PDA

View Full Version : Live flu vaccine

Roni
11-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Does anyone know (or know where to find out) if it's safe for my DH and DD1 to have the nasal flu vaccine, which contains the live virus, when we have an unvaccinated infant at home? I asked that ? today when I had my shot, & the nurse didn't know the answer. So, I'm not that confident that the pediatric nurse will know the answer either, when DD goes for hers. (DD2 & I have to get the shot b/c of asthma issues, but DH & DD1 are eligible for the nasal mist.)

HonoluluMom
11-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know (or know where to find out) if it's safe for my DH and DD1 to have the nasal flu vaccine, which contains the live virus, when we have an unvaccinated infant at home? I asked that ? today when I had my shot, & the nurse didn't know the answer. So, I'm not that confident that the pediatric nurse will know the answer either, when DD goes for hers. (DD2 & I have to get the shot b/c of asthma issues, but DH & DD1 are eligible for the nasal mist.)

I would call your infant's pediatrician.

MaiseyDog
11-04-2010, 04:55 PM
From the CDC Website

Can people receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) pass the vaccine viruses to others?
In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely. The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%). Because the viruses are weakened, infection is unlikely to result in influenza illness symptoms since the vaccine viruses have not been shown to mutate into typical or naturally occurring influenza viruses.

Can contacts of people with weakened immune systems get the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?
People who are in contact with others with severely weakened immune systems when they are being cared for in a protective environment (for example, people with hematopoietic stem cell transplants), should not get LAIV (FluMist®). People who have contact with others with lesser degrees of immunnosuppression (for example, people with diabetes, people with asthma taking corticosteroids, or people infected with HIV) can get LAIV (FluMist®).

I don't think I would be comfortable having someone in the house get it when there was an unvaccinated infant, but that is just me. Others may look at the risk and feel it's more acceptable.

Roni
11-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks! That definitely sounds iffy.