PDA

View Full Version : kettler trike or something else?

lmh2402
11-03-2010, 02:13 PM
this probably doesn't belong here, but i'm hoping for quick traffic b/c my parents are putting me on the spot for a purchase

they want to get g a trike/bike for christmas. for whatever reason, they are feeling extremely excited about this purchase and want to buy it NOW.

they plan to buy a kettler trike, but i had wanted to do some quick research before they made a purchase

time is short and this place is usually the best research source anyway...

so what are opinions on a best trike/bike for his age (will be nearly 21 months at christmas), and for getting good use at least through next fall?

many thanks

sariana
11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Well, we love our Kettler. It is a basic one, no parent handle or anything. DS didn't ride much (gross motor issues), but DD loves it. Both the seat and the handlebars can be adjusted for the child's size, which prolongs its useful life.

I just looked at the box, and it says Kettrike Junior, if that helps at all.

ohiomom1121
11-03-2010, 02:42 PM
We got DS a Kettler Jumbo and he hated it...wouldn't ride it. We replaced it with a Schwinn Roadster (DD also had one) and he loved it. The kids are 4 and 5 and can still ride them. I love how low to the ground they are and they have real tires vs. plastic which are hard to learn on.
http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/Products/Kids/Details/1470-S10ROA-Roadster-Trike
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/86/75/67/0003867567600_100X100.jpg

crayonblue
11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
We had a Kettler Air Jumbo and DD loved it. However, she was never able to pedal it very well. I sold it on CL. To be perfectly honest, I think she would have enjoyed something like a Big Wheel far better.

rlu
11-03-2010, 03:38 PM
DS had a big wheel type trike first (FP Rock, Roll and Ride) which he pretty much wore out the plastic tires. Then we moved him to the Harbor Freight off-road trike. Loved it! Just resold it for $20 at a garage sale to the neighbors who were coveting it. (We got it on sale or with a discount coupon, we didn't pay $60, and I drove to buy it so no shipping.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=trikes

Based on past threads here some kids have trouble getting the "heavy" trikes to go, too hard to push the pedals, when they are little so we were glad MIL got the FP one first (my folks had an old big wheel from her daycare days at their house).

crispychicky
11-03-2010, 05:46 PM
We got DS a Kettler Jumbo and he hated it...wouldn't ride it. We replaced it with a Schwinn Roadster (DD also had one) and he loved it. The kids are 4 and 5 and can still ride them. I love how low to the ground they are and they have real tires vs. plastic which are hard to learn on.
http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/Products/Kids/Details/1470-S10ROA-Roadster-Trike
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/86/75/67/0003867567600_100X100.jpg

:yeahthat:

We have this and DD *LOVES* it. It was just about the only one I could find that was virtually impossible to tip over.
The only negative is that there isn't a push handle for the adults for when your kiddo first learns to ride.

army_mom
11-03-2010, 06:07 PM
How old were your DC when they could reach and pedal the schwinn roadster? I am really eyeing it for DD but figure she may be a little small to reach the pedals. (she is almost 2 but has very short legs). We were looking at a balance bike fro Christmas and getting the roadster in about 9 months or so when she is bigger.

ohiomom1121
11-03-2010, 06:12 PM
How old were your DC when they could reach and pedal the schwinn roadster? I am really eyeing it for DD but figure she may be a little small to reach the pedals. (she is almost 2 but has very short legs). We were looking at a balance bike fro Christmas and getting the roadster in about 9 months or so when she is bigger.
DD got hers when she was one (winter baby) but didn't actually use it until 18 months. She could have reached the pedals at that point-not that she tried! The seat is very adjustable so I think it would be fine.

lmh2402
11-03-2010, 10:15 PM
We were looking at a balance bike fro Christmas and getting the roadster in about 9 months or so when she is bigger.

interesting...so is the balance bike a better starter option? i definitely never thought about the weight of the trike being an issue...

hmm... what to do...

LaCostaMom
11-05-2010, 01:33 AM
interesting...so is the balance bike a better starter option? i definitely never thought about the weight of the trike being an issue...

hmm... what to do...

I think it really depends on the child.

My children did not like their trike at all. My parents wanted to buy a trike for their 2nd bday 2 months before the date. LOL - they sound like your parents! We got a Radio Flyer.

They couldn't pedal it (& still were having a hard time as of 2 months ago) and every time they turned, they would fall over & get tangled up in the pedals/wheels. Crying and shouts of "SHTUCK!" ensued.

They insisted that I push but that was a back-breaker for me. The trike ended up being barely used & I sold it on CL for just $10 less than I bought it (it was in that good of a condition!).

If you do end up getting a trike, I would definitely suggest one with a push bar.

With the balance bikes - they just go. Their feet propel them forward and stop them. They're in much more control of their situation on a balance bike than on a trike, imo. Not once has my son asked for help whereas he was always asking for help on the trike.

Good luck with your decision!