PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old barely eating!

PGTB
11-02-2010, 04:36 PM
DS is 6 months old and since he turned 6 months he just stopped eating. I am reading all the posts of babies his age drinking 8 oz or at least 6 oz bottles several times a day, he only takes about 3 oz at a time for several days now! Even before this, he at most could eat 6oz bottle and only sometimes (mostly it has been 5-5.5oz). I see he is ready for solids, lots of interest grabbing objects, putting them into his mouth, grabbing stuff from our table, etc. But could this be that he is boicotting the EBM bottles to want to try other foods? He is not nursing for longer periods of time either, sometimes his nursing sessions are about 5 min long and he is distracted even in dark/quiet room.

There are several things going on with him:

1) teething (a white spot on the bottom gum, lots of drool, itching, sucking on lips, crankiness)
2) 6 month vaccines administered a week ago
3) starting to jabber (talking a lot making syllables like 'dada', 'lala', 'baba', etc)
4) learning to sit up by himself. He can sit assisted pretty well, but he is trying to sit up when on my lap.

He is nursing at night, mornings and evening before bed. He wakes up around 3 times and at least one of these wakings lately has been a very long 2 hour ordeal. This weekend has been pretty bad with him having a couple of nights with 3 hour wakeful periods, he just lays there without asking to eat and itches his gums with the teether or his hand. I gave him baby acetaminophen drops to help with teething pain and that constipated him.

He has been a problem sleeper since 3 months old, lots of issues with that I've been posting to the sleep forum, but I am holding off sleep training him when he may be in pain and need for comfort. But now he is also not eating. He is 27.5 inches tall and 2 oz shy of 16lb (tall and on a thin side).

I am still not sure if this is vaccine reaction or teething that kills his appetite. I am getting worried that he only drinks 3 oz at a time during the day. I feel like I am starving my baby, but not sure what to do!

Indianamom2
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
My vote would be teething. My Ds still stops eating (and particularly drinking) when he is cutting new teeth. It would have started around that time for us. It will pass.

PGTB
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
My vote would be teething. My Ds still stops eating (and particularly drinking) when he is cutting new teeth. It would have started around that time for us. It will pass.

Thank you! How long did this last? he didn't cut his tooth yet, I see the white under his gum and feel a little. it's still under the gum though... The doctor said it can be two weeks, I hope sooner :praying: Did your LO's appetite come back right after the tooth cut through the surface?

wellyes
11-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Teething plus a couple of milestones = disrupted eating habits.
I wouldn't take it as having to do with his readiness for solids, he's just too excited to eat and his mouth hurts anyway. It'll go back to normal eventually, then get disrupted again a few more times :)