PDA

View Full Version : Bassinet vs Napper for Graco Pack N Play?

awn920
11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know if the Graco Pack N Play with "napper" is the same as the "bassinet" that was recommended in the book? It seems that they no longer offer a bassinet insert and now they only have the napper.
I'm pretty sure these are the same products that the Baby Bargains book (and several friends who had babies a few years ago) highly recommended, but I was worried when I read Graco's description: "The Newborn Napper's soft, cushy fabrics make it the perfect nap spot for your new arrival..."

The description concerns me because everything else I've read says you want the mattress to be FIRM and you DON'T want the newborn sleeping area to be "soft and cushy."

I had planned to use this instead of a bassinet for the first few weeks when baby comes home, but now have concerns....

I appreciate your feedback and "guidance!"

Uno-Mom
11-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty sure they're the same. Check it out in the store:

The "bassinet" feature is an insert that fits into the top. The sides snap onto the upper rails of the pac'n play. The sides of the bassinet are fabric, fitting flush w/the side of the pac. The floor of the bassinet is just the regular foam pac floor - instead of putting it down in the bottom you set it into the bassinet.

So the bottom of the bassinet is a little soft - the mattress thingy is about an inch thick and kind of squishy. But there's no way it's a SIDs risk. It only depresses a tiny bit.

Anyway, I bet it's the same thing. That's what we used instead of a bassinet. It worked fine for our DD. It's weird that they'd use those word in their advert, though.

AshleyAnn
11-04-2010, 12:12 PM
All the PNPs I've seen with the newborn napper also have a bassinet. The napper is a little round thing on top of the bassinet area that looks more cozy and comfy for a newborn than the bigger flat bed area. I have a more barebones version that is just a PNP with bassinet (no changer/napper) and I've very happy with it. BRU has several models with the napper and without.

awn920
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I guess I didn't realize that the raised area on the regular PNP is considered the "bassinet." Thanks for clarifying!!

indigo99
11-06-2010, 12:10 AM
I didn't have a napper but did use the bassinett for several months in our room. I would personally be a little worried about leaving baby unattended in the napper.

What I did find very useful was the raised changing station. We used it exclusively for the first six months or so, and it was so nice not to have to bend over.

Ours also had a vibration option. I didn't think I'd need that when I purchased, but we ended up using it a LOT. DS loved it. We'd get 20 minutes of sleep, and then he'd wake up when it turned itself off. The PnP Modern in Racer and Zurich seem to be most similar to the one I have (which isn't listed now).