PDA

View Full Version : Would you drive 2 1/2 hours to go to a Container store?

infomama
11-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Really...I am considering doing this over the weekend. I just have to get my place buttoned down and I know the CS will be able to help me out. I keep mulling this over (like for the past few months) but I have yet to hit the road. Am I nutso? Oh and that is one way (shopping mecca is at the end of the rainbow which could spell trouble).

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-04-2010, 08:55 PM
website, baby!

infomama
11-04-2010, 08:56 PM
for real.. your right by one and you say no?

LMPC
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
My first reaction was "Hell no!" but then I remembered that I drive that far to an Ikea...:bag Is there anything else to do while you are in that area? Maybe to sweeten the pot? (Or in this case, empty the purse?)

HIU8
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
No way. Internet all the way. I have one 10 minutes from me though and I rarely go in it unless I need something very specific that I can't get at Target or another store.

TwinFoxes
11-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Nope. But my house is unorganized, so don't listen to me. ;)

Ceepa
11-04-2010, 09:08 PM
If you're like me you like to stroll the aisles, pick up items, really imagine them in your home. I can't do that as well looking at things online. If you've been contemplating it for months I'd make the trip, but prepare first. Know just what you're looking for, do research on the site, bring measurments of spaces you're filling. You don't want to have a car full of containers that don't work for you so I would buy the things that you know you want and leave questionable items for online purchasing at a later time if you realize you want them.

Also, try to combine other stops in the trip so it's better use of your time. Other stores of interest.

boolady
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
No. I have one about 40 minutes away, and really only go there if I'm headed somewhere else nearby. I was so pumped to go to ours when it opened, but I wasn't bowled over, TBH. I think it's very expensive for what you get, and we got a shower organizer on a pole thingie from there that the finish started peeling off of after a few months. It wasn't cheap, and I wanted to return it, but DH told me to let it go. I always feel like I have these high hopes when I go in there looking for something, but then either don't find it, don't like the selection, or can't spend the money and just go somewhere else.

If there are things you're set on, I'd just buy them online.

crl
11-04-2010, 09:23 PM
No. It's an illusion. ;). Going there doesn't actually make my house more organized.

I'd go to Target, etc or order from the website.

Catherine

HIU8
11-04-2010, 09:24 PM
FWIW, it's overpriced and really not that big a deal of a store. But, that's just my opinion. Like I said before, I never buy anything from them unless I can't find it someplace else first (Target, Bed Bath and Beyond). But, I also have an IKEA 20 minutes away and I've been there 2x in 7 years, so I'm not one to make special trips just b/c. I have to need to get something specific from a place I'm going to travel out of my way to (Around here a 20 minute highway drive is out of my way since literally every store I would ever need is basically at my doorstep). So take what I say with a grain of salt, but like I said, it's just my opinion.

lchang25000
11-04-2010, 09:35 PM
FWIW, it's overpriced and really not that big a deal of a store. But, that's just my opinion. Like I said before, I never buy anything from them unless I can't find it someplace else first (Target, Bed Bath and Beyond). But, I also have an IKEA 20 minutes away and I've been there 2x in 7 years, so I'm not one to make special trips just b/c. I have to need to get something specific from a place I'm going to travel out of my way to (Around here a 20 minute highway drive is out of my way since literally every store I would ever need is basically at my doorstep). So take what I say with a grain of salt, but like I said, it's just my opinion.

:yeahthat: I totally agree with this...definitely not worth it IMO.

WolfpackMom
11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I think it's very expensive for what you get.... I always feel like I have these high hopes when I go in there looking for something, but then either don't find it, don't like the selection, or can't spend the money and just go somewhere else.

If there are things you're set on, I'd just buy them online.

:yeahthat: I used to have a couple right by me when I lived in CA and went and certainly liked browsing it but its $$. I did buy some neat containers there for party favors but in hindsight could have gotten them online in bulk for much cheaper. We had one open here a month or so ago and I have yet to go, probably only would if I need something specific and I am in the area.

khm
11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
No I wouldn't drive that far a Container Store. I would totally for IKEA though!

