PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go away away for Christmas?

hillview
11-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Anyone spend Christmas on vacation (not with family)? If so where do you go? Just curious. For now we are happy to do Christmas at home but I imagine some day it might be fun to go somewhere for a couple of weeks.
TIA
/hillary

scmama
11-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Before kids I went with a gf to Rio for Christmas which was wonderful!

I would love to take my kids to Hawaii one year and just spend the holiday with my family. No presents, no decorating, no family drama, just the 4 of us and the beaches of Maui!

army_mom
11-07-2010, 06:36 PM
We did a cruise one year and it was great. I believe we spent Christmas day in Belize doing jungle zipline and cave tubing. Then napped through dinner and had a pizza buffet for late night dining!

not this year though. back to see family since last year we missed all the holidays last year.

bluestarfish18
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Last Christmas, we went to Cancun, but with kids, and to meet the ILs. It was still a great vaca, even if I had to put on a fake smile everyday for the ILs. I would certainly recommend taking a vacation Christmas away.

LMPC
11-07-2010, 09:32 PM
DH and I went to Portugal preDD for Xmas one year when he was living in the UK. This year we were supposed to go to St John but it got a little hectic...maybe next year!

geochick
11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
We always go to Mexico the day after Thanksgiving. Every year we're there we say we'd really like to go the Mexico for Christmas when the kids are a bit older. The kids wouldn't mind celebrating Christmas a bit early at home if we ended up in the Mayan Riviera for Christmas. So, to answer your question, we don't....YET.

candaceb
11-07-2010, 09:39 PM
I grew up in a mixed family with mixed messages about Christmas. My dad is Christian and my mom is Jewish. We celebrated Hanukkah, and when my grandmother was alive, we went to her house for Christmas and Santa came there. She died when I was in second grade, and we had one very strange Christmas at home the following year, and my dad decided he didn't want to do that again. So we traveled every year after that, up until I was a senior in college and declared that I wanted to be home for my break. Offhand, I can remember:
- many trips to Northern California because my aunt and uncle lived there at the time
- Colorado after they moved there
- Chicago
- Toronto
- New York City
- London
- Paris
- Vienna
- Athens
- Fort Lauderdale
- I skipped Barbados my freshman year of college and stayed home to learn how to type

of all of those, I think NYC and Paris were the best places to spend Christmas and see all of the decorations and stuff.

lizzywednesday
11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Except last year when I refused to fly (30-ish weeks pregnant and paranoid as all heck about everything under the sun from air pressure changes to flu), my DH and I have been spending Christmas to New Year's out at his parents' 2nd home in Phoenix, AZ.

It makes scheduling visits with my family very challenging, but we do like to visit out there.

Now, if he'd stop talking about MOVING out there, I'd be a happy camper.

kboyle
11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
this year we are going to the Philippines for xmas to be with my grandmother who has never met the kids and hasn't seen me in about 15 yrs. while we'll still be with family during that time, i'm pretty sure the day of xmas we have it scheduled that we'll be at a beach resort :)

edurnemk
11-08-2010, 02:48 PM
We haven't done something on our own (DH, DS and I) but when my brothers and I were older kids, or teenagers we started travelling for the holidays, just us and our parents (also because we got sick of all the extended family drama) We did: WDW (both for Xmas and New Year's), Caribbean Cruise, New York, New Orleans.

AnnieW625
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
DH hates traveling for holidays so I highly doubt we'll ever go more than an hour from home on Christmas. Growing up we'd drive from the Sacramento area to my grandma's in Oakland, CA. We did this every year until I moved to southern California, I was 27 when I spent my first Christmas away from my parents. We went back when DD1 was 18 months old (2007) and pretty much every year except 2008 we went up either right before Christmas or in January.

We want to do a Disney Cruise in a couple of years so that might be fun to do, but we'd totally have to travel on the lightest travel days of the holiday season to appease DH.