PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale vs eBay

stephlev
11-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi girls,

Can I please have your opionions on the following: I have some good name brand things in very good condition like Boys Crocs, Converse sneakers, Ergo Baby Carrier that I'd like to sell. Do you think I could get more on eBay or at a garage sale? Also a factor for me is the amount of effort involved, so even if I could get more on eBay, there's the issue of photos, managing listings, shipping, etc. I'm thinking of having a garage sale this Sunday.

What do you all think if the best place for me to sell items like that?

Thanks so much for your input :)

jgenie
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I would try Craigslist first - no fees and whatever pics or write ups you do can be used for ebay if they don't sell on CL. You might also try BBB swap although I can't remember the post # requirement to join.

crayonblue
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Ebay! I just sold my 7 year old Ergo on ebay for almost $70. :)

*newmomma*
11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Have you considered Craig's List? I always try that first, because you don't have to mess with shipping and generally you can get more for name brand items than a garage sale. Next I like Ebay for items that will fit in the USPS flat rate shipping boxes that you can send out from your home. Garage sales are so much work. I had too much stuff to list individually so I broke down and had one a month ago. We made $400, so it was a good thing to do, but still there is so much stuff left over and I have no idea what I want to do with it now...

stephlev
11-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks girls - I think I'll do a combo. Craigslist/eBay for the good stuff and the garage sale for all of the little stuff.

My husband and son are going to be away this weekend and it will be an awesome (and rare) opportunity for me to clean house. (My DH is not a fan of garage sales but I love them :wink2:)

sewarsh
11-05-2010, 02:44 PM
definately ebay. people pay more for used things on ebay than they cost new sometimes. i just don't get it. i feel that people going to garage sales are solely there to find a REALLY good deal. totally put a little more effort and list on ebay.

jvs195
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I have had great luck on ebay with most things (research what they ship for and what they sell for to get an idea where to start). I have never sold good stuff at garage sales because people want to pay $1 or less even if it's new with tags. Craig's list is good for larger items that you don't want to ship on ebay. Consignment sales are good if you have one around you (work to tag and price, but you can get more than at garage sale)

kellij
11-05-2010, 05:14 PM
My experience is that you'll only get a little bit from a garage sale and you're better off just donating it. We had an awesome iron chandelier from a mansion that was remodeled for the decorator's showcase home. Didn't even sell at the garage sale for 20, but sold on cl for 100.

I've had great success with craigslist and ebay. There are also groups on yahoo for specific items.

stephlev
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I think you guys just saved my Sunday. Now I don't even have to get dressed and I can really enjoy the day home alone! Thanks so much.

I will make the effort and take the time to post on CraigsList and eBay.

Thanks again!