PDA

View Full Version : Where to get moving boxes and supplies?

essnce629
11-04-2010, 12:34 AM
We get the keys to our new house in less than 2 weeks and I haven't packed one thing yet!!! Anyone know a good and inexpensive place to buy boxes and other packing supplies? A year ago we moved cross-country and bought all of our boxes at Staples, but that's probably not the cheapest place.

Clarity
11-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Do you have a restaurant that you frequent? Know any friends who work in one? I took a chance and posted on FB that I needed boxes and had a friend who had me come up to his restaurant to pick some up. Free, I might add. Otherwise, we also bought a LOT of boxes from U-haul. They sell packing supplies there as well as renting moving trucks.

crl
11-04-2010, 12:58 AM
Look on Craigslist for free or cheap boxes.

Catherine

erosenst
11-04-2010, 01:34 AM
Look on Craigslist for free or cheap boxes. Definitely do this. We gave ours free - people just had to unstuff them and tear them down. Great deal for all involved.

Also check liquor stores and grocery stores, and ask if they are willing to save them for you.

sunnyside
11-04-2010, 02:12 AM
I used usedcardboardboxes.com

They are not free, but they will all be the same size (or in groups of the same size) so they will stack well and keep your things nicer.

MacMacMoo
11-04-2010, 02:14 AM
The dollar store sometimes let's me have a couple good size boxes for free depends when and who you ask

citymama
11-04-2010, 02:38 AM
U-Haul sells really good moving boxes and supplies, including wardrobe boxes. Definitely check out CL and freecycle as well. Good luck with the move!

TwinFoxes
11-04-2010, 05:50 AM
I found that Home Depot had the least expensive new boxes. You can also get tape and other supplies there. Congratulations on your new house!

essnce629
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I used usedcardboardboxes.com

They are not free, but they will all be the same size (or in groups of the same size) so they will stack well and keep your things nicer.

I ended up just ordering a set from here. They were cheaper than Home Depot (and MUCH cheaper than UHaul) and they ship in one day. I emailed a bunch of people on Craigslist who had listed free boxes, but not one person got back to me and I don't have time to wait around. I drove around a few stores to see if anyone had any boxes outside by the dumpsters but didn't see anything and didn't want to have to take DS2 in and out of the car to go talk to the salespeople, etc. Usedcardboardboxes.com seems like a great deal and gets excellent reviews!

sunnyside
11-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Yay! Good luck with your move!!