PDA

View Full Version : Quick Help Needed! EGGS!

ha98ed14
11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
SO I am making deviled eggs for an event this morning. I hardboiled them last night. Left them over night. Now I am peeling them and cutting them in half, dump out the yolks etc. They smell a lot more sulfer-ish than I remember from eating them in the past. I have not ever made them before. I'm following the recipe in Joy of Cooking. Also the yolks are gray around the edge, not the whole way through, tho. I know they are not bad because I just bought them yesterday and because I have broken rotten eggs before. Is this because I cooked them too long? What's going on here?

katydid1971
11-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Don't worry they are fine. Go ahead and make the rest of your recipe.

boolady
11-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Yep, they're fine. The grayish ring usually just means they could have been cooked a bit less, but they're not undercooked. It won't affect the taste-- if they seem dry, just add a bit more mayonnaise or sour cream or whatever the wet ingredient is until the texture/consistency seems right.

kijip
11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Yep, they're fine. The grayish ring usually just means they could have been cooked a bit less, but they're not undercooked. It won't affect the taste-- if they seem dry, just add a bit more mayonnaise or sour cream or whatever the wet ingredient is until the texture/consistency seems right.

Right. Mine are always a little gray because my husband prefers really hard eggs. Soft yolks bother him.

Defiled eggs is a great budget stretcher fir your event. Nice job.

baileygirl
11-07-2010, 05:05 PM
How did it go?

dec756
11-07-2010, 05:16 PM
the color and smell is OXIDATION. no worries :)

ha98ed14
11-07-2010, 08:03 PM
How did it go?

Well, I'm back. I think it went well. All the food got eaten; there were some left over oranges, so people got enough of those. We cut the oranges into rings about a quarter to a half inch thick and I think it worked really well. It made a nice presentation on the fruit platter. The arranged the deviled eggs on circular platter with a little stoneware dish in the middle with little piles of cracked pepper, paprika and salt. I think that part looked classy for I was working with. I also made some brownie bites and piled them in to a smaller round platter. I already had the mix. I was working the whole time, back and forth between the kids and the kitchen, but DH was out in the reception area the whole time. He said that there was enough food, that everyone got firsts and it did not run out until people came back for 2nds. So, for $46 plus some things I already had, oranges from the yard, a muffin mix and a brownie mix, I think I did a good job. I will say that I have never had to do a food buffet (small or large) using what I had on hand. I always have shopped for the event. It was kind of cool to see what I could pull together from what I already had. I would never have thought to feed people from the fruit trees in my yard, but it totally worked. They are great oranges! And who says you can't have brownies for breakfast?!? ;) Thanks for the help and the suggestions! Oh, and yes, there were at least 120 people there.

baileygirl
11-07-2010, 11:41 PM
That is great! Sounds like it was a success! I wouldn't have been able to even attempt to feed 120 people on $40!

HannaAddict
11-08-2010, 12:40 AM
WOW! It sounds like it went great and successfully feeding that many people good food on such tight budget sounds like a Food Network challenge. Good job. :)