by Highlights)
membership to science museum

my son wants all the Geronimo Stilton books he doesn't have.

some suggestions from the mom of a 6.5 yo science & math-loving guy

ps thanks for some of the above suggestions, I'll be adding them to his wishlist

Tondi G
11-02-2010, 12:18 PM
K'nex?

Magformers?

Magnext?

Marble Run?

does he have a Nintendo DS? Are you opposed to getting him one?

passes to a local museum or Zoo?

Movie theater tickets?

magazine subscription... maybe National Geographic or another science mag?

Books

DVD's

build your own Robot kit? or other science kits? http://www.scientificsonline.com/

hellokitty
11-02-2010, 12:25 PM
My 6.5 yr old is also a big nerd (and I love him for it! :love-retry:). He is obsessed with science kits and science kit/book combos. I can't remember, but there was a whole series of science kit/book combos displayed at B&N last wk that he really, really wanted. I was going to see what the price was at amazon and get it for him. It is for age 8+, but if your son is an advanced reader, he would do just fine. Also, there are those volcano book kits that you can get. I know usborne sells one. He might really be into that. We also have a fancy computerized globe. My dad inappropriately got it for my kids when they were still too young for it, but now that they are older, they love it. There is a stylus that you use to point to the different countries and you can find out all sorts of different stats, or hear the national anthem, etc.. The company is, "SmartGlobe." Oh and if you don't already have a magnet set that might be something your son may like. My 6 yr old is OBSESSED with magnets. Also, he's showing interest with magician stuff, so I'm wondering if maybe your son might be into that too.

pakin
11-02-2010, 12:34 PM
What snap circuits set does he have? My DS loves his snap circuits too. He has the SC-100 and SC-300. I'm getting him the RC Rover for Christmas: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000GG7XXK/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&vi=accessories

You can buy a lot of add-on sets. This FM radio kit is also interesting: http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SCP-02-Snap-Circuits-Radio/dp/B000FMNZBY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1288715457&sr=8-1
DS was so proud of himself when he made the AM radio from the SC-300.

HTHs.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

ett
11-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Erector?

Science kits?

The publisher of Cricket Magazine (Babybug, Ladybug) publishes some science magazines. DS1 currently gets Ask and Appleseed. There's a Kids Discover magazine too.

Check out www.mindware.com (http://www.mindware.com). They have a lot of math, science, techy games and toys.

naam
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Hearthsong has some neat science kits. There's a wind power kit and a solar car building kit. Microscopes and telescopes are a lot of fun too.

groundhog74
11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys!

I don't think he would like the DS because he has a Didj and he doesn't like the video game aspect of it, he'd rather get straight to the math. lol

We do have a telescope and microscope. I got those pocket microscopes as a stocking stuffer. We have a marble run and magnatiles.

Has anyone done any of the Zoob car stuff?

The snap circuits rover looks cool. We have the 300 kit right now.

Hellokitty, what kind of magnet sets?

Anyone have a good anatomy toy? Maybe something like, http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Lab-Explore-Human-Body/dp/1932855785/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1288719523&sr=1-1

Are any of those gears things cool?

KrisM
11-02-2010, 03:51 PM
My dad gave DS some resistors and a meter to read the resistence. He can now read the codes on the sides and then measure to see if he's right. He has a blast with this.

How about Loopz? I'm putting it on DS's list as he likes games and likes to play by himself and figure it out.

KrisM
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
I forgot about Real Construction. I think my DS will like being able to design and then build things out of the 'kid wood'. Trying it anyhow!

sariana
11-02-2010, 03:57 PM
passes to a local museum or Zoo?

Movie theater tickets?

magazine subscription... maybe National Geographic or another science mag?

:yeahthat:

I was going to suggest a membership to a local children's museum.

groundhog74
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Is Loopz kind of like Simon from way back when?

kristac
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Perplexus

Eyeclops

Spy Gear

KrisM
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Is Loopz kind of like Simon from way back when?

Yeah, but you put your arms in instead of hitting buttons. I think there are more games, too.

KrisM
11-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Perplexus

Eyeclops

Spy Gear

Perplexus is great and a huge hit still!

hellokitty
11-02-2010, 09:54 PM
There wasn't a specific magnet set, but I was at Learning Resources a couple months ago and they have a few different sets that looked pretty cool.