PDA

View Full Version : What do you think THE toy will be this holiday season?

hbridge
11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
So in an effort to not spend a fortune on E-bay or stand in line at ToysRUs every week for a month, what do we think THE toy is going to be this Christmas?

Last year we were on the ZhuZhu pet quest, I hope to avoid something similar this year.

So, I have a 7 yo and also buy for a 3yo, what do we think the "most requested"/"hard to find" toy will be THIS year?

lhafer
11-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't know, but I am betting this guy will be pretty popular:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3987618

He's more expensive that I would like, but my daughter HAS to play with him every time she sees it.

katydid1971
11-07-2010, 02:15 PM
All the magazines say it will be the sing a ma jig but I don't like them.
http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=sing%20a%20ma%20jigs&origkw=thing%20a%20ma%20gig&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

Melaine
11-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I keep hearing squinkies but I don't get the appeal.

swissair81
11-07-2010, 02:21 PM
I see Big Foot everywhere. I would never buy it, but it will probably be popular.

Melaine
11-07-2010, 02:37 PM
I think my Target wants it to be the Easy Bake Oven. Seriously, they have dozens and dozens of them piled on the top shelves of several toy aisles.

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Pillow Pets.

Beth

MMMommy
11-07-2010, 02:47 PM
I read a "hot toys 2010" list that included Paper Jamz, Scrabble Flash, and Loopz games.

g-mama
11-07-2010, 02:54 PM

He's more expensive that I would like, but my daughter HAS to play with him every time she sees it.

My almost-5-year-old ds is obsessed with this thing. I do not want to buy it!!

wimama
11-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Pillow Pets. Luckily DS doesn't see the appeal on this one.

Legos Star Wars & Harry Potter. Playmobil School. LeapFrog Explorer.

Our Toysrus selves are depleted of many of the LeapFrog Explorer merchandise. They only had lavendar Explorers and the games were picked over. I was surprised, the games are on sale at 25% off, but the sale goes until Thanksgiving. Luckily we found the two games we wanted on the end cap of the aisle, the game were gone from the main display area in the aisle.

kboyle
11-08-2010, 04:55 PM

my kids play with him at target everytime too, him and the super duper expensive Buzz Lightyear...they love that he speaks spanish like in the movie.

we got Spike the dino 2 years ago when he came out (like this guy sort of) cause they were obsessed with him in the store...he got played with MAYBE till NYE...after that week he was a lost cause! i'm charging him back up and FORCING the kids to play with him now that i think of it!

i have no idea what the "IT" toy will be, but i'm not buying it...i got the zhu zhus last year and they're in a big sterlite container that they've been in since Feb.

pakin
11-09-2010, 12:24 PM
People at Hallmark stores seem to think it's going to be their Jingle All the Way Interactive Storybook and story buddy. Here is the link: http://www.hallmark.com/online/in-stores/gifts/story-buddy.aspx It's super cute! I've just bought it for DD.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

wimama
11-09-2010, 01:59 PM
my kids play with him at target everytime too, him and the super duper expensive Buzz Lightyear...they love that he speaks spanish like in the movie.

we got Spike the dino 2 years ago when he came out (like this guy sort of) cause they were obsessed with him in the store...he got played with MAYBE till NYE...after that week he was a lost cause! i'm charging him back up and FORCING the kids to play with him now that i think of it!

i have no idea what the "IT" toy will be, but i'm not buying it...i got the zhu zhus last year and they're in a big sterlite container that they've been in since Feb.

That is what I think about when I see that Imaginext Big Foot. My DS loved Rocky the Dump Truck in the store. Poor Rocky rarely gets any play time though. DS seems to prefer toys that require his own imagination, instead of those animated interactive toys.

ohiomom1121
11-09-2010, 03:09 PM

So funny...DS1 was OBSESSED with Spike in the store too and barely played with it. It's a huge hit when we have playdates though. And the Zhu Zhus got very little play until recently they started playing with them without all the garbage accessories that fall apart. Glad to hear it's not just us!

KrisM
11-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Teacup Piggies.