Container Store is pricey, not to mention filling the car with 5 hrs worth of gas!! I was recently looking for a specific style of craft container. CS had one online, but I couldn't stomach the price for what it was. Couldn't pull the trigger. Ended up finding one at a craft store for like 1/5 the price.

I have ordered from them (per that genius Expedit/CS thread someone had awhile back....), and do like a lot of their stuff, but I do not think it is the mecca of organization that you are imagining! Good stuff can be had at Staples, Office Depot, Target, Walmart, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, et al. :)

Do you get the CS catalog? I use it as inspiration!

ha98ed14
11-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Deleted.

SORRY! I thought this was Nicci's thread. She lives close-ish.

tiapam
11-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Well, I am kind of addicted, so maybe a bit of an enabler. But I am spoiled and can get to three different stores within 30 minutes.

If you are going by yourself, and the drive is not too much for you, I would go. If that's what you want to do with your free mommy time, then go for it.

What I like about the store:
clean (incl. nice bathrooms)
bright
spacious
helpful staff
clearance spot (don't miss it!)
take returns any time I believe

edurnemk
11-04-2010, 10:01 PM
For some other stores, maybe, for Container Store, no way. Like pp's have said it's nice but not that great. I'd purchase online, but only for things I couldn't find at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond. The most I've driven to get to a Container Store is 45 minutes and I felt it was a total waste of my time. Now I'll only go (my mom loves to go, but she never finds the magical solutions she dreams of) if I have something else to do in the area.

Clarity
11-04-2010, 10:06 PM
No way, no. I'm never that impressed. You can find equally wonderful things at Ikea or online.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
no. i have two Container Stores within a 10minute drive of my house. in the past 6 mos i think i've been there only twice. and once was bc it was a grand opening and they were giving out free gelato :)

it's a nice store, and has some great items but not worth driving 2.5 hrs imo. i would either get the stuff online from the website, or find it elsewhere (target, ikea). also, i think a lot of stuff there are novelty or holiday items.

eta: tho if you're interested in getting a custom elfa system then it's worth it going in person..we have 2 elfa systems (one for our garage, another for scrapbooking area) and it was worth the consultation with the employees there.

infomama
11-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Officially talked out of it. Thanks for the reality check.

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Well, I have to say that I visited our brand new one the morning after we returned from our trip - this past Monday. I was seriously panting b/c I was so excited. My plan was to buy a bunch of the sweater boxes and deep sweater boxes. They ARE really nice, and they are in shapes/depths that other boxes from everywhere else are not. I like that they have the same lids and fit a lot more than tapered boxes or those ones with latches that break.

I was going to put in an order online, then thought about doing the 20% off and store pickup, but I decided to walk through and feel everything once. I really enjoyed that part. I saw and picked up several items we really needed - accordian wall-mounted drying rack, nylon laundry bag for travel, a panda trash can for DD's room, some amazing paper sorter where the trays slide out. We can access construction paper SO much easier now.

I say to grab a like-minded friend and go. Do a click and pick up order with a coupon code for things you really want (and add some others to look at then return), drink a mocha, and have some good adult conversation time. I be there is another store nearby that you'd really enjoy visiting, right?

Are you talked back into yet?

amldaley
11-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Without reading all other responses....

HECK YEAH I WOULD.

I miss living near a Container Store soooooo much. And I drive 2.5 hours a couple of times a year just to go to Trader Joes.

CS's clear storage boxes are the BEST. After we moved here, I once drove back to Maryland, 7+ hours, to go to CS to stock up on them!!!!!!!!!!!

fauve01
11-04-2010, 11:50 PM
My first reaction was "Hell no!"

:yeahthat:

niccig
11-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Yes and No. I have one 10 mins from me and I do get things from there. It can be very expensive, so I search online and make sure it will work for my situation and that there isn't any other options elsewhere. It's a long way back to return, so just make sure it will work for you.

I have their sweater boxes in our expedit shelves and it's the best solution for those that I've found. I also have some of their containers to organize drawers, and again best I've found for my particular situation.

