PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have to fill out MCHAT for their DC?

maestramommy
11-03-2010, 02:33 PM
There is a mom I chat with during Dora's TKD class. Her youngest is one month older than Laurel and recently qualified for speech services. The EI center also had her fill out an MCHAT form. Apparently out of 23 criteria, there are 6 critical ones, and if you "fail" 2 or more of these critical ones you need to fill it out again in a month. Well, her DD failed 5 out of 6, so now she's wondering if she is autistic. She told me you can find it by googling, so I did and out of curiousity I filled it out for all 3 kids, remembering what they were like at around 18 months. It's supposed to be for kids 16-30 months.

Well! According to this screen, Dora would have failed 7 criteria, 4 out of 6 being the critical points, and continued to fail until almost 3.5yo. Arwyn failed a couple of criteria, but only one critical. Laurel, to my utter un-surprise, passed everything.

According to the site, this screen is designed to ID as many kids as possible, so it's super sensitive, and many kids who "fail" will not be diagnosed with ASD later on, some never will be diagnosed. So I guess I should be glad that this test wasn't around when Dora was younger? I have heard of kids taking it now at the ped's office during their 18 mo wellcheck, but not necessarily everyone. Laurel's 18 mo wellcheck is in a couple of months, I wonder what they do.

So, I'm just wondering if anyone's DC "failed" this screen, and ultimately was diagnosed with ASD. How good of a predictor do you think this screen was for you? Re: the mom I chat with, her DD IS quite "different" from Laurel in a lot of ways, but I don't know if it's just a matter of 2 kids on opposite sides of the spectrum, or if there's something really going on with her.