PDA

View Full Version : Uplifting/Inspiring Halloween Story

Bens Momma
11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
This comes from a blog that someone shared with me. I think it's an awesome story on so many levels!! A great reminder to help our children fly no matter what wings they want to use! I had to ask myself if I would've had the same courage and spirit that this mother and child had! What would you have done??

http://nerdyapplebottom.com/2010/11/02/my-son-is-gay/

:applause:For NerdyApplebottom and Boo:applause:

LMPC
11-04-2010, 08:30 PM
No surprise (hopefully) that I love this story and would absolutely.without.a.doubt have done the same thing as this mom! Thanks for sharing this link, OP! I wish my SIL had read it when her son (then 5 now 12) wanted to be a "fairy" for Halloween....she told him that they weren't going ToTing that year. I was so so sad for him!

ha98ed14
11-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I think it's great that she was open to letting him do it and bought him the costume; however, I think when he expressed nervousness and reservations not once, but twice (!), she should not have pressured him to go in. It is hard to discern "encouragement" from "pressure", but the fact that he expressed a desire not to go in wearing the costume AND that the costume worn by a boy could be a point of ridicule AND that she knew that in the back of her mind... I think she should have listened to him.

FWIW, I agree there is a total double standard. Her daughter could have gone as Batman and no one would blink. Its not fair, but true none the less.

Penny's Pappa
11-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I think it's great that she was open to letting him do it and bought him the costume; however, I think when he expressed nervousness and reservations not once, but twice (!), she should not have pressured him to go in. It is hard to discern "encouragement" from "pressure", but the fact that he expressed a desire not to go in wearing the costume AND that the costume worn by a boy could be a point of ridicule AND that she knew that in the back of her mind... I think she should have listened to him.

FWIW, I agree there is a total double standard. Her daughter could have gone as Batman and no one would blink. Its not fair, but true none the less.

I understand what you're saying. There are elements to this story that make it seem like the mom was pushing him to go through with it so she could prove a point. So I can totally see where you're coming from.

But, let's say we give the mom the benefit of the doubt here; maybe there's a lesson to be learned by not staying in the car? All he wanted was to be Daphne for Halloween. Why should he have to back down from that just because someone might ridicule him for it?

Everyone is ridiculed at some point in their lives. It's inevitable. When it happens, we can either lock ourselves in the car or we can rock out our Daphne costumes. Apparently this mom thought it better to do the latter.

Oh, and I'm sorry to say that this story was posted here earlier today:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=376739