PDA

View Full Version : No nursing pillow?

peggy_morrison
11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi - I have been using "My Breast Friend" nursing pillow for the past 6 weeks but would like to "learn" to nurse without anything so when I am out and about with LO it's easier for me to nurse him in public. What has worked for you? Do you have any good pointers? I feel clumsy without and LO has a hard time. Thanks.

Kymberley
11-05-2010, 09:31 AM
When I first weened myself from MBF, I would put one foot flat on the floor and set the ankle of the other leg on the first leg's knee, to make a "flat" surface for DS's body while his head was in the crook of my arm. When we switched sides, I switched legs. Now I can use both arms to hold him, but I still cross my legs for his bum if he needs it. I hope that makes sense!

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Life circumstances made me learn. An unexpected marathon day in the hospital with dh when ds1 was a baby made me nurse everywhere. I looked for chairs with arms and piled coats or bags on one side.

Beth

Katigre
11-05-2010, 09:59 AM
You can definitely learn to go without the pillow. The trick is to bring the baby up to your breasts instead of leaning down to the baby (ouch on the neck/back!). You'll want to raise up your legs so that your lap is higher. Also practice the reverse football hold - one hand holding the baby's head to help with latching and the other holding the baby's body to hold it in a parallel line.

Right now you'll likely need to sit in order to nurse, but with practice you'll be able to nurse standing up too (even with a newborn). Good luck!

hellokitty
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM
When I first weened myself from MBF, I would put one foot flat on the floor and set the ankle of the other leg on the first leg's knee, to make a "flat" surface for DS's body while his head was in the crook of my arm. When we switched sides, I switched legs. Now I can use both arms to hold him, but I still cross my legs for his bum if he needs it. I hope that makes sense!

:yeahthat: Plus, tucking a jacket or coat under my arm helped a lot too.

Momto1
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Ditto on crossing your legs and using whatever "props" you have handy. In the beginning, I found it easiest to sit cross-legged and prop my elbow up with my diaper bag.

BabyBearsMom
11-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I did the leg cross. When your LO gets bigger it gets easier. DD is 7 months old and she just sits on my lap while we nurse (she is very tall).