PDA

View Full Version : what am I doing wrong? pumping question

candaceb
11-04-2010, 03:34 PM
DS is EBF. I bought a Lansinoh Double Electric pump last week for the couple of times a week I leave him to go to work, and to start a freezer stash. He usually only nurses on one side, so my plan was to pump the other side for the first feeding or two of the day. I have not had any supply issues - I used to have a bit of over-supply, but it dropped after I went on the mini-pill.

I have barely been able to get any output using the pump. When I was using the Medela manual pump that I got from the hospital, I could easily pump 1.5-2 ounces in ten minutes. Now I'm lucky to get a half an ounce. There is clearly something wrong with either my strategy or the machine. I followed the troubleshooting directions in the video that came with the pump, and there is suction when I put my hand on the hole, and I'm making sure that everything is dry and connected. It seems like there is good suction, but nothing comes out - I get more hand-expressing than with the pump.

My one thought is that the cones are too small - I'm currently a D or DD with bf. Would that affect production or is it just a comfort issue?

TIA for any advice. I'm planning to call Lansinoh but wondered if anyone here had any ideas.