PDA

View Full Version : Panama City, FL, area, DH has job interview, special needs DS-schls?UPDATE #17!

SammyeGail
11-07-2010, 10:13 AM
DH first has a phone interview Monday-tomorrow-then we'll see from there. His career is very specific so I really don't know how much competition there will be for this position. He's never went to a physical job interview that he wasn't offered the job. I'm saying all this because I'm scared, lol.

I absolutely love the beach, but that would be a drastic change for me! DH found an area called Niceville that seemed to have great schools, but once he figured out where the job actually was, it was 75 miles away.

I have an aunt and cousin who grew up nearby in Pensacola Beach, we visited numerous times when I was little. This cousin lived there as an adult too, we don't talk often but get along great, I sent her a mssg about the area, she said to call her anytime, she moved back to VA about 9 months ago when she re-married. I don't know if 9AM is a good time to call her or not. I actually haven't talked to her since she moved, just on FB.

Anyway, I'm rambling because I'm nervous. I'm excited also about the move, DH has already done alot of research on the area, how charter schools are done on a lottery basis, autism resources, etc. I want to find a great school system overall, a great area to live.

I've lived in this backwards small town for 3.5 years and really don't want to make a mistake like this again. I know we would rent first, we have to sell our house here, but I would have to get the kids, especially Jonas, in an education program asap!

I don't know how things change when you move from one state to another with a special needs child. I don't know of anything I can do ahead of time, I guess we have to actually move there before we can get an IEP, I don't want it to take forever to get him back in an autism program, kwim?

Thanks for any info on the area and about moving from one state to the next with a SN child!!

tiapam
11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Samantha, I can't help with that specific location or SN. But wanted to remind you to find a place where you will have easy access to health care for yourself.

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2010, 11:35 AM
The only thing I know about it is that it is a major college spring break destination. Don't know if that matters!
GL!
Beth

mom2binsd
11-07-2010, 11:39 AM
If he has an IEP then that goes with him. Of course, I would make sure that the school district actually has the resources that you feel will meet his needs.

If it comes down to it, I'd try to find the local chapter of Special Education Association, or call the local EI dept and get their rec's for good districts and schools.

I know how scary all this can be. I have stayed behind in IL while DH is in AZ working until we are sure that it's what we want to do, we don't have special needs but still, our schools are amazing and the one's there aren't.

SammyeGail
11-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Samantha, I can't help with that specific location or SN. But wanted to remind you to find a place where you will have easy access to health care for yourself.

That is so sweet of you to say, I appreciate it so much, :hug:. The health care around here (for my conditions) isn't great, our insurance is terrible. Benefits will be a deal maker/breaker for DH if he is offered the job. He has looked into endocrinologists, Mobile, AL is about as far away as Nashville is to us now. It is definitely something we will look into more.

The only thing I know about it is that it is a major college spring break destination. Don't know if that matters!
GL!
Beth

Yeah I know! I would dread March, but we wouldn't live right near the beach. From what I've seen looking at real estate, there seem to be some nice family friendly towns around there. I would be much happier if it were any other beach area down there! Panama City is known as the 'party beach', ugh! I grew up around Birmingham, AL, so I sure heard enough about it.

If he has an IEP then that goes with him.

If it comes down to it, I'd try to find the local chapter of Special Education Association, or call the local EI dept and get their rec's for good districts and schools.

I know how scary all this can be. I have stayed behind in IL while DH is in AZ working....

Thanks for letting me know his IEP goes with him, I will have to pull our copy and see what it says exactly. The special ed. program director is great here, maybe I can get it modified to be more specific if we relocate.

DH has already found some contacts for autism resources, they are bookmarked, the resources seem SO much better than what is here.

It all depends on how DH's phone interview goes tomorrow, so nervous!

I can't stay behind, unfortunately with the chronic fatigue I have good days, so-so days and very bad days. It makes me feel terrible as a person and mother--to face the fact that that I can't take care of the boys by myself, but Jonas' school is a 1.5 drive round trip in the AM and PM. DH is doing it now, makes me feel worse. 15-20 minutes to a school I could handle fine, but not 45 minutes on the 2 lane curvy road to his school now. I get dizzy, I get scared I will have an accident, DH is very concerned too.

Sorry to go on about that, if we had known this was going to happen to me we would have never moved to such a rural area, but we are very close to where DH works now. He literally has a 2 mile commute, lol.

LMPC
11-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Just wanted to pipe in about the whole spring break thing....I think that would be an issue if you lived right on the beach, but there's a whole section of Panama City that is more historic, very reasonably priced, and away from all the "action." I don't know about schools unfortunately.

Keep us updated!

crl
11-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Yes, the IEP follows him. Since he is in a very specific program, you might call the districts you are considering to ask if they have an equivalent and where it is. I did this with my ds when he needed an inclusion preschool setting and we were moving. Some districts were super helpful and others were not. But it is worth a try. If the district you end up in does not have an appropriate placement, they have to pay for private or a different district. But that can be a fight and it can mean a lot of time on a bus (they have to provide transportation).

