PDA

View Full Version : Really???

hobie
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I had to re-do an installation in the parking lot at school today. A Grandma (our neighbor, actually) was waiting to pick up her grandson, and a younger sibling, 'B' 2.5yrs, was in the car. B's carseat was 'installed' sideways in the back seat of the pick-up. Yes, sideways, with the seatbelt draped around the chair! I said that the chair didn't look quite right, and Grandma assured me that 'B' would put on the buckles when they were ready to leave. Umm, not really my point. So I opened the door and showed here where the LATCH anchers were in the back, and how the chair was supposed to be installed. Of course, once the chair was installed, 'B' climbed in, and the shoulder straps were way below her shoulders. The bell had rung, and all of the kids were ready to go, so I wasn't able to fix the straps. The Dad is supposed to fix the straps later, but I'm not holding my breath.

It blows me away that she thought that the car seat was in the car "good enough"! Yes, she only lives a few miles from school on rural roads, but isn't that where most accidents happen? CRAZY!

And a question...the back seat of the pick-up is not very deep. The front half of the chair is hanging off of the bench, so the install does not feel very secure (although much better than the sidways install!). Is there a different 5pt/booster combo chair that would fit there? Current chair is a Cosco. Grandma suggested putting her in a booster, but I immediately said that 'B' wasn't old enough yet, and mentioned that my 7yo was still in a 5pt because it is so much safer.

resipsaloquitur
11-04-2010, 06:28 PM
It's crazy what some people think. But I bet it feels good to help someone out- so many others would just be horrified but not do anything.

edurnemk
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow, I can't believe it occurred to her to install it sideways! And I can't believe the parents didn't give her some basic instructions for installing the car seat.

Good job on helping her out!

sariana
11-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Did she think it fit better sideways because of the narrow seat?:dizzy:

arivecchi
11-05-2010, 11:19 AM
:47: Wow. Just wow. So glad you helped her out.

hellokitty
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
That is insane, but sadly, I could imagine my parents and my in laws doing the exact same thing. There is so much ignorance about carseats, and it isn't just the elderly, I find that most ppl with children are pretty clueless too.