PDA

View Full Version : trike or bike

lmh2402
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
kettler or RF trike? or bike?

DS will be 21 months a few days past christmas

he's a big boy - currently weighing in at 31 pounds and a bit over 36"

want something that can grow with him

i wasn't even thinking bike until i saw some people talking about balance bikes for 2yo...

edurnemk
11-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Between Kettler and RF, I'd go for Kettler, they're more stable.

I also contemplated getting a balance bike for DS last year, but we tried his cousin's and he was still a little short for it. So we got the Kettler trike at 2 yo. This Christmas we may get the balance bike (he's 32 lb and a bit over 36 inches now, at 2.8 yo), though he still uses and loves his trike.

lmh2402
11-04-2010, 10:03 PM
hmm...so if your DS is now 36 inches and ready for a bb...

i'm not sure what that means for us

anyone familiar with this: http://www.kidsbalancebikes.com/all-balance-bikes/wooden-balance-bikes/wishbone-3-in-1-wooden-balance-bike-and-trike/

pricey. but if the quality is high enough, it could be worth it to use through the various stages...

edurnemk
11-04-2010, 10:07 PM
anyone familiar with this: http://www.kidsbalancebikes.com/all-balance-bikes/wooden-balance-bikes/wishbone-3-in-1-wooden-balance-bike-and-trike/

pricey. but if the quality is high enough, it could be worth it to use through the various stages...

Wow, that looks nice! I wish I'd seen it before buying the Kettler.

LaCostaMom
11-05-2010, 01:23 AM
lmh - my twins are 2.5 & are 31#/38" (DS) and 26#/37" (DD). They are both using the balance bike although I will have to raise the seat for DS.

My plan for our balance bike is to transition them straight to a 2-wheeler (no training wheels) by the time they're 4 if not earlier.

The Strider has the lowest "clearance" to the ground. My friend's 4 yr old is now on a traditional 2-wheeler after starting with the Strider when she was 3 so it will definitely grow with you.

That's a beautiful bike that you posted. My hesitation in it is that it looks like it's meant to last through at least 3 stages of riding. I would worry about how well the wood would hold up. If I was going to spend that much, I'd probably go with an aluminum/alloy material. We got the Specialized Hotwalk. It's built like a full-sized Specialized bike - very solid. Resale is very good on Specialized, too.