PDA

View Full Version : broccoli & spinach puree

3emm
11-07-2010, 10:15 PM
i have lots of both in my freezer and i don't know what to do with it now.
Especially the broccoli.Any ideas? I'm beginning to sneak veggies into into my DS' food, but now sure where broccoli and spinach would work. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks!

LMPC
11-07-2010, 10:20 PM
You could make a potato cheese and broccoli soup....yum! Or bake it into corn bread. Or stick it in some chili to really hide it! Or you could mail it to me LOL -- broccoli is one of DD's top 5 foods...of course we call them "elmo trees" but she's 2 and easily fooled ;)

3emm
11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
yum! that sounds delicious, although i don't know if DS will have the soup. I might try it anyway. love the cornbread idea, he's loving cupcakes right now, so i try to make one that are a bit "healthier" - no frosting of course, but i add flax seed meal, apple, banana puree etc...

I'm definitely going to try your ideas. otherwise, i would be more than happy to share ... lol :)

nrp
11-07-2010, 10:52 PM
You could mix some of either into meatballs or meatloaf. The spinach is quite mild and could be mixed into lots of things. There are a lot of recipes that sneak spinach puree in brownies, so you could try to google something like that - even cut back some sugar and do chocolate spinach muffins. Sounds gross but I bet they'd be good!

Pepper
11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi there - I looked at some of your other posts to see if you'd previously given more info about your DS and his food preferences. Since he likes scrambled eggs, you could try adding the broccoli & spinach puree to them. I make mini-"omelets" in the microwave: scramble an egg in a glass custard cup, add a tablespoon or two of pureed or finely chopped green vegetable and a tiny pinch of salt. You can also add a bit of shredded cheese. Cook in the microwave for one minute. Let it cool, then cut into strips, cubes, or whatever shape your child likes most (or leave it looking like a hockey puck).

Broccoli and spinach purees are good with rice, too. Stir a tablespoon or two into a half-cup of cooked rice. You can also add some cheese, or put it on top.

3emm
11-10-2010, 12:52 AM
pepper: yes he is very picky :(
I will definitely try the purees on eggs and rice since he likes both. Such good ideas, and that;s why i love this board! Thanks so much for sharing!