KpbS
11-04-2010, 11:55 PM
I agree with all of the "Nos." It's a nice store but definitely overpriced. There are lots of alternative storage and home organization alternatives at Target, Walmart, etc. I've never bought anything there and nothing is on my list. Now Ikea.......I could be talked into for sure :)

amldaley
11-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Well, I have to say that I visited our brand new one the morning

WAIT. WHAT????????????? You have a CS now?????? That means I have a CS now!!!!! CH? Raleigh? Cary? Ok, now I have to go the their site and see where it is!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, this level of excitement can't be good. I need to slow down and take a deep breath. It is midnight, they are closed tomorrow and I can't go Saturday. So Sunday is the soonest I could go. Maybe I need to take a day off work but leave DD in daycare so I can shop unencumbered. Maybe I need to get the oil changed on DH's truck so I can take that instead of my car.

Oh, Container Store! You have found me once again! I knew you would come for me one day!

(I seriously am not sure I will be able to sleep tonight now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

....Oh, CS, how do I love the, let me count the ways. I love your Elfa shelving, and I love you storage boxes. I love your trash cans and I love you travel gear. I love your clean carpeted floors and your selection of hangars. I love your hooks and I love your cubbies......

HannaAddict
11-05-2010, 02:07 AM
No way. We are near one (20 minutes to the burbs). It is fun to wander around, but not that fun and for the most part, more of the same that is available at a big housewares store. No way, I think you would be sorely disappointed.

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Yay, A-M! I'm glad you'll be able to make it over there!

BTW, I forgot the part about my 20% off...I inquired about placing an online order and picking it up vs. using a printable 20% off in-store. They said there was no printable version, but they did end up "teaching" me about how you can call from your car once you arrive and they will bring it out to you. They did let me have 20% off just this one time as a special thing.

They said next time I could get around it by using my smartphone in the car and schedule my pickup right then, lol. Not very efficient, but whatever...I just may do it.

I think the special thing about that place is that even though you can find some of the items at Target, BBB, etc, ALL the unique items (that I just love) are all found in one store. I don't have to run to one place for one item, then to another for another item.

amldaley
11-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Yay, A-M! I'm glad you'll be able to make it over there!

BTW, I forgot the part about my 20% off...I inquired about placing an online order and picking it up vs. using a printable 20% off in-store. They said there was no printable version, but they did end up "teaching" me about how you can call from your car once you arrive and they will bring it out to you. They did let me have 20% off just this one time as a special thing.

They said next time I could get around it by using my smartphone in the car and schedule my pickup right then, lol. Not very efficient, but whatever...I just may do it.

I think the special thing about that place is that even though you can find some of the items at Target, BBB, etc, ALL the unique items (that I just love) are all found in one store. I don't have to run to one place for one item, then to another for another item.

What 20% off??? I don't see it on their website? I am all about walking out with my phone to order. Go grab some lunch and come back to pick it up!

It's location is where we meet a friend for lunch and shopping a couple of times a year already, and we go there once every Christmas season just for hustle, bustle, decorations & window shopping.

Their clear boxes http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10000166&N=&Ntt=sweater+box are the BEST and they are NOT available at Target, Ikea, etc. They are exclusive to CS.

I agree about the tons of unique items. The store gets me thinking. Sometimes if I found an item there that I was sure I could find again online, I would check it out in CS then shop online for it (such as Eagle Creek items).

For those that say they live close by and only go twice a year, well...yeah. You can choose to go whenever you want. And twice a year is plenty probably. Especially when you know that you can go again if you want/need.

For those of us who do not have anything better than Target close by and the closest Ikea is 6 hours away, we tend to get a little more excited about a road trip to CS. CS tends to be in areas where there are other great stores, and usually great restaraunts (something else woefully lacking where I live!)

When we lived in Baltimore, we would make a day of driving down to Rockville and we would hit Container Store, Tower Records, eat at Lebanese Taverna, stop in at Whole Foods and then head over to Ikea. It was such an urban/suburban treat!

