PDA

View Full Version : how are whooping cough & croup different?

chozen
11-04-2010, 05:58 AM
as far as symptoms go, what are the differences?

Meatball Mommie
11-04-2010, 06:10 AM
I'm not a dr, but DS2 has had croup and my BIL/SIL had whooping cough, so this is our experience:

Croup: cough sounds like a barking seal - very distinctive; not an endless cough, in our experience (cough a few times, then be ok for a bit)

Whooping cough: person coughs so much/hard/long you worry they will never stop; SIL would cough so hard, it made her throw up; BIL would cough and then at the end be gasping for air like he couldn't breathe.

Just my experience. I know you can google whooping cough sound and find audio clips of what that cough sounds like (same with croup). That may help.

elephantmeg
11-04-2010, 06:16 AM
croup is a tight barking cough and you hear it most over the trachea (neck)

whooping cough is a little moister, people can't stop coughing, often vomit with it

ThreeofUs
11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
ITA with the pps. Also, fwiw, whooping cough is a bacterial infection, and is treated with antibiotics. Listen to the sound of the cough at the cdc page:
http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/index.html

lilycat88
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
The whooping cough is like nothing I've seen before with coughing. DS had it about 6 weeks ago. It is an intense cough where the person will turn red/purple/blue during the episode and he would stop breathing for a bit...30 seconds or so. He would throw up as well. There is also usually a thick mucous that is coughed up or thrown up. It's thick and sticky. He appeared perfectly normal and not sick between the coughing episodes.

We've been through croup and pertussis and if you've heard one, you'll know the other is different. The clips online are good to listen to.

dogmom
11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Croup describes the presentation of symptoms: narrowing of the airway around the larynx with swelling of the vocal cords with the whistling/barking sound. Many viral infections can cause croup. I did hear hear an adult with it once. Kids under 6 are more prone to it for several reasons.

Whooping cough is a specific disease. It is diagnosed by the presentation of the consistent cough that won't leave, hence the name.

Once you have heard each it is very easy to tell the difference.

chozen
11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm not a dr, but DS2 has had croup and my BIL/SIL had whooping cough, so this is our experience:

Croup: cough sounds like a barking seal - very distinctive; not an endless cough, in our experience (cough a few times, then be ok for a bit)

Whooping cough: person coughs so much/hard/long you worry they will never stop; SIL would cough so hard, it made her throw up; BIL would cough and then at the end be gasping for air like he couldn't breathe.

Just my experience. I know you can google whooping cough sound and find audio clips of what that cough sounds like (same with croup). That may help.

its not whooping cough, thank God.

ha98ed14
11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Croup describes the presentation of symptoms: narrowing of the airway around the larynx with swelling of the vocal cords with the whistling/barking sound. Many viral infections can cause croup. I did hear hear an adult with it once. Kids under 6 are more prone to it for several reasons.

Whooping cough is a specific disease. It is diagnosed by the presentation of the consistent cough that won't leave, hence the name.

Once you have heard each it is very easy to tell the difference.

Is the P in DTaP for whooping cough or croup? Is Pertussis is the same as whooping cough?

egoldber
11-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Yes, petussis = whooping cough, and the P in the DTaP shot is pertussis.

d = diptheria
t = tetanus
p = pertussis