PDA

View Full Version : Question for co-sleepers

div_0305
11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I posted in the Nursery Necessities for crib suggestions because I think I have to put my 10mo old in a crib. She is not really suited for co-sleeping. She's a mover. As soon as she awakes, she's trying to climb the wall, crawl, etc. She doesn't cry either so I have no warning to come get her if she's in the bed by herself. I'm really worried about her taking a dive off the bed. My 1st child was really suited for cosleeping, so much so, that we sold his crib unused on CL :). So, I think the answer is already in my question, but in case I'm missing anything, did any of you who cosleep deal w/ a similar personality and how did you resolve the baby falling of the bed safety issue? I think we'll only use a crib for 6 months, because by then she'll probably be ready for a toddler or twin bed w/ rails.

daisy13
11-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Good lord I could have written this post myself!!
My DD is 9 months old and has just started the climbing/crawling/ trying to walk routine :(. We co sleep - because she will not sleep in her crib!! But, Like you mentioned , when I leave her on our bed for naps / early part of the night etc, she has managed to sit up.

Heres what I did- We removed our bed and just put our mattress on the floor for now. We do have a crib and I am trying to train her to sleep there..

m448
11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
that's when we taught each child to climb off the bed feet first. Of course it's rare the child in my home that has slept past me getting out of bed. Groan.

Pear
11-04-2010, 03:53 PM
We put the mattress on the floor. It was kind of fortuitous because we were moving at the time and wanted to upgrade to a king. We just didn't bother buying the bed. DD quickly became an expert at getting in and out safely. When she is a little older we will go back to a regular bed

div_0305
11-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I'll discuss it w/ DH. We use a latex mattress, so I'm not sure about how well our body support would be putting them directly on the floor. Plus, I have a fear of spiders to put it mildly. I see one, and imagine them everywhere, so I'd be checking our bed constantly if on the floor. The serenity of living next to a forest coupled with way too many insects and animals!

div_0305
11-04-2010, 04:07 PM
that's when we taught each child to climb off the bed feet first. Of course it's rare the child in my home that has slept past me getting out of bed. Groan.

I don't think my 10mo old could be taught this. But let me know--I'm all for suggestions!

Raidra
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Our crib is sidecarred, so when Niall gets old enough, we can lower the mattress so he can't get out. Of course, by then, he might be so heavy that I have to move the crib elsewhere in our room.. getting him in and out of it from the bed is already getting to be an ordeal.

m448
11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Do you have rails up or is the bed against a wall? I would put mine up against the wall side and by the time the crawled across the bed I was already in the room.

srhs
11-04-2010, 05:46 PM
While we do cosleep, I don't have any tips for ya.
I will say I think you'd get more than 6mos use out of a crib. although ymmv and it's very individual. DS1 is 31 mos and still in a crib. He *could* climb out if he wanted, but he hasn't. I think it helps that his floor is wood, so he knows it would hurt. I am not ready for him to have the freedom to roam, so in a crib he stays.

Canna
11-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Yup, mattress on floor - no boxspring. Another option is crib mattress on floor next to your bed.