PDA

View Full Version : Miele or Dyson canister -- need a new vacuum right away!

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
DH killed our vacuum. He snapped the wand in half this morning. Woo Hoo! I HATE this stupid Consumer Reports "best buy" and have tried to kill it myself (unsuccessfully) for years.

So, we need a new vacuum, um, yesterday. It must be a canister -- we have stairs and a mix of hardwood and low-pile carpet. Contenders are:

Dyson DC23 Animal

Miele S2 Momentum -- Not sure what the US name on that model is, but it might be the S2 Titan?? It has a powerbrush with no light

Which would you get? Props to anyone who can find either of these on sale for me! :)

dogmom
11-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Love my Dyson Animal. My DH was just up in attic sucking up gross stuff from a mouse infestation with it. Puts up with a lot of abuse. I bought a reconditioned one from Amazon 5 years ago and it has never giving me problems.

Oh, yes, and I've had nothing but bad luck with CR "best buys". I gave up on them years ago.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
read the reviews on amazon

LBW
11-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Miele, hands down.

I own both an upright Dyson (animal) and a canister Miele. The Miele is 10+ years old, and the Dyson is only about 5 years old. The Dyson is dying/dead and the Miele is still as good as new.

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks ladies.

We have been checking reviews for a couple of years. Not kidding. DH is steadfast in wanting a Miele. I really want a Dyson. He has been refusing to consider a purchase until the *%&^#$^& Kenmore died. I swear, I did not take a sledgehammer to it this morning -- he was the one using it when the wand just snapped. :innocent:

Anyway, much like the poll, the reviews seem about neck and neck. Sigh. We'll probably get the Miele just because I picked the fricken fracken Kenmore and have heard nothing but whining for the past 6 years as its been a POC since we took it out of the box.

Oh, and Miele, if you are listening, why not keep your model names consistent for all of North America -- it would make things much easier for me in my reviews....

cheri
11-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Another vote for Miele. I seriously LOVE my vacuum. And I've had it for over two years now--still in love. Mine's the cheapest stick vac they have, and it's still amazing.

JamiMac
11-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I love our Dyson. We've had it for 6 years and it's great. I'm looking into the canister one though because of our stairs. I'd pass the DC14 to my IL's.

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks everyone. Got the Miele, but ended up with the next model up from the Momentum. Got the Continuum because the powerhead is more self-propelled. Called DH from the store and got "whatever you think is best". ha ha ha.

LBW
11-07-2010, 07:06 PM
You will love it. I seriously can't stand the darn Dyson.

dcmom2b3
11-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks everyone. Got the Miele, but ended up with the next model up from the Momentum. Got the Continuum because the powerhead is more self-propelled. Called DH from the store and got "whatever you think is best". ha ha ha.

OOOH! Let me know how you like it. I think I'm getting myself a new vacuum soon and have wanted a Miele for a long time.

stinkyfeet
11-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Another vote for Miele. I seriously LOVE my vacuum. And I've had it for over two years now--still in love. Mine's the cheapest stick vac they have, and it's still amazing.

I might have to get one of these for our hardwood upstairs. We have a dyson animal for the the main floor...it's pretty heavy and bulky to carry up and down the stairs all of the time. Thanks for the tip!:)

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
OOOH! Let me know how you like it. I think I'm getting myself a new vacuum soon and have wanted a Miele for a long time.

Well, so far I like it -- pretty box. LOL. This is the model I got: http://www.sears.ca/product/miele-s2-continuum-canister-vacuum/620-000803924-41218140

Miele, for reasons unknown, has different names and models in the US. This is an S2 2180, but appears different than the Titan, which is the top S2 in the US. It has a nice powerhead, nicer than the Momentum I had originally intended to purchase. The Continuum powerhead is wider and self-propelled.

I really wanted the S5 Continuum, but its $1200, which I just can't justify.

I will give you a report in a few days once we have a chance to play with it. :)

Edensmum
11-07-2010, 10:22 PM
MIELE!!!!!!! I love it. Seriously, love.

neeleymartin
11-07-2010, 10:28 PM
he was the one using it when the wand just snapped. :innocent:

this made me laugh out loud. the whistling innocent smiley usually does. did you rig it to break? outstanding!!

btw, we have and LOVE our miele canister. we got the bottom of the line for about $320 or so. it is great. i recommend you get the power head for carpets. it costs extra but is well worth. we use it on the minimal carpet we have and the rest of the house (hardwood/tile/vinyl). it really improves the suckability!!! for lack of a better word. hth

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 10:45 PM
did you rig it to break? outstanding!!

Um. Maybe, possibly, someone might have taken to dropping it carelessly every time she used it.... I dunno. I'm just sayin'.

Oooh, lookie. It just dropped out of my hand and landed on the side of the coffee table. Shucks.

neeleymartin
11-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Um. Maybe, possibly, someone might have taken to dropping it carelessly every time she used it.... I dunno. I'm just sayin'.

Oooh, lookie. It just dropped out of my hand and landed on the side of the coffee table. Shucks.

too bad...well on to a new machine :bighand:

codex57
11-08-2010, 06:09 AM
You will love it. I seriously can't stand the darn Dyson.

Which one do you have? They've made improvements with each generation, but the original (the 07 series) was REALLY bad in terms of ergonomics.