PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out supplementing. I'm upset...

wellyes
11-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Just got a call from MIL who watches the baby during the day. There is not enough milk in the fridge and the freezer stash is gone, what formula should she go buy?

I had *no idea* the freezer stash was gone - my fault, I should have checked it. When I came back to work a month ago there was about 45 oz. I didn't realize she'd been digging into it that much.

I am not really upset with her. I just .... I EBFed DD until 6 months and I planned to with this one too. I know a bottle or two of formula won't do any harm. But I'm sad.

I'm tempted to take a vacation day, go home, feed him and pump.

Failing that, what formula? I have never bought it I have no idea. He is 4 months old.

Indianamom2
11-03-2010, 09:40 AM
My milk-sensitive little guy did really well with Enfamil GentleEase. It was the only one he would even try.

I know how you feel about supplementing, but your little one will be ok. Obviously, if you want to take a day off and pump and feed....go for it. But don't stress yourself out either. You did great to make it this far!:bighand::cheerleader1:

egoldber
11-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Honestly, if it were me, I would be reluctant to have my child's first experience with formula to be with a non parent caregiver and in a large amount. Some kids react very poorly to a sudden change in diet (like a full formula bottle after never having had it before).

kam
11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
When we started supplementing/gradual weaning, our DD did really well on Enfamil Lipil GentleEase as well.

If it makes you feel better, take the day, but she'll be fine! The occasional bottle of formula during the day will definitely not hurt her at all. Just plan a nurse/pump in over the weekend to give your supply a little boost. You're doing great!!!!

(What I did when we got to that poitn was I'd pump what I could during the day and "top off" her bottles with formula. So she got 4 oz milk, 2 oz formula, or 3 and 3, etc.) We made it that way for a long time!

wendibird22
11-03-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't have any advice on formula but wanted to say take a deep breath and don't beat yourself up. The first rule of BFing is feed the baby. Does MIL have some BM for the day? Could you bring home what you've pumped so far to finish off the day? So let's say MIL has 2 bottles worth and she needs 3, can you drop off 1 bottle to make it through the day and then think about your plan for tomorrow tonight when you have some time to give it thoughtful consideration? For me, I usually have pumped at least a full bottle by lunch so could you run home at lunch to bring it home, assuming you chose not to take a vacation day?

Once you have baby taken care of food wise then:
1. Figure out why MIL has gone through 45oz of stash. That seems like a lot of extra milk to go through in just 1 month. Perhaps MIL is overfeeding your LO. It's easy to do. Sometimes well meaning care givers offer a bottle when baby really just wants other comfort.

2. Figure out exactly how much baby needs during a work day vs how much you pump. Do you need to pump more often? Add a pumping session at night? Also, is this a recent increase in intake...as in a growth spurt?

3. If you aren't pumping enough and extra sessions won't fill the void, call ped and ask for formula recommendation and devise a plan for introducing it.

You can do this mama!!!

AnnieW625
11-03-2010, 12:04 PM
With both of my girls we started formula full time at 4 months old, when I went back to work. Both girls were weaned by then. We did start formula earlier though as I wasn't blessed with a large milk supply and DH wanted to feed.

With DD1 we started with Similac w/Iron, then did Enfamil w/Iron, and then ended with Target brand w/Iron. DD1 did well on all three but I was just as happy with Target brand as I was with the Enfamil so I made the switch at 6 mos. old I think.

With DD2 we started with Target brand Sensitive, then tried Enfamil w/Iron, Enfamil Gentlease, Gerber Good Start Sensitive, Target Added Rice, Similac Added Rice, Similac Sensitive, and now she seems to be doing fine with Target Sensitive (started using it due to Similac recall). She had spit up issues with all of those except Similac Sensitive, and thankfully now is doing better with the Target Sensitive. Of that list I really wished that she would've done well with the Gerber Good Start because it was supposedly closest to breast milk, it mixed well, and her poop was just like it was with breast milk.

I will say that I have been happy with Target Brand formulas. It's made by PBM Nutritionals, which also makes other store brand formulas, and Earth's Best Organic formulas. So if you want organic formula you can get Parent's Choice Organic from Wal Mart and it's equal to Earth's Best.

sste
11-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I have been there with this . . . caregivers (understandably) want the fail-safe way to soothe the baby and that is milk, milk, milk. Often way more than what any infant of x age requires. You may also want to check to make sure she is not dumping milk thinking its too old - - it can last for a week in the fridge.

I also find it very difficult to work and pump. Some people are just not wonderful pumpers. That said, this time around I am having much better luck with my new medela freestyle because I can run around the house/work and pump wherever. And I always do a morning pumping session.

