PDA

View Full Version : netbook or laptop?

soontobe
11-08-2010, 11:47 AM
So I need a new computer for school and I am debated between a netbook and a laptop. Can anyone help me with the decision. I will need it mostly for internet, writing notes and doing assignments I think

Thanks!!!

Andi98989
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
For those needs, I would get a laptop. I have a netbook at home and like it for general web-surfing, but not much more than that. There isn't enough screen area to make it comfortable for working and things like that. I much prefer a laptop for that, especially since they often have a larger keyboard, more memory, better processor, and more hard drive space.

kboyle
11-08-2010, 02:38 PM
i agree, i like my netbook, but for the price of a laptop...i'd rather have bought that, esp since now my desktop is dying and the netbook doesn't help as much as i'd hoped since it has no disc drive.

swissair81
11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I dislike the keyboards on the netbooks.

codex57
11-08-2010, 05:09 PM
I think netbooks are one of the stupidest things out there. They have a VERY limited purpose. School/work is not one of them. When they first came out, the idea had potential. If you bought then, you could argue it was a good idea as an early adopter. Then laptop prices dropped to basically match them and the iPad came out to beat it in portability/ease of use.

momm
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
We recently got one of each (for gifts for siblings) and I have to say, laptop.

With a netbook you will end up buying (or wanting) an external disk drive, external memory etc. depdning on your needs.

A netbook is good as a *backup* computer, not as you primary one. It's wonderful to just have around to surf etc. Not for long term use.

JenaW
11-08-2010, 05:14 PM
totally off topic, but I just read an article about how laptaps could be contributing to the rising male infertility rate. I know that won't affect you, but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40062970?ocid=twitter

BabyBearsMom
11-08-2010, 05:19 PM
totally off topic, but I just read an article about how laptaps could be contributing to the rising male infertility rate. I know that won't affect you, but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40062970?ocid=twitter

Netbooks would have the same impact, given that they also generate heat, so I don' think that should play into your decision. In your circumstances a lap top would be much better because typing on a netbook is difficult. Just tell any men in your life to put a book or a lap desk between the laptop and their gentials :p

codex57
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm done having kids so I could care less if I become infertile at this point. :)

Penny's Pappa
11-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Laptop for sure. I think a netbook would only make sense if you traveled A LOT and you wanted something small to take to conferences and presentations and the like. Otherwise, a full-featured laptop is going to be far more handy.

soontobe
11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
thanks guys! Everyone I asked in real life said the same thing-it is so nice when there is a clear answer:)