PDA

View Full Version : anyone successfully use hypnobabies for their birth?

alirebco
11-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I just got the home study course in the mail and am starting it early in hopes of being successful with it. I would love to hear others' experiences with it during their birth. I'm planning a homebirth and this will be my second.

ourbabygirl
11-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I bought it from a mom on this board and started it a bit late (maybe around 33 weeks or so?), but it was maybe *slightly* helpful. :shrug:
When DD was born 2 years ago, I had a regular hospital birth with an epidural because I didn't know any different. With DS (born this October), I wanted to go without an epidural or other pain meds, even though I was still giving birth at the hospital. I was able to do it but think it was mostly thanks to my doula :cheerleader1: for being so supportive. I did listen to the hypnobabies stuff most evenings before bed, but I didn't have my act together enough to put the tracks onto DH's iPod (they're on my laptop, though :)) to listen to in the car or at the hospital. Granted, DS came 10 days early and my labors are *very* fast- about 2-3 hours this second time. But the Hypnobabies might have helped my frame of mind, with breathing, visualization, etc., I suppose subconsciously, anyhow.

Good luck!

essnce629
11-08-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm a doula and have been at 2 awesome HypnoBabies births. If you can take an actual class I'd highly recommend it over the home study course. I've had 2 homebirths and did the home study course for my second homebirth, but I kind of slacked off and didn't complete the program! I took a Bradley class my first pregnancy and had a super fast and easy homebirth. The second time was still pretty fast, but a little more intense than my first birth. I really wanted to take an actual HypnoBabies class but there wasn't one offered in my area. If I every get pregnant again I will definately try to take an actual class since I'm in Los Angeles now and there's lots of HypnoBabies classes in the area. I did LOVE the HypnoBabies "Peaceful Sleep Now" and "Baby Stay In" cds that you can order separately. I had bad pregnancy insomnia and the sleep cd put me to sleep every time after just a few minutes. And I had non-stop contractions starting at 26 weeks and I think the Baby Stay In cd helped me carry to term (38 weeks, 5 days).

alirebco
11-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Unfortunately I can't take a class because we don't have a regular sitter and with DS it's just too difficult. Plus DH works late and has a long commute so it's more of a time issue.

I'm starting the program early - 20 weeks and am really committed to practicing it.

I definitely think I need the Peaceful Sleep Now mp3 - I have the worst pregnancy insomnia!

o_mom
11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I used the HypnoBirthing home study and had a very good experience. It was a night and day difference between DS2 (unmedicated, no hypno) and DS3 (also unmedicated, with hypno).

pastrygirl
11-08-2010, 11:34 AM
It worked great for me, for the first 42 or so hours of labor (contractions 3-5 minutes apart). At that point, I was EXHAUSTED so I opted for an epidural...which didn't even work! I'd lost my Hypnobabies rhythm and my doula had left to go take a much-needed nap, so everything kinda went downhill from there.

But, I'm VERY impressed with how well it worked until then! Had I known that I was only a couple of hours from delivering, I would've stuck with it.

daisymommy
11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Hopefully Beth (Brittone) will chime in, I'm pretty sure she used it. As did Eileen (mudder) maestramommy's sister.

Melanie
11-08-2010, 03:56 PM
I used the Mongan HypnoBirthing method, and went to classes taught by a Hypnotherapist. It was extraordinarily effective. I did this for my second child and it was night and day from the birth of the first. I think the most powerful thing was learning that it doesn't have to hurt. Our minds are very powerful. With my first I was more of the attitude that it would hurt, but it would be worth it. Well, let me tell you, it hurt like freaking hell. With my second, not so much. A little pain at one point, but even still it doesn't have to. I just lost my focus at that point b/c I was thrown for a loop with sudden progression after stalled labor. Then when I regained my focus and delivered our baby, no pain. It was phenomenal. Like a PPer said, Night & Day from my previous birth experience. AND I felt AMAZING afterwards, immediately and in the following days. As opposed to feeling like I'd been run over by a truck after my first birth.

It is important, IMHO, to have a partner in this to help you with your relaxation and act as a bit of a shield between you and any other unnecessary negatives during labor. If not the father/husband, then a doula/close friend/instructor. Whomever.

To this day I use techniques that I learned in class, for relaxation, pain removal and getting to sleep!

brittone2
11-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I love hypnosis for childbirth.

