PDA

View Full Version : Do all Barbie videos use classical music?

maestramommy
11-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Dora watched a Barbie as Rapunzel video at church a couple weeks ago (long story), and wanted to finish so I got it from our library. A couple minutes into it I'm hearing Dvorak's New World Symphony. And it keeps going.

Are they all like that? Just curious, because it's the first full feature child's video I've seen that uses a known classical score for its soundtrack.

Ceepa
11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't know the answer but that would be great.

Twoboos
11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Well, I don't know if you'd count these, but both Barbie in The Nutcracker and Barbie in Swan Lake both use those scores. (Yes, we watch a lot of Barbie movies here. But we haven't in a while so I can't recall the others!)

AnnieW625
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
DD1 has the Barbie and the Diamond Castle movie and it is pretty horrid story wise, but yes there is classical music in it.

Twoboos
11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
DD1 has the Barbie and the Diamond Castle movie and it is pretty horrid story wise, but yes there is classical music in it.

Yes, but the girls singing make me want to shoot myself, more than any of the others. "There's a Diamond Castle in my mind! And some day soon, we're gonna find it! We're gonna find it! Some! Day! Soon!"

maestramommy
11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
He he! This one's actually pretty good! Rapunzel isn't quite as helpless as in the Grimms version.

AnnieW625
11-03-2010, 06:46 PM
So glad to know that some of the others are better. Barbie & The Diamond Castle is currently lost at my parent's house. I'll have to look for the Rapunzel one and maybe we'll try the Nutcracker one since DD1 is going to be in the local production next month.

fivi2
11-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Are these scary? (my usual question ;) )

StantonHyde
11-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Rapunzel, Nutcracker, and Princess and the Pauper are awesome videos!! I was REALLY skeptical but then I watched them--I like them. And the scores are great. DS likes them too because there are sword fights and dragons etc. This is Barbie as one tough chick!

maestramommy
11-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Are these scary? (my usual question ;) )

If Rapunzel was any indication, they are less scary than the Disney movies, old and new. The thing was, maybe because it's Barbie, the facial expressions seem really bland compared to other animation I've seen. The witch, played by Angelica Huston, actually looked like her!:p She looked wicked, but her expression didn't change much throughout the movie. Same with Barbie, she either smiled, or didn't.

Very clean too. Only one kiss and it literally looked like Barbie and Ken doll kissing. :ROTFLMAO:

Indianamom2
11-03-2010, 10:38 PM
I have no idea about any of the movies, but I will say this:

If the movies are anything nearly as lame and horrid as the story-lines in the little barbie books (and I don't have a problem with the dolls, understand), I will scream.

DD brought home a Barbie book from the school library and made us read it....GAG...I could write a better story line that that!

We have studiously avoided the movies here for that reason.

LexyLou
11-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I believe most of them do. I used to cringe that DD1 loved Barbie movies so much but I have to tell you, they have been a WONDERFUL introduction into the world of musical theater.

I am a major lover of the theater and grew up seeing shows on Broadway, so I love that both my girls love it so much and as odd as it is to say, I owe it Barbie. :rotflmao:

Other ones with great musical theater cores (not necessarily classical soundtracks though)

Barbie Swan Lake
Barbie Nutcracker
Barbie Princess and the Pauper
Barbie Diamond Castle

and yes, they are a little scary but not any more than a Disney Princess movie.

KpbS
11-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I believe most of them do. I used to cringe that DD1 loved Barbie movies so much but I have to tell you, they have been a WONDERFUL introduction into the world of musical theater.

I am a major lover of the theater and grew up seeing shows on Broadway, so I love that both my girls love it so much and as odd as it is to say, I owe it Barbie. :rotflmao:

Other ones with great musical theater cores (not necessarily classical soundtracks though)

Barbie Swan Lake
Barbie Nutcracker
Barbie Princess and the Pauper
Barbie Diamond Castle

and yes, they are a little scary but not any more than a Disney Princess movie.

This thread certainly isn't what I thought it would be :) We have only seen part of one on a playdate (younger sibling needed distracting/rest) and DS1 was pretty interested. Out of sorts friend didn't want to "share" her movie though, lol.

s7714
11-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Rapunzel, Swan Lake and the Nutcracker are definitely the best of the bunch as far as having noticeable classical music. I think Magic of Pegasus had a little in it, but it's been a while since I watched that one.

Island Princess, Princess & the Pauper and Diamond Castle all have very catchy songs...the kind that get kind of annoying after your DD sings it repeatedly 100 times in a row. ;) Mermaid Tale had A song my DDs liked, but nothing classical that I noticed.

The Fairytopia series (Fairytopia, Mermaidia, Magic of the Rainbow), Thumbelina, Mariposa and Fashion Fantasy IMO didn't have much in the way of soundtrack.

Corie
11-04-2010, 09:07 AM
My almost 9 yr. old daughter still LOVES her Barbie movies.