PDA

View Full Version : Brand-new moms: what are you wearing?

luckytwenty
11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
I know this phase doesn't last all that long, but with a four day old baby, I still look pregnant. Maybe 5-6 months along. I know I could wear my maternity clothes, but I'd actually rather look fat than pregnant right now, since I am not!! I also have my son's bris in three days, and need to wear something kind of nice for that. I think I'll have to suck it up and wear a maternity dress to that, rather than attempt to buy something that will fit me for a few weeks, but in general I don't like things that make me look like I have thin arms and legs and a giant gut anymore!

Fortunately I am home and can just live in sweats and DH's T-shirts for most of the time. Ugh!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Not your demographic but I wore yoga pants almost non stop. :) Loved the fold over top because if I flipped it up I'd get some support. I bought a pair of jeans eventually (like at 3w pp) in a bigger size. Yoga pants and hoodies.

Beth

AnnieW625
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Just be comfortable. I am sure no one will comment on your maternity dress; you are at a bris with a week old baby they get it. Enjoy!

I wore my maternity clothes for at least a month, and wore my maternity tops most of the time I was breast feeding (so three months). I loved my yoga pants for lounging around the house.

stinkyfeet
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
The yoga pants idea is a good one. You can actually dress them up a bit. Also you can probably wear any maternity pant that was designed to fit below the belly. I also think that leggins are a good idea. I just bought a bunch of low-rise leg gins at old navy to wear now and for the the first few months post-parturm (and maybe even after--there were a lot of great reviews on them!)

For tops, you can probably try to wear the style of top that is puffs out like a dress below the bustline (empire?). Also, good tops that just tend to be designed with a looser fit around the belly.

I think that it should be fine to wear a maternity dress for the bris. No one is probably paying attention to you anyway--your baby is the star of the day! Also, it probably is more important that you are groomed well that day with nice hair and make up than with what you actually wear. Ppl don't expect the mom to look like Heidi klum a week after giving birth!

luckytwenty
11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Yoga pants are a great idea. I actually have them somewhere--I Space Bagged all my pre-pregnancy clothes, but those would be something that I could fit into.

I think I'm going to wear a maternity dress and the baby in a Bjorn on top. He will be the perfect accessory. :-P And yes, it is all friends and family...they know I just had a baby so I won't get those "When are you due?" questions from them.

YouAreTheFocus
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
This doesn't help with dressing up, but for everyday, I wore pants like these, from Old Navy. The waistband was very comfy, and it felt good to wear normal pants.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=7520&vid=1&pid=792270&scid=792270002

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=7520&vid=1&pid=812376&scid=812376002

newg
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I actually have a dress skirt that is an elastic waist. DD2 is three months old and it is the only "dress" clothes that I can fit into.
I also have some bella bands that I used in the beginning of my pregnancy that I could also use now to either hold up maternity pants or to help me fit into my regular pants. I think they sell some at Target now.
LE has a really pretty wrap dress right now that would probably work for now and then continue to work as your belly keeps shrinking.

For every day wear I go with what pp have mentioned......yoga pants. I can dress them up or down every easily and they fit no matter what my shape is. I still have a few maternity tops that I'll wear, plus my some of my regular tops too.

kam
11-05-2010, 02:38 PM
For the first week I wore my "smaller" maternity jeans and bigger shirts. Then I graduated to jeans a size too big (my mom wears 1 size up from me). I wore a lot of my bigger tops, mostly to accommodate my bust. button down flannel shirts around the house,and nicer sweaters outside.

I was back in my own dresses -- not my smallest -- by the time DD was baptized at 2 months, and back in my own clothes in general by the time she was 3 months. A few of my absolute smallest clothes were a little longer than that.

swissair81
11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I wore a maternity dress that I bought around Passover time- I was about 20 weeks then. It fit perfectly at dd3's kiddush. I did something similar for ds's bris.

swissair81
11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Yoga pants are a great idea. I actually have them somewhere--I Space Bagged all my pre-pregnancy clothes, but those would be something that I could fit into.

I think I'm going to wear a maternity dress and the baby in a Bjorn on top. He will be the perfect accessory. :-P And yes, it is all friends and family...they know I just had a baby so I won't get those "When are you due?" questions from them.

Coming to a bris and asking the mother of the baby when she is due is idiotic. I hope there is no one that stupid in the world.

yournamehere
11-06-2010, 01:13 PM
I wore my maternity tops b/c my boobs got so big when my milk came in and early maternity pants. But I was lucky and fit into my pre preg pants after only 3 weeks. At 3 months my pants are one size smaller :boogie: I am not dieting so it must be all the BF calories being burned.

lovebebes
11-06-2010, 04:27 PM
This can be a frustrating time as far as clothes! The baby's got all the cute stuff and the mama is looking... a bit haggard to say the least lol.

Baby C is 11 days old and so far Ive been out of the house twice. The first time I wore an oversized top from h&m with black leggings, and then yesterday I wore a pair of boyfriend style big denim shorts with a big loose t-shirt.
I actually felt a little bit cute yesterday. Mind you, those denim cut offs are literally 6 sizes too big for me in my non pregnant state-which is the only reason they looked at all acceptable yesterday.

Overall I think that black leggings with an oversized T is my favorite immediate postpartum outfit.

Oh-I wear my belly bandit underneath which SO helps to minimize the gut! Too bad the stupid thing is already about to be too big and I have to buy the smaller one now.

marymoo86
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Just got home today from the hospital and wearing my early maternity clothes until the swelling goes down and then will have to see how things "settle" :)

LadyPeter
11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm wearing one of those waist-cinching panties from Victoria's Secret that firms you all the way up to your bra. Helps with low back pain (from labor, nursing, bending, lifting, etc) and allows me to wear my pre-pregnancy pants. Still wearing a lot of maternity tops, due to 34E madness.

luckytwenty
11-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Does the Belly Bandit feel OK if you have had a c-section? I'm still so sensitive and between the incision and engorgement, I'm not sure I'm willing to suffer to look a bit thinner right now. Every day I do look a bit less pregnant but I still am very far from the old "me," and the bags under my eyes aren't helping, either!!

lovebebes
11-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Does the Belly Bandit feel OK if you have had a c-section? I'm still so sensitive and between the incision and engorgement, I'm not sure I'm willing to suffer to look a bit thinner right now. Every day I do look a bit less pregnant but I still am very far from the old "me," and the bags under my eyes aren't helping, either!!

i dont know, have never had a C, but if i remember correctly I did read something about people actually liking them for post c. Dont quote me on that please, you know ive got the postpartum brain...maybe Amazon reviews mention something? Or just google "c section belly bandit".

One thing i will say is that the bamboo bb is much softer on your skin than the original bb. And the bamboo is on sale now at diapers.com which is where Im about to go and order right now. I need an xs at this point my s is about to stop doing its work.

rkold
11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Like everyone else, I'm in sweats/yoga pants. I feel huge on top, but I actually fit in most of my old tops, it's bras that are my problem. I am planning to wear my one super nice and $$$$$$ dress to DD's naming tomorrow. (I had a wedding for my DB when I was 8 months pregnant and then wore the dress for High Holidays and the shower.) I still look pregnant in it (or possibly plump) but only like 4 or so months. My biggest issue is how the top makes my cleavage now look. It helps oddly enough that the dress is stretchy and has a lot of spandex in it.

scriptkitten
11-06-2010, 11:32 PM
i wore my maternity jeans until they were falling off me in combination with flowy tops and those shawl collar open cardigans.