PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Canada?

Edensmum
11-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I have a package going to Canada, through pp I tried to print the label and it's significantly more than it said it would be by calculating it through USPS.com
It also says this is envelope is required, will that post office have this there? Thanks.
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10000267&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000034&top=&currentPage=2&sort=&viewAll=N&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000267#endStatusBar

KrisM
11-07-2010, 10:30 PM
You can only ship Priority International through Paypal, which is not cheap. If it's under 4lbs, you can send it First Class from the Post Office. There is no tracking on First Class, but there is on Priority, which is why Paypal only does Priority.

Yes, the Post Office will have the envelopes and forms you need. The forms are different if you do Priority or First Class.

MontrealMum
11-07-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm semi familiar with the USPS, but obviously much more familiar with Canada Post as I live in Canada. Hopefully someone else will chime in on the specifics, but there are some questions that you need to answer first before anyone can give much helpful advice.

What are the dimensions of the package and what is its weight? It all depends on that. You may be able to do a flat rate box, you may not. The instructions on the USPS site can be difficult to navigate, but it's hard to advice w/o knowing if you're shipping something that could go in a small padded mailer, or is large and heavy. In any case, you can get the customs forms at the PO.

And just as a heads up, Paypal shipping will only let you buy labels for certain types of service. It may be bumping you into a more expensive type (expedited rather than first class or something) as it doesn't offer the full range that you get from the USPS which could account for the two different rates you're seeing.

MontrealMum
11-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I see I cross-posted with Kris :wavey: She's the shipping expert!

KrisM
11-07-2010, 10:40 PM
I forgot about the dimension part. Yes, to that! And to checking the Flat Rate boxes.

Edensmum
11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks it's a small poly mailer weighing 23 ounces. Two playdress sets. I could maybe do a small flat rate or first class. I don't want to pay over 20 dollars which is what pp is asking.

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Don't forget your customs form/sticker...

Edensmum
11-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Don't forget your customs form/sticker...
Do you need to pick those up at the post office or can you do them through pp? I think I'm going to wind up handling this in person.

MontrealMum
11-07-2010, 10:58 PM
My mom sends me packages like that from the US all the time. I still have the last mailer in my trash and I see that it cost $4.03. That's first class, w/ the green customs sticker. Depending on the weight it might be more, but I doubt it'd be over $10. There's no tracking but nothing has gotten lost so far. If you don't have customs stickers at home you have to go into the PO to get them. But like Kris said, you can't mail first class thru PP. If you choose PP it's going to cost much more because they force you to use priority.

KrisM
11-07-2010, 10:59 PM
For that, I'd go to the Post Office and mail it first class. You'll get a green customs form to fill out. It'll ask for your name/address, the name and address of where its going, what it is, what the value is. And you'll sign it. They'll stick it on and give you part as a receipt. Should cost less than $5, I bet.

mom2binsd
11-07-2010, 11:16 PM
They don't use the green form anymore, it's now a white form that ends up with 3 copies. They actually phased out the green form a year ago, some Post Offices will let you use them, but many do not.

For the small items, you can package in your own envelope, like a polymailer or a small box, for under 4lbs it goes First Class to Canada.

I would not buy an envelope at the PO.

I ship kids clothing all the time to Canada, and it is usually only about .75 more than FC within the US.

BUT you do have to go to the Post office, unless you have an account with stamps.com, they will let you print FC International from their site.

KrisM
11-07-2010, 11:23 PM
They don't use the green form anymore, it's now a white form that ends up with 3 copies. They actually phased out the green form a year ago, some Post Offices will let you use them, but many do not.

My PO must be behind the times! It is small and rural, but we have the green forms. We only use the white ones for Priority Mail. Interesting. I'll have to ask next time I'm there.

ETA: They still have the forms (https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10052&productId=10000265&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10000002&top_category=10000002&categoryId=10000059&top=&currentPage=0&sort=&viewAll=N&rn=CategoriesDisplay&WT.ac=10000265)for ordering on their site and it says its for First Class International. Maybe both are okay, officially?

mom2binsd
11-07-2010, 11:32 PM
The new white forms that replaced the green ones are different from the Priority ones.

I asked about the green ones and our PO won't take em (and it's not like Bloomington IL is a big city!)

Weird huh.

bubbaray
11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Weird, I still get stuff from the US with the green forms all the time. I know the forms that go south (from Canada to the US) are definitely still green.

MontrealMum
11-08-2010, 12:07 AM
How funny, both my parents are still using the green forms too - most of the time from the PO, not from a stash they have at home or anything. But they're in the same state as Kris so maybe that's why? In any case, good to know about the potential change!

mom2binsd
11-08-2010, 12:51 AM
I noticed on the website they are green. I know when they first came out, the usps website didn't have the green ones, maybe they got a lot of complaints. The triplicate form is useful in that you get a copy to take home that has the number on it, not a tracking # but still a reference #. Maybe they made the new triplicate form green as people were so used to it and so now the new white forms will be obsolete...wouldn't surprise me.

I know when I went to our PO last week to mail something to my dad they only had the new forms...interesting.
Update:
Ah ha, mystery solved, I pulled out a white form as I grabbed a bunch on my last trip.

There are 3 copies, the last one is green, it's the one they'll put on the package. But if you're looking for the form at the PO, the front is a page with lots of writing (says Customs Declaration CN22- Senders Declaration) it's Form 2976, Dec. 2009. An it's white.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th pages are the actual form you fill out (the 3rd and 4th pages are carbon like).

3blackcats
11-08-2010, 09:09 AM

IME, white customs forms are used for packages/items over a certain weight, but the green forms are still used if the item is light enough. I usually send foam mailers or a small box. I've only used the white form a few times.