PDA

View Full Version : Quick Medical Question (for Me)

Indianamom2
11-07-2010, 03:08 PM
So I've been having (3 times over 24 hours) a very sharp stabbing pain behind my breastbone and a little over to the left side that lasts for a few minutes at a time. It hurts to take a deep breath when the pain hits. No other symptoms, though it makes me feel anxious.

It keeps happening and I just don't know what to think. I haven't been sick.

Would you get it checked out at the ER? I just honestly don't know what to think.

wellyes
11-07-2010, 03:11 PM
ER visit. Go.

Probably a torn/twisted something-or-other but REALLY better safe than sorry with breathing issues. Good luck!

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Its probably muscular, but just to be on the safe side, I would go to the ER and have it checked out.

GL and hope you are better soon!

LMPC
11-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree, probably best to head to the ER.

mctlaw
11-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Interesting, my husband recently had similar pain but on the right side and it turned out to be pneumonia. No illness onset noted before this pain began. Dr. thought it was going to be a pulled muscle and was surprised when the chest x-ray came back abnormal. Get it checked out!

liz
11-07-2010, 03:22 PM
Yup, get it checked out. I know it's a pain to head to the ER, but do it. gl

wellyes
11-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Hey there, just checking... you ok today?

hillview
11-08-2010, 09:19 AM
I had this too and went to the ER. They couldn't find anything and it resolved on its own. Hope you went and they found nothing and it resolves quickly!
/hillary

ThreeofUs
11-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Late to this, hope you went to ER. Please let us know.

Indianamom2
11-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for thinking of me.

I did go to the ER yesterday afternoon. They did an EKG (normal), ran blood tests, did a chest x-ray and kept me hooked up to a heart monitor/blood pressure monitor while I was there.

One thing they were checking for was a potential blood clot, so they ran a special blood test for that, but it came back normal. I think that was my biggest concern because I had a family member who died of a pulmonary embolism a couple of years ago, and it's always in the back of my mind as a possibility.

I haven't had the same symptoms anymore, but then it wasn't super frequent anyhow. Now I'm just hyper-paranoid about every little ache and pain and I'm driving myself nuts. My heart rate was elevated the whole time I was being monitored (a bit over 100) and my blood pressure when I first checked in was high (which isn't normal, or at least hasn't been). I think it's nerves, but I honestly don't know.

I suffer from panic attacks, which years ago sent me to the ER with heart-attack like symptoms and had the whole battery of tests for an entire summer, and it was simply anxiety. A couple month on Paxil and life was good. Part of me wonders if that's what's going on, but it didn't feel the same. Then there's part of me that wonders if the ongoing blah feeling I have is from anxiety. I know I'm having trouble concentrating on much of anything else. I haven't had any panic attacks for at least 6 years (maybe longer), but I know they can come back.

I think it's just worrisome that they don't know what causes it. My mind needs a cause...kwim?

mamicka
11-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I get something similar (my pain is always on the left & lasts for a long time) & it's happened about 4 times in the last several years. Their best guest is anxiety but IDK... it is worrisome to not know so I get how you feel. I'm glad you got it checked-out & glad you're OK.

egoldber
11-08-2010, 09:49 AM
The first thing I thought of when I read your post was reflux or anxiety/panic or both. :hug:

vonfirmath
11-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I think it's just worrisome that they don't know what causes it. My mind needs a cause...kwim?

Two years ago, I went to the ER with something similar. It can be VERY serious in women, so they definitely want you at ER. They could not find mine either and it resolved on its own (and we ended up paying quite a bundle of cash). But... I'm still glad I went.