PDA

View Full Version : What's next for a big kid?

SM23Mama21
11-07-2010, 08:32 PM
My son is very large for his age and is growing FAST!! He is 3ft and 38lbs, and almost 2. He is currently riding FF in a Marathon in my car. I need a new carseat for grandma's car. I want to keep him harnest for as long as possible. What would be the best seat without spending a lot of money?

hillview
11-07-2010, 09:06 PM
I'd do a frontier -- there are deals to be had.
/hillary

SM23Mama21
11-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I would love to buy the frontier, but I really can't afford $300 right now. Do you know of anything out there that is less expensive?

Joolsplus2
11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Graco Nautilus or Evenflo Maestro (harnesses to 50, tall tall top slots) or Generations 65 (harnesses to 65, slightly lower top slots), or Safety 1st Alpha Omega or Complete Air (50 or 65 pound weight limit, depending on the model, tall tall top slots). Of those, the Nautilus or Maestro would be the two best choices, because they become SAFE fitting booster seats later and they will last a good long time (Alpha Omega and Generations become terrible boosters, unfortunately, so you'd really have to plan to use them only with the harness).

Hope that narrows your choices a bit!

mom2binsd
11-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I found the Frontier for 223 at Target.

For a child who looks like he's gonna be a big kiddo I'd go for the biggest seat.

I have heard some complain about the crotch depth on the Nautilus.

SM23Mama21
11-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Thank you so much for the feedback! I've heard the Alpha Omega is a bad choice for a seat. Is that true or is it just a bad choice for a younger baby?

I wish we could find good deals like that at our Target!! We live in Alaska where everything costs more due to the shipping. We have a Target, but Target won't ship to us if we order online, and they don't carry as many items in the store as they do in the lower 48. Crazy huh! Most places that have good prices won't ship to Alaska. :irked:

mom2binsd
11-11-2010, 04:32 AM
I saw it on sale at Amazon too, does it have shipping restrictions?

That sucks about shipping issues.

Joolsplus2
11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
The Alpha Omega/Complete Air are fine as harnessed seats, now that the top slots are 17" and the top harness limits are 50/65 pounds (they are a pain to install rearfacing in many cases, and the AO's a terrible booster, but I was tossing out any and all options that may work for a couple years for you now...if someone drops a 50lb limit Alpha Omega in your lap for under 80$, it's a safe option... :))