PDA

View Full Version : How long does teething last?

PGTB
11-04-2010, 04:48 PM
DS has been showing the symptoms of teething for a long time now. The last two weeks have been the worst especially the last week. He is 6 months old and he has never been a good sleeper since turning 3 months old. But this last week has been a killer. He tends to wake up and stay up for 2-3 hours at a time or wake up every hour. We gave him silicon teether and a cloth toy to chew on, but he is still very fussy and simply impossible to put to sleep.

I see the white spot in the middle of the bottom gum and he is also itching this spot and the sides of his gums with everything he can get including the bottle nipple.

I am hoping for the bottom tooth to finally cut through the gum, I try to feel it every day and nothing happens for a week already.

This is our first baby, so I have not clue what to do, the websites all offer different info :gloomy:

AnnieW625
11-04-2010, 05:33 PM
DD1 started teething at 5 months and didn't get her first two teeth until she was just shy of 9 months old (ironically two days after Christmas! he he, she got her two front teeth). She got most of her non molar teeth between 10 and 18 months. DD1 didn't get her final two yr. molars until just shy of her third birthday. She was a not so great teether. Very much how you are describing your DS. With her it was easier to deal with when she got two at the same time.

DD2 started teething right about 5 months too. She is pretty even keil most of the time and has yet to wake herself up at night screaming (but has in the middle of the day). I can often feel the nub of her first canine tooth coming in but it often gets to the point where we think it is coming in and then it goes right back down.

Sophie The Giraffe (http://www.amazon.com/Vulli-Sophie-the-Giraffe-Teether/dp/B000IDSLOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288906203&sr=8-1), and these animal teethers (we got red and orange in our "colors may vary package" so very gender neutral) (http://www.amazon.com/Vulli-Vanilla-Flavored-Teether-Colors/dp/B001N45DM2/ref=sr_1_9?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1288906270&sr=1-9) have saved us with DD2. Also she likes to put the Aden & Anais blankets in her mouth.

Orajel helped us a lot too with both girls. We also did Hylands with DD1, but they just recalled them so just stick with Orajel.

Momof3Labs
11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
It's pretty much non-stop for the first 1.5-2 years, depending on how quickly your baby gets teeth.

You can use Motrin and/or Tylenol to ease the pain - your ped can tell you how much to give and how often.