Tondi G
11-19-2010, 01:51 AM
That is what I think about when I see that Imaginext Big Foot. My DS loved Rocky the Dump Truck in the store. Poor Rocky rarely gets any play time though. DS seems to prefer toys that require his own imagination, instead of those animated interactive toys.

yeah mine was obsessed with Rocky the robot truck in the store too. He got him for Last Christmas and I think he has been played with a handful of times. so disappointing.

vonfirmath
11-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I think the display is part of what makes these toys exciting. Nad when you buy them, the display is not there anymore.

hellokitty
11-19-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm really glad my kids never seem to want the, "hot" toys for christmas. They really want those kung zhu things, but I think they are dumb, considering the fact that they HAVE two regular zhu zhu pets and don't play with them. Just b/c they have mohawks now, they want them??? Lego is still king in our household.

christiedavid3
11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
I haven't heard of Teacup Piggies...what are they?

firsttimemama
11-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I saw a commercial for the Teacup Piggies and I was at a loss - I was like, this is someone's job.. and they came up with this.. and kids want to play with this? They just seem so ridiculous! Then again.. i guess a lot of toys are!

KrisM
11-19-2010, 04:40 PM
I haven't heard of Teacup Piggies...what are they?

I saw a commercial for the Teacup Piggies and I was at a loss - I was like, this is someone's job.. and they came up with this.. and kids want to play with this? They just seem so ridiculous! Then again.. i guess a lot of toys are!

I don't really get them, but the commercials get the kids all excited and they're sold-out many places already it seems. They talk and do stuff and fit in a teacup, I guess.

calv
11-20-2010, 11:36 AM
sad this years list seems to be full of junk. AKA, singamajigs, teacup piggies, squinkies, lalaloopsy dolls and video girl. last year at least I really looked forward to giving them the DSi. this year, not so much. LOL. yes i'll throw in a big playmobil set or two (probably to make me feel better). :D

Puddy73
11-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I see those Sing-a-ma-jig things advertised everywhere around here. Luckily, our DC aren't concerned about having the "in" toys yet. DS wants a pet chicken (a real one) and DD wants a microscope.

Melanie
11-20-2010, 02:08 PM
My first thought was "Total Crap."

Everything I see touted as being "the toy" this year looks like total junk and offends one more multiple senses. There have been years in the past I thought they were cool and rushed out to get one (remember Aquadoodles, anyone? LOL. SOOO early 2000's).

My kids don't watch TV or commercials. The worst it gets is they sneak off with catalogs that arrive or see things at Target. They know their ogre of a mom has a "you can look at it at the store but it's not coming home with us," rule. So luckily they, for the most part, have no idea what they are "supposed" to be wanting.

egoldber
11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
The only thing I see/hear people desperately trying to find a deal on is the Lego Harry Potter stuff.

lalasmama
11-20-2010, 04:09 PM
The "it" toys around here seem to be the Sing-a-ma-jigs and Pillow Pets. I thought the Sing-a-ma-jigs were so stupid to start with, but La begs for one, and actually asked to buy one for her upcoming niece/nephew; now, I crack up when I see them, we always make them sing, and (ssshhhh!) Santa is bringing one for La and one for me, so they can sing together. And yes, the niece/nephew got one too... As far as the Pillow Pets, her biomom bought her one a few weeks ago, but she's already over it, and has re-enacted her former campaign for a ladybug pillow pet, because the panda bear wasn't cool enough apparently. (Yeah, Santa's shopping for that too. But, since Mrs Claus had to find all the other toys, she's going to grab the dang pillow pet too, because Mr Claus doesn't relish toy shopping. Go figure!)

mnosky1
11-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Squinkies were impossible to get earlier as I was searching them out and amazon and eBay had them way overpriced but them I found a bunch finally back in stock at walmart and have stopped looking. So I don't know if they are back in stock or not or if popularity has held up.

minnie-zb
11-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't really get them, but the commercials get the kids all excited and they're sold-out many places already it seems. They talk and do stuff and fit in a teacup, I guess.

I bought two for my girls. They are super cute. They are hard to find.