I did Hypnobirthing with DS1's birth. I attended a local class at the time. I wasn't even sure I wanted to go that route, but my mw steered me away from the hospital class as it pretty much was geared to moms planning on epidurals, etc. She told me about this woman teaching the class in her home and she offered both a more traditional (I guess more like Lamaze) natural childbirth class and then Hypnobirthing (mongan). It was great for me. Lots of people do not like the Mongan version, but it was fantastic for me. The whole time I was taking the class I kept thinking...ummm, yes, this relaxing but I don't feel hypnotized ;) My instructor basically told me to let go of what I thought hypnosis "should" feel like. I'd say 90 percent of my labor with DS1 was mild cramping and pressure. Transition was challenging, but I honestly felt mostly just pressure/squeezing. I always practiced in bed at home, but in labor I really actively labored....tons of walking, tons of sitting on the ball, all 4s, etc. One criticism of the Mongan method of Hypnobirthing is that there isn't a ton of variety (at least when I was taking it, it was like 2 tracks total and if you didn't particularly connect with either, that could be a turnoff). My instructor also made us a separate CD of her reading several scripts (she had an in home recording studio) and that was awesome. So I had more variety than is typically there with Hynobirthing using the Mongan method.

WIth DD I bought a Hypnobabies supplementary course (have never done the full course). It was meant for those who already did the Mongan Hypnobirthing method. I don't think Hypnobabies sells it anymore? In any case, it was not the same as the full home study program. I used both Hypnobabies and my Mongan Hypnobirthing stuff, as well as the extra tracks from my instructor. I wasn't even sure I was in active labor for a good while...about half of my 3 hour labor. Showed up to the birth center 10 cm dilated with no idea I was that far along.

With DS2 I used both programs again for our homebirth. Worked well for me again.

With all 3 births I labored actively while listening to my CDs/iPod. I didn't usually practice that way however. Some people say it can be good to practice while sitting on a ball, etc. in case you want to use it while active in labor vs being in bed, kwim?

DH went to classes with me and totally would have done the scripts with me, but I prefer to be "in my own head" in labor and would not have wanted someone reading me the hypnosis materials. DH knows this and is great about being a wonderful support person...prepping the pool for the homebirth, keeping me hydrated, stuff like that. He knows I like to be in my zone during labor and he lets me be peacefully in laborland without interruption ;)

I had great experiences with hypnosis. I never felt out of it, disconnected, etc. I did find it helpful to integrate different ways to move and actively labor because that's just what happens to work best for me.

eta: if you have insomnia I think you'll love it. It really helped me out with respect to the insomnia thing in pregnancy. I know lots of people have good success doing just a homestudy program with it. I think you can do it on your own. I definitely think for it to work well you want to be really consistent w/ practice. I was great about it with DS1, and had less time the 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, but still got a lot of practice in. My brain was just trained to go into relaxation mode when the tracks started because it was a near daily thing for me. If you can be consistent w/ practice, that's a big key. Let me know if you have any questions.

Melanie
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
I had great experiences with hypnosis. I never felt out of it, disconnected, etc.

Oh yes, that is a good point! That is the entire reason I didn't do it with my first, I feared that I would be "out of it" and miss it. Thinking of how people in stage hypnosis shows behave like chickens or whatever. LOL. It's not like that *at all.*

alirebco
11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Brittone - wow, thanks for sharing your experiences! I really wish I would have done an in person hypnobirthing type class when I was pregnant the first time around since I had way more time but I just can't manage it right now. My sister did suggest maybe just having one or two sessions with a hypnotherapist who has experience in it. I have the name of a doula who is certified in hypnobabies who might be able to come to my house for a session or two.

I have all the stuff loaded onto my ipod and am trying to stick to the schedule of listening to the hypnosis tracks during my son's naptime and then the affirmations at night before bed. I do suffer from pregnancy insomnia and I have heard it will help with this which would be wonderful. I barely slept my first pregnancy and I was a zombie. And this one has been even worse since my son is so active and in the difficult stage.

brittone2
11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Brittone - wow, thanks for sharing your experiences! I really wish I would have done an in person hypnobirthing type class when I was pregnant the first time around since I had way more time but I just can't manage it right now. My sister did suggest maybe just having one or two sessions with a hypnotherapist who has experience in it. I have the name of a doula who is certified in hypnobabies who might be able to come to my house for a session or two.

