PDA

View Full Version : IKEA play food

twowhat?
11-07-2010, 11:53 PM
If you have any doubts, cast them aside! The play food is adorable!! Machine wash and dry too - huge bonus!

The banana actually "peels"! The lettuce's outer leaves can be peeled off to! (velcro attachments). My 2-yos could identify everything easily, except for the celery root (but hey, I had trouble with that one too hahahaha).

Just thought I'd post about it. I think they're REALLY well done and it's nice to have easily washable, non-plastic play food.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-08-2010, 09:24 AM
are you referring to these ikea cloth veggies (and fruits)?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70185750
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30185747

i noticed these in the store and thought they looked pretty interesting. had no idea the banana actually peels! these seem perfect to go with a little playkitchen! i'd have to wait until my son is older though to try them...right now he just sticks everything in his mouth and bites/chews and he'd probably destroy the pieces in no time( he's already bitten the nose off a a teddy bear :S)

crl
11-08-2010, 09:40 AM

i noticed these in the store and thought they looked pretty interesting. had no idea the banana actually peels! these seem perfect to go with a little playkitchen! i'd have to wait until my son is older though to try them...right now he just sticks everything in his mouth and bites/chews and he'd probably destroy the pieces in no time( he's already bitten the nose off a a teddy bear :S)

I know. I sooo want these. But then I remind myself that dd is only 7 months old. But then I worry Ikea will discontinue them. . . .

Catherine

Jenn27
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM
FWIW, we got DD some crocheted veggies on Etsy for Christmas last year (she was 13 months) and they were a hit! We got the Ikea fruit for Christmas this year too. So, 7 months may be young but it would be cute for the Easter basket!

larig
11-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Oh, I want the fruit too! I have the sandwich set and the veggies set aside for xmas. When I was there last time they had the dessert set. So cute. Glad to hear they wash well.

twowhat?
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM

Yup, those are the ones. We got one of each set (fruit, veggies, dessert, breakfast). We've only opened the fruit, veggies, and dessert so far but I LOVE them!!! The ice cream cones come with 2 "scoops" that stick on top of each other with velcro. The birthday cake comes apart in several pieces for "cutting" and has candles on top that the girls LOVE to pretend to blow out. I think they're fabulous! Now, we just have to find time to assemble the kitchen...

IKEA's pots/pans/play utensils are awesome too because they totally look and feel like the real thing. Only smaller:)

vonfirmath
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Thank you! We are going to IKEA this weekend and I was intending to get food but was second-guessing myself

Seitvonzu
11-08-2010, 02:33 PM
more raves for this food-- it's super cute, great variety (i think the veggies are the best for variety, but i really like the fruit too), works for a HUGE range of ages (totally safe for babies imo-- especially good that it washes (i haven't tried that yet))--it's a great alternative to "wood" and always can stay out for even the roughest of playmates (playdates are huge in our house) we have three sets-- fruits, veggies, and dessert (those are for lu's birthday...i was going to resist but she'll be three and there are THREE candles on the cake- oy!)

you can actually *USE* all the IKEA kitchen accessories (pots, pans, baking, utensils, cups, ceramicds)--- it's food safe and heat safe and all that jazz :) neat, eh? (we often use the metal spoons for lucy to actually eat with. she likes the size and often requests her "ikea spoon") we have EVERYTHING except the tea/coffee set (because we have a bajillion tea sets in this house and there has to be a limit) -- i REALLY like the utensil set-- you get 6 utensils for $4 and they are useful & some are unique. we like the plastic tongs alot-- good for fine motor! and i really like the PASTA spoon- -neat! those would be a great stocking stuff , methinks.

vonfirmath
11-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Good to know. We are looking for a tea set for our son but I had not considered IKEA.

Seitvonzu
11-08-2010, 03:38 PM
vonfirmath-- we are teaset crazy around here! :) before my child was 24 months old , she literally had a half dozen sets. :)

the ikea coffee/tea set is less tea set and more cups, creamer, sugar bowl, plates. in that way it's less traditional and good for a boy. it's in the same color scheme and the ceramic dishes but less white and more pastel (in that way it might not work for boys as well as girls, if that's something your concerned about) but it sure is cute :) it's hard to resist !!!

i really like the plan toys tea set. it's cute as ponies, and wood and has a good heft to it without being to heavy. i like the teabags and my favorite, the sugar cubes!!! (they make me crazy being small, but are worth the effort) spoons too--which is really cute. it's a little more money than the green toys set (which can be found on good sale or with a coupon at toys r us), and it's definitely more than the ikea set, but it and our tin schylling set (which sings "i'm a little teapot" when you tip the teapot) are the favorites around here

we also have the haba "teabags" which are great fun, but if your child isn't destructive, using old REAL teabags is really fun too (i always seem to have expired tea to get rid of--i like variety and am a coffe drinker)

vonfirmath
11-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Erg. I love the tray with the tea set..

twowhat?
11-09-2010, 03:28 PM
LOL!!! I was just looking at the play veggies again last night and that thing that I thought was a celery root is really a leek. I need to brush up on my veggies and aromatics, apparently.

Seitvonzu
11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
yes- that is a leek :) isn't it cute? my child actually told me what it was... we have lois ehlert's "eating the alphabet"-- some kids know dinos, my kind knows produce!