PDA

View Full Version : Great blogpost ~ 5yr old's halloween costume

WolfpackMom
11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
A family member linked to this on facebook, kudos to this mom, I think this is a great example of letting a kid be a kid, no matter what anyone else thinks! :jammin:

www.nerdyapplebottom.com

Briefy summary, her 5 year old son wanted to be Daphne from ScoobyDoo for Halloween, so she let him but some other preschool moms basically didn't approve.

jse107
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
That was totally excellent. I am forwarding it to my friends and family!

anamika
11-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Wow, great post. This will make the rounds im ny emails today.

deborah_r
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I've often wondered why boys can't dress as girl characters at Halloween. If it is a day to dress as whatever you want, why is gender a restriction? My 3 year old was quite interested in the "girl" superhero costumes.

mommylamb
11-04-2010, 01:39 PM
This has been going around on FB. (or at least, some of my friends were posting it). I especially like the part where she says she's not worried your son will grow up to be an actual ninja.

wellyes
11-04-2010, 01:39 PM
That's a nice costume!
And a cool family.

PAfirsttimemom
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I especially like the part where she says she's not worried your son will grow up to be an actual ninja.

That's the part that struck me, too. Love it!

citymama
11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I love this! I read it on FB today as well.

It brought back memories for me 0 I remember how appalled my BIL was when my sister dressed up their 4 yr old son as a "Sparkle Fairy" per his request on Halloween a few years ago. This year he was a macho Iron Man. Somehow I don't think he will grow up to be either one of those things. ;) I sure hope my DDs don't grow up to be witches - or pumpkins! :ROTFLMAO:

Green_Tea
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
This blog post went totally viral and I LOVE IT! What an awesome mom.

PAfirsttimemom
11-05-2010, 02:27 PM
So I posted this link on my FB page because I love it, and a guy from my high school (one of those people I hesitated on accepting a facebook "friendship" with anyway because I didn't even know him back then) posted this comment:

"the funny part is .. that his Mom is freaking out because he wanted to dress up like a girl for trick or treat... No question in my mind that she is the one with the problem.. lol"

I was hoping some other friends would post opinions to refute his, but so far no one has. I feel like should respond in some way. WWYD?

WolfpackMom
11-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I would respond saying, "Did you read the blogpost, because thats not what happening - she is defending his right to wear whatever he wants."

Some people make me go :shrug:

mikala
11-06-2010, 11:48 PM
So I posted this link on my FB page because I love it, and a guy from my high school (one of those people I hesitated on accepting a facebook "friendship" with anyway because I didn't even know him back then) posted this comment:

"the funny part is .. that his Mom is freaking out because he wanted to dress up like a girl for trick or treat... No question in my mind that she is the one with the problem.. lol"

I was hoping some other friends would post opinions to refute his, but so far no one has. I feel like should respond in some way. WWYD?

Yeah, it was an awesome blog post. I can only hope I can be that accepting as DS grows up.

I'd probably ignore the guy's comments. Anyone who reads the post will understand what it means and he'll just look silly for jumping to that conclusion. Or so I tell myself regularly when relatives make biased comments on my FB page :)

P.S. I have a special FB group set up for people like that titled "Why??" for people like that. I set my privacy settings so that group can't see much at all.

kijip
11-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Underscores that the source of bullying is other parents oftentimes and not the young kids who couldn't care less. People learn hate from their parents.

Reyadawnbringer
11-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Underscores that the source of bullying is other parents oftentimes and not the young kids who couldn't care less. People learn hate from their parents.
:yeahthat:

♥ms.pacman♥
11-07-2010, 09:12 AM
thanks for sharing. i did not see this on my FB. this is great. so true how the mom said it's *other moms* (not other kids) who had the problem with her son's costume.

PAfirsttimemom
11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah, it was an awesome blog post. I can only hope I can be that accepting as DS grows up.

I'd probably ignore the guy's comments. Anyone who reads the post will understand what it means and he'll just look silly for jumping to that conclusion. Or so I tell myself regularly when relatives make biased comments on my FB page :)

P.S. I have a special FB group set up for people like that titled "Why??" for people like that. I set my privacy settings so that group can't see much at all.

I did end up posting, and here's what I said:
"Not sure where you get that, XXXXX. I see a compassionate mom who is encouraging her child to be himself and is proud of him for doing it."

Then he replied:
"because at that age.. a kid wanting to dress up like that.. Gay should not have even came into her mind.. he's 5 .. come on now"

I did not reply to that one. I went over in my mind many times about how to respond but decided it wasn't worth it. He would just keep arguing. You should see some of his other crazy posts. He went on a huge, incoherent anti-Obama rant the other day in response to the president's dealings in India. He is definitely not someone I identify with or would be friends with outside of FB, but I have never unfriended anyone. If you set it up so certain people cannot see your posts anymore, won't they know you've done this? I don't have my friends organized into groups, and maybe I should do this, because I do have a portion of people that aren't real "friends," like the high school classmates who feel like they have to friend everyone they graduated with. I started out being selective about who to accept and then gave up.

