PDA

View Full Version : Nativity Thread

kristac
11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Melissa and Doug came out with a Nativity set this year-

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-3858-Nativity-Set/dp/B0043RSSHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1288989594&sr=1-1

I saw it at the local learning store- really lovely in person. Baby Jesus is 2 sided- one side with the empty manger and one side with the baby.

Talk me down ladies- we already have a playmobil nativity ( http://www.amazon.com/Playmobil-5719-Nativity-Set/dp/B000GFHGIS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1288989722&sr=1-3 ) but they have been intigrated into our regular toys and currently baby Jesus is quite happily living in a castle. But I don't NEED another nativity right? (boys are going to be 6, 3.5 and 1)

Post your nativity finds and delimas!

ellies mom
11-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Well, I collect nativity scenes so I'm sure that will bias my response a bit. I don't see any reason why they can't have a second (or more) nativity scene, especially if their first has been incorporated into every day play.

That is a cute set. I can see it coming home with us this year. We have the FP Little People set and the Playmobil set, although the Playmobil one is actually mine, pre-children so it has been put away for the last couple of years. I'll probably pull it out again once the youngest is a bit older. I'm a little too uptight about having all the little bits to just let them have at it.

I'd really like to start buying each girl a piece from the Holztiger style sets every year so that when they move out, they will each have a set to take with them but I haven't yet.

Melaine
11-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh that is super cute. I wonder if AC Moore or Michael's will get it (thinking of coupons!)

katydid1971
11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Hmm, maybe its just the picture but the M&D set doesn't do anything for me. I think the PM is so cute, just find all the other pieces (I'm sure Baby Jesus is happy to be out of the cold barn for a while;)).
I am LOVING the idea of buying the Holztiger set over time for both kids, well I'm off to look at those ;)

christiedavid3
11-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Oh we needed the Playmobil set! The M&D doesn't do much for me either. I don't like the one-dimensional figures.

indigo99
11-05-2010, 11:42 PM
I was already collecting Fontanini long before DS. I love my nativity set, and I won't mind letting him play with the pieces since they're not breakable (as long as he doesn't chew on them). I'm really looking forward to it actually. They have a LOT of different people and animals so you can add to the set each year.

nrp
11-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I am into nativity sets, too. I started DD on the holztiger set last year (DS is getting Noah and the animals). I think the m&d is plenty different from the ones you have so that it wouldn't be duplicative.

If DH comes through this year in will be nearly finished with my LLadro set - though with the kids I haven't been able to display it for fear of it getting broken (which sort of defeats the purpose!)

mattiew
11-06-2010, 11:16 AM
We have the FP Little People set and each girl has a more "decorative" set in their room (one is painted wood and the resin). I would definitly buy the M&D if you really like it but pack it up each year. This is a set they can keep and have great memories of!!!

ellies mom
11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I was already collecting Fontanini long before DS. I love my nativity set, and I won't mind letting him play with the pieces since they're not breakable (as long as he doesn't chew on them). I'm really looking forward to it actually. They have a LOT of different people and animals so you can add to the set each year.

I have several of the Fontanini pieces from before the girls. The unbreakable aspect is definitely a plus. I should buy some more. I just wish the buildings were more affordable. I'd go nuts and fill a room if I could afford it.

Kindra178
11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I am into nativity sets, too. I started DD on the holztiger set last year (DS is getting Noah and the animals). I think the m&d is plenty different from the ones you have so that it wouldn't be duplicative.

If DH comes through this year in will be nearly finished with my LLadro set - though with the kids I haven't been able to display it for fear of it getting broken (which sort of defeats the purpose!)

Where is the Holtzinger set? I kind of like the M&D one.

traciann
11-07-2010, 04:05 PM
I saw the M&D nativity yesterday and didn't care for it. It just seemed like giant puzzle pieces. We have the little people nativity (2 actually) and if I ever see my older daughter losing interest, I will get the playmobil next. I would dig up your nativity pieces and save them for christmas time.

nrp
11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Where is the Holtzinger set? I kind of like the M&D one.

I tend to buy my pieces from maukilo.com, but they are available at different places. I believe they are German.

Ceepa
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM

We also have a set. It will stay away from little hands until they're older because the stable is covered in a moss that gets everywhere when handled. We have others that DC play with during the season.

indigo99
11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
We also have a set. It will stay away from little hands until they're older because the stable is covered in a moss that gets everywhere when handled .

I have an inexpensive, generic creche that we use with the fontanini pieces (bought it after Christmas one year). Fontanini makes stables that are all resin though, and the resell value on Fontanini is pretty good (better at certain times of year obviously) even if you decide to switch back after a few years.