PDA

View Full Version : New to Boden--how cute is this?

DrSally
11-03-2010, 01:23 AM
I haven't bought anything from Boden (yet), but I know several of you here love them. I was browsing and fell in love with this velvet coat. Sounds like it's an iconic piece for Boden.
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Coats-Jackets/Coats/WE269/Womens-Washed-Velvet-Coat.html?NavGroupID=2

citymama
11-03-2010, 01:35 AM
I haven't bought anything from Boden (yet), but I know several of you here love them. I was browsing and fell in love with this velvet coat. Sounds like it's an iconic piece for Boden.
http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Womens-Coats-Jackets/Coats/WE269/Womens-Washed-Velvet-Coat.html?NavGroupID=2

Yeah, this is the one I was posting about in your other thread. So cute. I love so much of their women's stuff but haven't been able to bite the bullet and shell out all that cash for anything other than one pair of boots! I wish the women's stuff would go on the offershop at 30% off plus the 20% code. I'd buy that at 50% off.

lchang25000
11-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Yes, it's very cute and incredible stylish/versatile! I already have enough coats though..

DrSally
11-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Yeah, this is the one I was posting about in your other thread. So cute. I love so much of their women's stuff but haven't been able to bite the bullet and shell out all that cash for anything other than one pair of boots! I wish the women's stuff would go on the offershop at 30% off plus the 20% code. I'd buy that at 50% off.

Wouldn't it be fun to find it on ebay or CL?

citymama
11-03-2010, 01:56 AM
I have to say though, I don't think I could pull off quite as stylish a look as the model, with my baby carrier, diaper bag, and unkempt hair! But I can dream that merely owning that jacket will convert me into someone as adorable as the model.

And that, my friends, is the power of advertising! (I'm channeling Peggy Olsen here. ;))

DrSally
11-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I have to say though, I don't think I could pull off quite as stylish a look as the model, with my baby carrier, diaper bag, and unkempt hair! But I can dream that merely owning that jacket will convert me into someone as adorable as the model.

And that, my friends, is the power of advertising! (I'm channeling Peggy Olsen here. ;))

I totally hear you!

YouAreTheFocus
11-03-2010, 04:22 PM
...I have to say though, I don't think I could pull off quite as stylish a look as the model, with my baby carrier, diaper bag, and unkempt hair!...

OK, this is totally me, too...but I have a similar style coat, and I have to say it does work wonders. Even if the head sticking out the top isn't super well groomed and the feet sticking out the bottom are in sneakers, the vast majority of you is in an attractive, well-tailored item. You can really throw it on over anything and it dresses you up!

citymama
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
OK, this is totally me, too...but I have a similar style coat, and I have to say it does work wonders. Even if the head sticking out the top isn't super well groomed and the feet sticking out the bottom are in sneakers, the vast majority of you is in an attractive, well-tailored item. You can really throw it on over anything and it dresses you up!

Where did you get it?

DrSally
11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Where did you get it?

Yes, curious minds want to know. I saw a similar length velvet coat at Nordstrom rack in the junior's dept, but it had embellishments, like ruffles, and a rounded collar. I have thought about getting it as a "dressy" coat to go with cocktail wear, but haven't pulled the trigger yet (don't know if it's too "girly"). I just love the fabric.

YouAreTheFocus
11-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Sorry, I didn't say because I got it a few years ago...at Target :bag

Obviously it's not in the same league as the Boden one!

g-mama
11-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I have this coat! I got it last year at the end of the winter when it was like 40 or 50% off. Mine is dark pink though, similar to the Berry color offered this year. It is definitely bold and eye-catching, not a coat I grab when I don't want to draw attention to myself. I like the vibrant color, though, because I have plenty of neutral, more practical colored coats. It's fun and funky!

DrSally
11-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Sorry, I didn't say because I got it a few years ago...at Target :bag

Obviously it's not in the same league as the Boden one!

Target, wow!

DrSally
11-03-2010, 05:39 PM
I have this coat! I got it last year at the end of the winter when it was like 40 or 50% off. Mine is dark pink though, similar to the Berry color offered this year. It is definitely bold and eye-catching, not a coat I grab when I don't want to draw attention to myself. I like the vibrant color, though, because I have plenty of neutral, more practical colored coats. It's fun and funky!

I bet you look great in it. I'll have to keep my eye out for a sale.

citymama
11-03-2010, 06:25 PM

How does the sizing run? Is it pretty fitted or designed for layering?

g-mama
11-03-2010, 07:27 PM
How does the sizing run? Is it pretty fitted or designed for layering?

It is definitely fitted. Mine is UK size 14, which is US10, according to their size chart. I normally wear a size 8 and I went up a size since it is a winter coat and I knew I'd be wearing sweaters underneath it. Definitely glad I did.

jacksmomtobe
11-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I have this coat from last year in aqua blue and really love it. I get complimented on it almost everytime I wear it. I do wear it when I'm dressed down. It is definitely fitted, tailored look which makes it more stylish but I can't wear really bulky sweaters under it. I eyed a Boden coat the year before in a bright color hoping it would go on sale but when it did they no longer had my size :( so last year i wasn't going to miss out and just used a 20% off promo to buy it.

citymama
11-04-2010, 01:27 AM
It is definitely fitted. Mine is UK size 14, which is US10, according to their size chart. I normally wear a size 8 and I went up a size since it is a winter coat and I knew I'd be wearing sweaters underneath it. Definitely glad I did.

I have this coat from last year in aqua blue and really love it. I get complimented on it almost everytime I wear it. I do wear it when I'm dressed down. It is definitely fitted, tailored look which makes it more stylish but I can't wear really bulky sweaters under it. I eyed a Boden coat the year before in a bright color hoping it would go on sale but when it did they no longer had my size :( so last year i wasn't going to miss out and just used a 20% off promo to buy it.

One more question for both of you mamas who have it: how warm is it? Ok for 40s or 50s temps with a single layer underneath? Or more style than warmth?

g-mama
11-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, I'd wear it in 40s or 50s. It's not the warmest coat, but it definitely provides some warmth.

jvs195
11-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I have a vintage one (ebay many years ago) in purple velvet with a hot pink satin lining and really large velvet covered buttons. I think I'll start wearing it more now. I usually wear it for a dressy coat but I bet I could pull it off with jeans now. Thanks for reminding me...

jacksmomtobe
11-04-2010, 10:51 PM
It is definitely ok for 40s and 50s weather. I live in NE and bought it more to use as a transitonal season coat but this week I cannot find my regular winter coat and wore it here when it was in the 30s and was ok.