PDA

View Full Version : Good lego choice for 6th bday

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-04-2010, 04:55 PM
My son wants legos for his bday but I get so confused with their age breakdowns. Want something that will be interesting to him for a couple years but not way too hard, any recs?

geochick
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Does he want a theme set (my 6yo is into the Harry Potter series right now), or just a bucket of blocks?

My ds finds the sets that say age 6-12 pretty easy. He often needs a bit of help with the 8-14 sets, but still loves doing them.

carolinamama
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM
DS1 is 5 and really wants the Harry Potter stuff for Christmas. He will need help putting it together but it's a good activity for us to do together. We also have several sets of just blocks and lots of the city line. He does pretty well putting together the smallish vehicles etc together on his own. Don't forget to buy a few of the plates so he can build his own creations on them.

Momof3Labs
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Any of the sets that start at 6yo or 7yo would probably be fine. How about a Brickmaster set (it has a modest number of blocks and instructions for making multiple different things with those blocks)?

geochick
11-04-2010, 05:49 PM
My 6yo also likes stuff like this...
http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Crazy-Action-Contraptions-Sillinger/dp/1591747694/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1288907293&sr=8-17

KpbS
11-04-2010, 11:19 PM
My soon to be 6 yo got this set over the summer and has enjoyed it (with some help)
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3779120
It is for ages 7-14 but was a very rare impulse buy. He is getting this Brickmaster Atlantis set for his birthday http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Lego-Brickmaster/Dorling-Kindersley-Publishing-Staff/e/9780756668532/?itm=1&USRI=lego+atlantis (cheaper at Barnes and Noble.com) that I think will be right up his alley. A bunch of bricks and lots to build. He really likes the Atlantis theme.

hth

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
My 6 year old would like Lego Star Wars or Lego Atlantis for Christmas. We have also enjoyed some Lego City cets and Lego Racers recently.

He got one for his birthday that wasn't that fun, IMO. It was maybe for 8-14? He needed quite a bit of help and now we have this giant LEGO thing laying around. I hate to break it back up after it took him 3 weeks to build. I don't see that particular series on the LEGO sight now, so maybe it was a regift or something.

KrisM
11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
DS1 is currently wanting the Power Miners and Space Police Legos. He also likes the trains and will be getting another train this year.

kristac
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
DS1 will be 6 four days after Christmas, he has duplos but this will be our first plunge into real legos. So far I have 2 games (Lava Dragon and Race 300) and some of the $2.99 sets from Target's halloween spot for his stocking. I think we might start with the brickmaster books and maybe the crazy action contraption one.

Also concidering a box of just blocks (which one?), a baseplate, and the City Advent Calendar.

I don't want to go too Lego crazy but we are long overdue to start collecting. I will probably only do a few for Christmas and hold the rest back for his bday to be sure they are a success.

hellokitty
11-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Oooh, I just got my target holiday catalog and noticed that they have a special edition (target only) atlantis set that is like a transformer!!! DS1 is really into trying to making his legos transformers and he has almost all of the atlantis series. Don't know if your son likes transformers or not, the set looks so cool, transforming lego, how much better can it get? It is listed $39.xx and I think there is a $5 off coupon.

katydid1971
11-05-2010, 09:55 PM
My soon to be 6 yo got this set over the summer and has enjoyed it (with some help)
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3779120
It is for ages 7-14 but was a very rare impulse buy. He is getting this Brickmaster Atlantis set for his birthday http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Lego-Brickmaster/Dorling-Kindersley-Publishing-Staff/e/9780756668532/?itm=1&USRI=lego+atlantis (cheaper at Barnes and Noble.com) that I think will be right up his alley. A bunch of bricks and lots to build. He really likes the Atlantis theme.

hth
These are $14.50 at Costco right now (they have all 4 brickmaster sets for that price right now)

Tondi G
11-06-2010, 01:20 AM
These are $14.50 at Costco right now (they have all 4 brickmaster sets for that price right now)

YUP I got one of each set ... pirates, atlantis, star wars and castle. My boys will each get 2 of them for Christmas.

citymama
11-06-2010, 02:31 AM
My 6 yr old nephew wanted Lego Star Wars for his birthday so that might be a good option for him. They have age guidelines on the boxes.

jvs195
11-06-2010, 09:12 AM
We are nearly buried in Lego, but they all get played with a lot. At first DS (6 in Jan also) needed help with building but after a few sets he can figure most out by himself and I just help with the hard stuff (and brick separating). At first he would only build like the directions and try to keep them together like that, but now he builds them once, then makes his own creations from all of the accumulated parts. Hours of creative building.

His generous Auntie has gotten him most of the Atlantis, tons of the Star Wars, I just started the Lego Holiday Village for DH (what was I thinking???) We have the Minifigure Set #2 and can't wait for Set #3. I got the Advent calendar (it has good extra parts) I'd get a box of bricks to expand and maybe one theme set and some little sets for stocking stuffers. The Brickmasters are also a big hit.

KpbS
11-06-2010, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the heads up! We don't have Costco here--wish we did.