Globetrotter
11-07-2010, 12:41 PM
One of ds's friends used to do this. One year he was a fully decked out princess, and I admired the fact that his mom calmly accepted it. He still enjoys playing with dolls and girly stuff (though the lastest costume was a ninja or something! I love the comment about the kid not growing up to be an actual ninja :)) He is definitely effiminate, though I don't know if he's gay (maybe?) but I always feel that if he IS, he couldn't have been born into a better family. (Indian, at that!)

shawnandangel
11-07-2010, 02:14 PM
I read this a few days ago on Facebook as well. I thought it was well written and I totally agree with this mom!

ellies mom
11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I did end up posting, and here's what I said:
"Not sure where you get that, XXXXX. I see a compassionate mom who is encouraging her child to be himself and is proud of him for doing it."

Then he replied:
"because at that age.. a kid wanting to dress up like that.. Gay should not have even came into her mind.. he's 5 .. come on now"

I don't honestly get the problem with what he posted. He seems to be saying it shouldn't matter what the kid is dressing up as, that making the leap to "he is gay" is ridiculous. Now, maybe he didn't read the post far enough to see that it isn't the author of the post with the issue but the other mothers in the class. But the sentiment is the same. The kid is 5. Who cares?

MommyofAmaya
11-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't honestly get the problem with what he posted. He seems to be saying it shouldn't matter what the kid is dressing up as, that making the leap to "he is gay" is ridiculous. Now, maybe he didn't read the post far enough to see that it isn't the author of the post with the issue but the other mothers in the class. But the sentiment is the same. The kid is 5. Who cares?

:yeahthat:

mikala
11-07-2010, 04:01 PM
If you set it up so certain people cannot see your posts anymore, won't they know you've done this? I don't have my friends organized into groups, and maybe I should do this, because I do have a portion of people that aren't real "friends," like the high school classmates who feel like they have to friend everyone they graduated with. I started out being selective about who to accept and then gave up.

I usually put them in that group as soon as I accept the friend request. They may realize they have restricted access or they may just assume that I don't allow anyone to see anything. They are generally people I haven't seen for 10+ years so it's a tossup between giving them restricted access or just not accepting the friend request.

PAfirsttimemom
11-07-2010, 04:20 PM

There isn't really a problem with this point at all. (It is in fact what the writer is saying!) But I fail to see how it is an explanation for why he bashed the writer in his first post (saying she was freaking out that her son wanted to dress like a girl for trick or treat and that she's the one with the problem).

I think I'm confused now. :-) I was just surprised that someone would react negatively toward this mother, who seemed to be nothing but awesomely supportive and loving to her son.

ellies mom
11-07-2010, 04:29 PM
There isn't really a problem with this point at all. (It is in fact what the writer is saying!) But I fail to see how it is an explanation for why he bashed the writer in his first post (saying she was freaking out that her son wanted to dress like a girl for trick or treat and that she's the one with the problem).

I think I'm confused now. :-) I was just surprised that someone would react negatively toward this mother, who seemed to be nothing but awesomely supportive and loving to her son.
Well, if you make the assumption that he didn't really read the blog post, then he is blasting her for jumping to the assumption that her son is gay based his costume choice. Which if you only look at the title and the picture is what it appears she is doing. So, he is saying "dressing as a girl for Halloween does not make a child gay" and that makes him bad how? I'm not saying you should keep him on your favorite FB friend list or that you shouldn't move him to the "do not see" list but just that I'm not sure why that comment would be the deal breaker. Based on the other things you say he writes, I'd be breathing a sigh of relief.

Ceepa
11-08-2010, 09:04 AM
FYI Just heard on the Today Show that the mom is going to be on. I didn't catch if it would be later this morning, but it might be.

Corie
11-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Well, if you make the assumption that he didn't really read the blog post, then he is blasting her for jumping to the assumption that her son is gay based his costume choice. Which if you only look at the title and the picture is what it appears she is doing. So, he is saying "dressing as a girl for Halloween does not make a child gay" and that makes him bad how?

And, you know what, that's exactly how I took the title of her blog post too.
For me, her title was really off-putting. This little boy may be gay or he
may just love Daphne. But I would never have made the blog title,
"My son is gay". Never.

PAfirsttimemom
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
And, you know what, that's exactly how I took the title of her blog post too.
For me, her title was really off-putting. This little boy may be gay or he
may just love Daphne. But I would never have made the blog title,
"My son is gay". Never.

I tend to agree about the title, and I wonder if it did put off some people and prompt them not to read the post (which is a shame). I'm not sure this was the case with my FB "friend," though. I think it would be very ignorant of someone to post about an article without actually reading the contents.

WolfpackMom
11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Yep see thats the problem when people make an assumption I guess without reading, since the very first sentence of her post shes says "or not."

oh well, nothing these days can be without controversy! Just thought it was a good post.

PAfirsttimemom
11-08-2010, 11:45 AM
FYI Just heard on the Today Show that the mom is going to be on. I didn't catch if it would be later this morning, but it might be.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/40042202#40042202

Here's a link of a phone appearance on Today from last week. The host says the mom would be on the show Monday (today), but I didn't see it posted on msnbc.com yet.

PAfirsttimemom
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40069385/ns/today-parenting/

Here is today's post about the topic.