For formula, we started supplementing later (because I worked from home until then) but at around 11 months our DS had zero issues with the costco brand formula. I think the non-specialty formulas are all very similar. We did do the mixing in gradually.

elektra
11-03-2010, 12:40 PM
The Nestle Goodstart worked for us.
With DD, I had plenty of milk and only had to supplement at the very end of our year of BF.
But DS could never get enough! I could never pump enough for him and it's just the way it was. I had to start supplementing earlier with him than I did with DD. So don't beat yourself up!

WolfpackMom
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
My milk-sensitive little guy did really well with Enfamil GentleEase. It was the only one he would even try.

I know how you feel about supplementing, but your little one will be ok. Obviously, if you want to take a day off and pump and feed....go for it. But don't stress yourself out either. You did great to make it this far!:bighand::cheerleader1:

:yeahthat: And then we went to Target's version of the Gentleease. We do both breast and bottle, I had a tough time with it at first too but now I know its was the best decision for us because I just couldn't keep my supply up enough. Don't beat yourself up about this please, I know a lot of people will give you bunches of helpful suggestions for getting more pumped milk etc which sometimes can come across as making you feel worse (it did for me), but it really will be just fine for DD to have some formual too.

ohiomom1121
11-03-2010, 01:32 PM
All kids react different to different formulas. I supplemented all of my kids....DD did best with Enfamil, DS was Similac and DS2 does the best with Good Start. Personally I wouldn't start with the Gentlease formula or the Target version of it because the first ingredient is corn syrup in both of them. I agree with using pumped milk mixed with formula...I used to do that with DD when I worked because I could never pump enough. Don't feel bad!!!

mousemom
11-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I don't have any advice on formula but wanted to say take a deep breath and don't beat yourself up. The first rule of BFing is feed the baby. Does MIL have some BM for the day? Could you bring home what you've pumped so far to finish off the day? So let's say MIL has 2 bottles worth and she needs 3, can you drop off 1 bottle to make it through the day and then think about your plan for tomorrow tonight when you have some time to give it thoughtful consideration? For me, I usually have pumped at least a full bottle by lunch so could you run home at lunch to bring it home, assuming you chose not to take a vacation day?

1. Figure out why MIL has gone through 45oz of stash. That seems like a lot of extra milk to go through in just 1 month. Perhaps MIL is overfeeding your LO. It's easy to do. Sometimes well meaning care givers offer a bottle when baby really just wants other comfort.

2. Figure out exactly how much baby needs during a work day vs how much you pump. Do you need to pump more often? Add a pumping session at night? Also, is this a recent increase in intake...as in a growth spurt?

3. If you aren't pumping enough and extra sessions won't fill the void, call ped and ask for formula recommendation and devise a plan for introducing it.

You can do this mama!!!

This is good advice. Is your DS satisfied when you nurse him on weekends? If so, perhaps she is just overfeeding him. Honestly, I would be pretty peeved if my MIL had used all that frozen milk and never said anything. But if she's not familiar with how supply and demand work in breastfeeding then I suppose she wouldn't know that she had to let you know if you weren't pumping enough daily so that you could take steps to respond to the increased demand. If you have the flexibility to take a day off, it might be a good time to do one of those nursing long weekends, where you focus on just nursing as often as possible to build up your supply. Sorry you're suddenly having to deal with this. :hug:

maestramommy
11-03-2010, 03:36 PM
:hug:

I bought Similac organic. I have no idea really if organic is better than regular, but it made me feel better about using formula. And it was more affordable than Earth's Best.

elephantmeg
11-03-2010, 03:37 PM
she may also be throwing away several oz a feeding-very typical for people who are used to formula. Sending you huge, huge hugs!

mommylamb
11-03-2010, 03:39 PM
We used the target generic brand with DS and he was perfectly happy with it. For him, the issue was getting used to the bottle (I EBF while I was on maternity leave and had a really hard time getting him to take a bottle at all-- and this was with BM in the bottle). Once he used the bottle, he didn't really care what was in it.

Don't beat yourself up about this though. It's ok to supplement. Your DS will be fine.

infocrazy
11-03-2010, 03:50 PM

You can do this mama!!!

I have been there with this . . . caregivers (understandably) want the fail-safe way to soothe the baby and that is milk, milk, milk. Often way more than what any infant of x age requires. You may also want to check to make sure she is not dumping milk thinking its too old - - it can last for a week in the fridge.

I struggle with this with MY MIL. "DD drank a whole bottle and fell alseep but when I took the bottle out she woke up and started crying. I think she could have drank a another whole bottle!" If the baby cries, she is hungry. I try and just show MIL when I am home that DD cries for reasons other than hunger...but I showed her with the boys too so... Oh, and MIL didn't know for DS1 that BM separates...she thought it was bad and tossed a bottle one day!!!

