PDA

View Full Version : Nighttime and a 6 yr old

HIU8
11-08-2010, 02:19 PM
DS has been asking (ok begging) me to allow him to wear underwear at night. He is by no means night trained. By that I mean he wets his pullup every night and about 1-2 times a week his bed is wet. He NEVER wakes up in the middle of the night. We restrict his liquid a bit at snack and before bed. So, do I just let him wear underwear in the hopes something clicks and I most likely end up changing his sheets daily or do I make him wait until he can go 5 days with a dry pullup (he has done this before but not consistently). Anyone BTDT? Advice?

tiapam
11-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I would let him try. My DD doesn't even want to try. So at least he is enthusiastic about it.

HIU8
11-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I have to wait until my dryer is fixed (tomrrow I hope). So that I can actually do laundry if he wets.

anamika
11-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Whew, so I'm not the only one with a 6 yo in Pullups. Sorry no advice though.
DD will wet her bed and sleep through it so I'm pretty sure she is not ready for underwear at night.
Good luck if you try the underwear at night - let us know how it goes!

PunkyBoo
11-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Let him try if he wants to, maybe the empowerment will help him, but I would put extra protection on the bed. When Punkin decided he was ready (just last year), I put felt waterproof pads on top of the mattress pad, then a fitted sheet, then a second set of waterproof pads, then another fitted sheet, so if he did wake up wet in the night, we could just pull off the top 2 wet layers (sheet and pads) and he'd have a clean (and protected) set already on the bed. Much quicker to deal with in the night.

My pediatrician said now to worry about boys and night wetting until they are at least 7. Pull ups (or we used those overnight jams or whatever, intended for bigger boys) are pretty common for boys at night...

HIU8
11-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah, we have been doing the bed layering for about a year now b/c DS would frequently wet the bed through his size lg goodnites (no where to go from there unless we switch to depends I think). My ped said 8 is when he would start to worry. I'm not worried as I wet the bed until age 9 nightly, so DS is doing much better than I did at his age. I just didn't want to deal with wet sheets nightly at this very moment since we didn't have a working dryer for about 10 days. We now do, it's not as big an issue. We told him he could wear underwear tonight and we will see how it goes.....