Good luck!
Catherine

ShanaMama
11-07-2010, 09:59 PM
:yeahthat: I was thinking about this, too. Will you have access to general support for yourself? I know you have pretty much none now.
Good to see you back here!

Melbel
11-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Panama City is in a relatively rural area of the state, but from your prior posts, it would have many more amenities that your current small town and is known for its Southern charm (in addition to spring breakers). St. Joe corporation owns abundant land in the area is intent on development, including the recent building of a new airport. As you probably know, the beaches are fabulous. I have had numerous college and law school friends from the area, and they seemed happy there.

I am sorry that I cannot help out on the school issues. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you are able to make the right decision for your family.

okinawama
11-07-2010, 11:30 PM
We lived right outside Panama City (in Mexico Beach) for a very short period of time (about 4ish months), while my husband took a class there. I don't have a school age child, but many of my friends do and they all lived in the Lynn Haven area and said they were happy with their school. When I was driving through the neighborhood one day I saw an absolutely beautiful charter school as well.

We LOVED our time in that area. We also were there during Spring Break, and as long as we stayed away from the beach and off the main street, spring break isn't a huge issue.

Good luck to your husband!

SammyeGail
11-08-2010, 02:03 PM
DH came home for a quick lunch, the phone interview went really great! The job sounds great to DH also! DH was contacted thru a headhunter, I guess its a good sign when the plant manager gives him his personal cell phone # if he has any additional questions!

They have a good relocation package, they would pay our RE fees to sell our house, some temporary housing-thats what the plant manager mentioned to DH, DH didn't ask any questions about it, not appropriate on a phone interview, kwim? It would be awesome if they did 6 months of temporary housing, I would hope our house would sell by then. DH will be contacted for a live interview where he would fly down there. I hope he gets called!

DH did tell him he would need 3-4 weeks because of the holidays :47:, I was thinking mid-Jan. Maybe if he takes/gets offered the job it will be that long....

I'm excited, moving isn't easy on me, but I don't have any IRL friends here like I did before when we re-located. It will be hard doing it with kids, and hard on the kids I know, Noah has friends and absolutely loves his teacher :(.

I will try to do more research on the internet, I just don't spend much time on-line at all anymore. DH has done alot.

Lynn Haven has sounded the best from what I've seen, its good to see it mentioned! from looking at real estate it seems we wouldn't get as much house for the money, but thats listing price, so who knows?

Ugh, we have so many little things to do on this house to get it in selling condition, DH has 4 or 8 hrs of vacation left :hysterical:.....

I really hope this is what I've been praying for.

sste
11-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I agree with you - - I remember all your posts about not liking your town, being isolated there, your terrible experience with EI . . . and I think a move sounds great!

scrooks
11-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow! That all sounds great! I will keep my fingers crossed for your family!

LMPC
11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
Sending lots of positive vibes from over here! It's such a beautiful area!

BabyMine
11-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I PM'd you. If you need some help let me know.

SammyeGail
11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I PM'd you. If you need some help let me know.

Thank you, I saw it and mentioned Tallahassee to DH, he said it was too far away for anything, I looked it up on mapquest about 1/2 hour ago and its 2 hrs away. That will be much better for extensive medical resources if I need them, I may since I just looked up endo's around Panama City and Ft. Worth, there are about 5. But thats how many are in our nearby city, lol!

ShanaMama, thanks for the little 'welcome back' :hug:, I've been struggling with some family issues and just haven't felt social even online.

SammyeGail
11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
:yay: The headhunter (is there a better term, lol) called DH back about 2 hours after his phone interview and said they wanted him to fly down for a tour of the plant and a 'panel' interview, (with HR, Operations Manager, etc). Its scheduled for next Monday.

I'm still a bit nervous, but mostly excited. Well, I hope he gets offered the job and the insurance is good! Its in Panama City, FL, not Panama City Beach, I guess they don't have any industrial plants in a party beach town ;).

DH said no matter how fast it went, he would wait until Jan. to start. He mentioned Jan. 4, I asked him could he please not start on my birthday, lol! I really hope he gets offered the job, he is so miserable here.

Please sent P&PT our way!!

BabyMine
11-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Sounding good so far!!!

Sending positive job vibes your way.

willow33
11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds great! Hope it all works out!

crl
11-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Hope it all works out!

Catherine

jess_g
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Sending lots of positive vibes your way!

I hope it all works out for your dh and your family! And keep us posted.

Jessica.

citymama
11-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Hope things work out the way you want them to! I know you've been so unhappy where you currently are.

Dream
11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I hope it works out for you guys. Sending positive vibes.

ShanaMama
11-09-2010, 02:38 PM
:yay: The headhunter (is there a better term, lol) called DH back about 2 hours after his phone interview and said they wanted him to fly down for a tour of the plant and a 'panel' interview, (with HR, Operations Manager, etc). Its scheduled for next Monday.

Wow, great news. That is a very fast response time, so it sounds like your DH really impressed them.
Keeping you in my thoughts! Good luck!