I usually have our nanny/MIL/DH write down the times and how much the baby eats. This will help you to figure out how much they are really drinking and when...and whether they really need to be drinking that much.

wellyes
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks all.

I am actually able to work from home the rest of the week, which will help. I'll feed him and do some pumping too. I've also asked DH to go out and buy formula (forwarded the recs from this thread) so that we will have some if / when needed.

With my first it was so easy. I always seemed to have a ton in the freezer. With the new one, I'm producing less and he eats more. So I think supplementing is inevitable. I'd love to be able to hold off another month or two if I can, but if not, so be it.

Thanks for being there. Believe me, it helped.

DrSally
11-03-2010, 03:57 PM
You've gotten great advice. Don't be too hard on yourself. As for formula, I think it varies from baby to baby what sits best with them. Nestle good start is pretty good, I think, as is Similac. I've heard people like the Target and Costco brands. All formulas have to pass certain standards.

There are other things you can do to increase your supply if you want. Also, I agree with pp's about finding out what's happening with the milk. Is she giving a bottle for comfort and baby is taking a little, falling asleep, and she tosses the rest? Just curious. There are a lot of possibilities there.

DrSally
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
I'd love to be able to hold off another month or two if I can, but if not, so be it.

ITA. I'd have it as a back up, and if it's needed, like you said, so be it. I think with the 2nd, I produced less too. I seemed to have such an oversupply with the first, but then I was pumping a lot more and less run down in general.

AnnieW625
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Okay :bag, but maybe I just have huge eaters, but 45 oz. of breast milk wouldn't have lasted me more than 2 weeks based on three to four 6 to 8 oz. bottles per day. Before I bought a can of formula to keep specifically at daycare I was sending 24 oz. of formula a day and from what I understand DD2 was drinking most of it. She'd get three to four bottles there (always the first bottle in the AM). This was along with one meal a day, a fruit+oatmeal cereal at lunch time. DCP never said to start bringing less either.

Also FWIW, corn syrup solids are one of the first five ingredients in most powdered formulas and it did kind of freak me out when I noticed it with DD1, but then I realized that it wasn't that huge of deal for me.

wendibird22
11-03-2010, 04:16 PM
With my first it was so easy. I always seemed to have a ton in the freezer. With the new one, I'm producing less and he eats more.

This is me too. With DD1 I easily pumped 14-16oz per day in 3 sessions and DD1 took 12oz so I was always putting into the freezer stash. With DD2 I always pump 12oz never more, sometimes less. I have very little freezer stash. I kept hoping that when DD2 started solids she'd cut back, but she hasn't. I know I'm way more tired and stressed running after 2 kids and working FT than I was with just DD1 and I know that impacts my pumping output.

I hope your week working from home helps you and DS. I think once you get a good idea of how much he drinks while you are away (I like the "log" idea...I get one from daycare and it's very helpful) and the nuances of how much at a time and how often that will give you a sense of how much and how often you'll need to supplement.

Good luck!

ohiomom1121
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Also FWIW, corn syrup solids are one of the first five ingredients in most powdered formulas and it did kind of freak me out when I noticed it with DD1, but then I realized that it wasn't that huge of deal for me.
It is in there, but there's more in the special gentle formulas because they are replacing lactose which is supposed to be harder to digest. I have no problems with that if it's necessary, but I wouldn't start there if it's not. Dr. Sears has an interesting article about different formulas. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/0/T000100.asp

citymama
11-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Wellyes, I'm so glad it worked out ok for you. I've been in the same situation as you and did something similar. I had DH bring DD to my meetings every couple of hours to nurse! Next week the whole family is going on a 5 day work trip with me so I can nurse DD! It is irrational in my case but you do what you think is best for you and your family, whether it's supplementing or taking the day off work to nurse. All the best!

wendibird22
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Next week the whole family is going on a 5 day work trip with me so I can nurse DD! It is irrational in my case but you do what you think is best for you and your family, whether it's supplementing or taking the day off work to nurse. All the best!

Totally not irrational! When DD1 was 6mos DH and she came with me to a conference that I had to work behind the scenes at. They lived in the hotel room for the week and only saw me to nurse DD1 and when I went to sleep. DH and DD1 would visit the conference staff room every once and a while and my colleagues jokingly referred to him as my manny.

Uno-Mom
11-04-2010, 12:56 AM
Sounds like you got it covered ... I can sure sympathize!!!

Nobody mentioned the one thing we actually did: when Sprog was about 5 months old, I got a cold and my period in the same week! So my supply crashed. What we did was do half-and-half bottles of BM and Similac. That way she got to test out the formula w/out having a whole huge bottle of it straight.

We've mixed formula in periodically ever since. And I'm still going strong breastfeeding and pumping! Sprog turns one Thanksgiving week, so we're proof that supplementing a bit doesn't equal early weaning.