WatchingThemGrow
11-05-2010, 07:38 AM
MCS6303 is the code I found by googling to get 20% off an online order to pick up in store.

amldaley
11-05-2010, 07:53 AM
MCS6303 is the code I found by googling to get 20% off an online order to pick up in store.

:kisscheek: Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KrisM
11-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Quite possibly. Earlier in the year, I got a bunch of the sweater boxes, etc for the Expedit and the shipping was $30+. I would have driven for that, figuring I'm paying less for gas :). And, for a half day of shopping to myself...definitely!

Andi98989
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
A few times a year I make the 3-4 hour trek from Michigan to Schaumburg so that I can go to Ikea, Container Store, Lands End Inlet, The Great Indoors, Woodfield Mall, etc.... I make it into a fun weekend - usually take my mom, SIL or a girlfriend with me. We Priceline a hotel (usually come in under $50) and have a blast shopping at stores we don't normally get to, and eating at different restaurants. We'll also make a stop at Trader Joe's and the Michigan City outlets on our way back.

So, I wouldn't go just for the Container Store, but I would totally make a trip that included it.

ehf
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
I won't drive 10 minutes for one.

We used to live within walking distance. They never seemed to have whatever container we needed, despite being the container store! Their prices are often outrageous, too.

I like Target or Home Depot better. Decide what kinds of organizers you need and look online before you drive anywhere.

jess_g
11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
I think it depends how much you think it would be worth to you. I have only shopped at the Container Store once and it is a nice store. I would look online and see if they have things that you realy want to check out first and then put a list together and then decide. Now if there was an Ikea or something else nearby I would defenitly make the trip.

I would drive 1 1/2 hours to a Hanna outlet and 2 hours is not that much further so I think the drive is doable.

ETA: Maybe you should post a poll?

Jessica.

AnnieW625
11-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Only if I needed to get the Elfa storage system during their 20% off sale and shipping was outrageous. I really really like the Elfa system and their employees are a great help getting it all set up too. If that were the case I'd also plan on just spending the night if possible and making a weekend out of it. Otherwise if there is something you really want just order it online. I don't go there much and can find some better deals on things at other places, but it is kind of a cool place to go at least once.

MamaSnoo
11-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Probably not. The prices are high, I don't always find what I need. I could just do it online....etc

meira
11-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Found this on slick deals

The Container Store Stacking Codes 10% off and Free Shipping
This is more of a "warm" deal...

The Container Store [containerstore.com] is offering 10% off your total purchase using code WRr333 (be sure to copy that exact formation).

That can be also stacked with this free shipping code: THANKYOU

No minimum purchase.

Reina
11-06-2010, 03:28 PM
How far is IKEA from you infomama? You can find EVERYTHING you would find in a Container Store at IKEA but only less than half the price. IKEA is worth even a 4 hour drive...

wellyes
11-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't. But if you are going to, I'd order anything you think you might want with the free shipping code (above) so that you can return whatever you end up not wanting when you make the trek.

infomama
11-06-2010, 03:59 PM
How far is IKEA from you infomama? You can find EVERYTHING you would find in a Container Store at IKEA but only less than half the price. IKEA is worth even a 4 hour drive...
We are 90 minutes from an Ikea. we make the trek there twice a year.

dec756
11-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Noooooo way!

kijip
11-06-2010, 04:30 PM
No I would not. It is not that great. I regretted driving to a close suburb for it.

Melanie
11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I was so excited to go to one when we were scoping out this area to move here, and when I finally got there I was rather underwhelmed. It's all so pricey. So I guess it depends upon your budget. After we moved, I did end up with a couple of roll-out drawer baskets (Elfa) to install, and I do think they are great, but they cost a mint. I definitely wouldn't drive 2 1/2 hours to one now that I have been there.

Definitely Prefer Ikea, unless you've got lots of money to plunk down on some closet or cabinet "systems."

DebbieJ
11-06-2010, 11:38 PM
NO way would I make the drive. Shop online, find alternatives elsewhere nearby.

srhs
11-07-2010, 12:08 AM
If it was near a TJs and an IKEA