PDA

View Full Version : why did this bread turn out "weird"?

lmh2402
11-07-2010, 09:55 PM
i had some extra zucchini, so i decided to make a quick zucchini bread this afternoon. used a recipe my mom had given me

recipe as follows:
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 1/3 cup freshly shredded zucchini
* 1 egg
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* zest of 1/2 lemon

batter was crazy thick. and it didn't rise much at all.

it smelled really good cooking and i guess we'll see how it is tomorrow morning

but i'm just wondering why it is so different from all the other breads i make? granted, i don't make any other breads that use oil. and don't call for butter. maybe that's the cause?

egoldber
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Typically there would be a cup of milk or buttermilk. And that is a lot of zucchini. Maybe the zucchini is supposed to compensate for the other liquid, but that seems a little odd to me. That isn't a lot of baking powder either.

ThreeofUs
11-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Most Zuke breads don't have much other liquid in them, b/c the zukes give off so much water.

ITA with Beth, though, about the amount of baking powder and soda. Switch to just baking powder and use 1.5 teaspoons.

FWIW, my zucchini breads don't rise much either, but they sure taste good. :)

Reina
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
i had some extra zucchini, so i decided to make a quick zucchini bread this afternoon. used a recipe my mom had given me
batter was crazy thick. and it didn't rise much at all.

it smelled really good cooking and i guess we'll see how it is tomorrow morning

but i'm just wondering why it is so different from all the other breads i make? granted, i don't make any other breads that use oil. and don't call for butter. maybe that's the cause?

The oil is not the culprit. And your recipe is just fine, it just needs moisture.

I'd like to give you a few pointers.

1) Add half a cup of unsweetened apple sauce or half a cup of yogurt to bring a little more moisture. Moisture helps the bread to rise. If you add apple sauce, don't forget to reduce the sugar to 3/4 or 1/2 cup.
2) Beat the eggs first then add the sugar and beat again. (just with a fork)
3) Baking powder and soda should be added to the dry mixture last. In these types of breads, for every cup and a half of flour there should be 1 teaspoon of leavening agent. so 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp of baking soda. In bread/loaf making it is crucial to use both soda and powder. They are not the same thing. Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate (base). Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate (base) plus cream of tartar (acid).
And once the dry ingredients are mixed with the wet mixture, it should only be stirred gently with a wooden or plastic spoon/spatula. Avoid metal spoons at this point. Just a few slow turns. MOST importantly, once the baking powder and soda are wet, the bread should be baked immediately. If you let your mixture sit out after you add the leavening agents, your bread will be flat. Baking powder and soda are fast acting leaveners. They produce carbon dioxide as soon as moisture hits them. Basically, the way they help your baked goods to rise is through expanding carbon dioxide bubbles. If there isn't enough moisture there won't be enough elasticity to the bubbles, so they won't expand hence your bread won't rise enough. On the other hand, too much moisture will crush the bubbles. So you need the right amount of moisture.

I hope this helps. If you need more baking help, please don't hesitate to ask.

lmh2402
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks, guys!

for the record, we ate it this morning and it was delish

not a big, fluffy bread, but still really good :D