I have all the stuff loaded onto my ipod and am trying to stick to the schedule of listening to the hypnosis tracks during my son's naptime and then the affirmations at night before bed. I do suffer from pregnancy insomnia and I have heard it will help with this which would be wonderful. I barely slept my first pregnancy and I was a zombie. And this one has been even worse since my son is so active and in the difficult stage.

I'd totally call the doula and do a session or two if you can. I think it will just help you feel more confident. I do think you can do a self study and get a lot out of it as long as you are disciplined and practice daily or as close to it as you can. And I hope it gives you some insomnia relief! In the past when I've had insomnia and wasn't pregnant, I've been known to bust out my old hypnosis tracks in a pinch! I think they even have an extra track you can download on their site for insomnia?

They also used to have some forums, maybe on a yahoo group or on their website? If you have any questions that might help.

I spent all of my Hypnobirthing class thinking...this is relaxing but I'm skeptical it will work, but it really was awesome for me.

If you have any questions, let me know. Mothering.com has a lot of Hypnobabies users over there too if you need extra support.

Best of luck!

firstbaby
11-09-2010, 11:27 PM
I had such an awesome birth experience with my second after following the self study HypnoBabies course. I usually did the tracks at night around the time my first was going to bed. I did not have DH do any of the reading, scripting, etc, but loaded everything onto my Ipod. When we got to the hospital, one of the nurses asked if I was sure I was in labor. They checked me and I was at 8+ and soon was ready to push. I listened to the ipod almost the whole time and it helped keep me in the hypnobabies groove. After I delivered DS, word was going around that I had a hypnotist in the room with us while I was in labor which was really funny to me. My mom worked at the hosptial where we delivered and she got all kinds of questions about it.

Now that I'm expecting again, we're going the birth center route this time and I'm definitely using the HypnoBabies stuff again. Very excited!

LadyPeter
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
I used the Hypnobirthing (Mongan method) CDs and book to help with my anxiety about labor and delivery, even though I wasn't planning on an unmedicated birth. I think the books and CDs were extremely effective for this - teaching me to relax, to fill my mind with positive thoughts, to focus on the baby.

I really credit hypnosis for my perfect, easy delivery. There was no stalling, no pitocin, no episiotomy...I got to the hospital at 4cm in no pain (my water had broken and we had to do penicillin for GBS because we hadn't done the test yet), got my epidural at 5cm, moved swiftly through transition, pushed for 40 minutes and was done. It was fantastic. I recovered very swiftly and breastfeeding went smoothly, etc.

The mind has tremendous power to ensure that the body does what it's supposed to do.

Katigre
11-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I used Hypnobabies for a natural childbirth almost two years ago and highly recomment it. It helped me sleep well throughout my pregnancy and stay focused during labor - people who watched me labor commented on how relaxed and in tune I was with my body. It didn't make labor painless or lessen the intensity of the contractions, but I never felt out of control or helpless even during transition.

I also found that the hypnobabies tracks were so helpful for my anxiety that I would use them on plane flights (total nervous flier here!) and for pain management/relaxation when I had a bad headache and just wanted to sleep.

jammytoast
11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I used hypnosis for childbirth for both of my children and HIGHLY recommend it-- like brittone2, did a Mongon Method class for the first, but did the Hypnobabies home study for the second. I did hospital births for both, and had a doula for both which I think was key in allowing me to avoid an epi.

I personally liked the Morgon method a bit better, as I felt that Hypnobabies had almost too many 'tools' to utilize, but hey, it allowed me to get thru a pitocin induction w/o an epi, so I'm a HUGE fan.

With both of them, I feel that the key is just practicing and becoming familiar and comfortable with them. You'll get to the point where when you hear the voice/cues you can instantly relax and not tense up.

I wasn't "hypnotized" (as in the stage-show kind of manner) for either one...I liken it to kind of being 'out of it' during contractions, kind of the way that you're out of it when you have the flu and you're kind of in and out sleep. I won't kid you and say that it was pain free, but it provided the coping and managing techniques to allow me to stay in control which is the important thing.

and finally DOULA DOULA DOULA. Neither of mine were specifically hypnodoulas, but both had assisted with hypnobirths and provided much needed massages, hands to grip, and spoonfulls of energy boosting honey when I needed it most!

As for listening during birth, I HIGHLY recommend one of the ipod shuffles that you can just clip on your clothing. (think its the previous generation, without the touchscreen)

Good luck and I'll be happy to help answer any other questions!