PDA

View Full Version : Wii v XBox

mamica
11-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Can someone summarize the difference/pros/cons/etc between these 2 systems? Thanks!

infomama
11-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I'll raise you a Playstation move.... http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20021813-1.html

hellokitty
11-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Well, we have all three. I'll share a very brief impression of each system.

The wii is IMO the most family friendly, I like the game selection. Edited to add that the wii is considered the, lowest quality in graphics. However, my pov is that it is mainly a guy concern. My DH whines about the graphics on the wii all of the time and tells me how much more superior the xbox and PS3 are. However, I don't care, b/c I like the wii games better and I like cartoonish games.

X-box is basically just for guys. It's all guy games. I hate it, and obviously only my DH uses it. It's all sports, shoot 'em up or driving games.

Playstation- has a good variety of games and my DH loves it for the blu-ray capability. My DH considers the playstation a computer, not just a game system.

All three systems allow you to get netflix instant view access.

Penny's Pappa
11-04-2010, 11:32 PM
As a guy, I'll chime in and sort of agree with much of what hellokitty said. The Xbox and the PS3 are typically considered to be "for guys"; however, this is due in large part because gaming in general is typically considered a "guy thing." Fortunately, that is starting to change. More and more women are getting involved in gaming, both recreationally and competitively (yes, there are professional gaming leagues).

So, with that being said, the Xbox and the PS3 are really less a "guys' system" and more a "gamer's system." The Wii is by far the more family-friendly of the three, but it's inferior graphics capabilities and relative lack of adult titles hinders it's acceptance amongst the gaming community as a "true" gaming system.

That isn't to say it's not fun, because it is. Graphics aren't everything, but when you couple poorer graphics with more child-oriented material, it's hard for a "hardcore gamer" to take the system too seriously. The Xbox and the PS3 just do so much more in terms of graphics quality and realism that the Wii seems more like a kid's toy than a serious multimedia gaming machine.

BillK
11-05-2010, 08:52 AM
What Penny's Pappa said.

I have all 3 and unless my boys are being given their hour or two a week of video game time - the Wii gathers dust for the most part. It's great for younger kids and the games are good but the sub-par graphics and lack of games for the older set really do limit it. It's a good system for a family of non-gamers that want a video game.

If you have any gamers in your family then a Xbox 360 or PS3 would be a better option. They both have kids games (though not the Mario franchise like Wii) but will also satisfy the gamer of your family too.

Corie
11-05-2010, 09:01 AM
We have the Wii and Playstation 3.

The Wii hardly gets used.

The Playstation is played with all the time. My son got it for his birthday.
He loves it. DS and DH play together.

We are getting DS the wireless headset so he can play games against his
uncle in Texas. He is super excited!!

Binkandabee
11-05-2010, 11:09 AM
We have a wii and a playstation 3. We use both regularly but for different reasons. We play the Wii....it has a ton of family and girl friendly games. The playstation is what we use to watch netflix from...it's really more like a computer in our house. But we only have one game for it Little Big Planet and it gets played but not nearly as much as the wii does.

hellokitty
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
We have a wii and a playstation 3. We use both regularly but for different reasons. We play the Wii....it has a ton of family and girl friendly games. The playstation is what we use to watch netflix from...it's really more like a computer in our house. But we only have one game for it Little Big Planet and it gets played but not nearly as much as the wii does.

Lol, our wii and PS3 are used more for netflix, than for playing games. We would never have gotten a wii, if it were not a gift from my brother. The games my DH has for his xbox and PS are totally inappropriate for young children. I agree though that if you are have big gamers in your family, go with the xbox or PS. I am totally not picky about videogames. I was disappointed that our childhood first generation nintendo no longer works, b/c I much prefer it to the newer systems, I don't like any of the 3d type of stuff, it makes me dizzy. Yes, I realize I sound reallllly old.

JElaineB
11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
I was disappointed that our childhood first generation nintendo no longer works, b/c I much prefer it to the newer systems, I don't like any of the 3d type of stuff, it makes me dizzy. Yes, I realize I sound reallllly old.

Have you downloaded any virtual console NES games for Wii? You do have to get a classic controller for the wiimote to use them but they are same games.

wellyes
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
As a guy, I'll chime in and sort of agree with much of what hellokitty said. The Xbox and the PS3 are typically considered to be "for guys"; however, this is due in large part because gaming in general is typically considered a "guy thing." Fortunately, that is starting to change. More and more women are getting involved in gaming, both recreationally and competitively (yes, there are professional gaming leagues).

I'm a female gamer :jammin:
My rule of thumb, if the person you're buying for doesn't know what an RPG is and doesn't have a list of the Top 5 FPS games ever, get a Wii.

codex57
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
PS3: most versatile since it has a Blu-Ray player standard (and is considered one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market). Tons of games too.

Wii: most family friendly cuz there are a ton of motion remote games that really young and more senior folks seem to enjoy. The Microsoft and Sony versions are too new to have much out there yet.

Xbox: some good exclusive games, but these tend to be for "hardcore" gamers cuz they're shoot em ups or are about violence in general. Also, IMO, this is the system that's a complete waste of money. Not cuz it has bad games or specs, but because the quality is utter crap. Think of all the horror stories you've heard about unreliable Korean/American cars, made in China garbage, etc. Roll it all up, and you may come close to how bad the Xbox is. You're EXTREMELY lucky if you don't have to get it replaced multiple times. Often on your dime. I dunno, I just don't get how stupid you'd have to be to willingly invest in a system you KNOW is gonna break on you (usually several times).

hellokitty
11-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Have you downloaded any virtual console NES games for Wii? You do have to get a classic controller for the wiimote to use them but they are same games.

Yeah, the problem is I don't have time to play games, lol. DH downloaded a bunch of those games onto my palm pre, but I can't figure out which buttons to use and don't get to play anyway, b/c I am always chasing around my toddler. Yeah, I am just not the most tech savvy person out there. Thanks for the suggestion though. I did download dr. mario to our wii, and that keeps me happy.

ladysoapmaker
11-05-2010, 07:11 PM
We have Wii and a Playstation2 and an assortment of older game systems. I know several folks with the PS3 and they are hardcore gamers. Our DS#1 (14 yr old) is clambering for a PS3 or and Xbox but at this time we have decided no.

I love the Wii for working out with. I have the Fitness game and it's so a good way to get back into exercising again. (I need to schedule time again).

For families with younger kids I would recommend the Wii. FOr those with older kids or adults who are gamers then the PS3 or the Xbox.

Jen

lhafer
11-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Okay, we have 2 XBoxes, a PS3, a Wii, and just today a Kinect. We have had the Xboxes for the longest (literally since they came out) and have one issue with one ONCE. DH is a gamer, and has lots of games for all of the systems. We use the XBox the most. We have one in our living room and one in our media room.

We use the PS3 mainly as a blue ray player in our media room, but DH does have some games for it.

The Wii is in our living room and our daughter uses it pretty much exclusively, but mostly it collects dust. She is 4.5 years old and plays Dora, Princess games, and Mario games.

Just got the Kinect tonight and I have to say it's AWESOMENESS!! By far the most fun for me as a non gamer. The whole family can play. It is part of the xbox system.