PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon - 2nd week of december?

Sweetum
11-08-2010, 03:27 PM
We're planning on doing a GC trip in the 2nd week of December - to take my parents who've never seen it. We don't intend to do any hikes - mostly drives since they are not exactly fit to do hikes. Given that, would it be terrible weather to just be there? Would it be so horribly cold that my parents from India would not be able to enjoy the vistas? Thanks for your input!

tiapam
11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Well, the North Rim is likely to be completely closed then:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/directions_n_rim.htm#CP_JUMP_167594

So that only leaves the South Rim for sure and even that could be inaccessible when you want to go. The wesbite above has lots of info, including this tidbit:

The South Rim of Grand Canyon averages 7000 feet/2134 m above sea level.
Visitors with respiratory or heart problems may experience difficulties.
Walking at this elevation can be strenuous.

Even if they don't do much walking, will your parents be able to handle the elevation? So just make sure your parents are up for it. I don't know if I would go at that time of year. Do you live close?

Sweetum
11-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Thanks for link, Pam. We do intend to go to the South Rim of the GC. We're planning on driving up from Las Vegas. We're in the SF Bay Area, so that's not too far, but the issue really is that my parents are here only till February, and I don't believe the weather will get better by then. About the excerpt - seems like that would apply year-round - would have to check with my parents. Thanks so much!

StantonHyde
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
If you are going to Vegas, then go to Zion National Park. Lower elevation, should be ok warm. Don't go to Bryce--cold and snowy. I wouldn't hang out at the rim of the Grand Canyon in winter. We are going in March and should be ok then. You will need to figure in how heavily snowed in the roads are to some places. St George and Zion should be nice and there is plenty to see there.

Smillow
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
In 1997 I was at the Grand Canyon on New Years Day - it was cold in the am & after dark - real cold! But during the day the weather was great - it was very sunny & I think I might have gotten sunburn. I think that just driving & walking around the vistas you will be fine! I just had a thick fleece turtleneck pullover. Don't miss it!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
11-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I live by the canyon, and we are *supposed* to have a warmer than average winter, but you never know. It hailed today. and we may get our first snowfall tonight...

pb&j
11-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I would plan it, but be flexible. IMO, the Grand Canyon is not to be missed, so unless it was really snowy and roads were closed, I'd make every effort to get there. Bring plenty of layers, hats, gloves, scarves, etc.

I also agree that Zion is really awesome, but truly, nothing in the world can compare to the Grand Canyon. FWIW, when I was at Zion in March of this year, it *should* have been warm, but there was still snow on the ground in many places, and it was cold and drizzly and foggy. And I've been to the GC in late fall when temps were moderate and it was sunny. So really, ya just never know.

Sweetum
11-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Sooo, we've decided to go the GC the first week of dec. now, we have a dilemma - we land in vegas at 6pm on a sat and we fly back at 6pm on monday. we want to spend one night in vegas and one night in GC. I vote for drive to GC as soon as we land in vegas. Yes, it'll be night time, but we will have good amount of time to see it next morning to afternoon about 2pm. Then we start driving to vegas, spend the night there, and then fly back on monday. DH votes the other way - spend sat night in vegas, drive to GC next morning, see GC from evening 3 to 5 (sunset, I think). Stay overnight. Start driving back to vegas monday morning (no later than 11am), reach vegas by 4pm and fly back at 6pm. what do you all think? am I crazy to suggest driving to GC at night (is it snowing already? are roads going to be tough to navigate?), or is he crazy to say we see GC between 3 and 5, and do a 4.5 - 5 hour drive to catch a flight?

tiapam
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Sooo, we've decided to go the GC the first week of dec. now, we have a dilemma - we land in vegas at 6pm on a sat and we fly back at 6pm on monday. we want to spend one night in vegas and one night in GC. I vote for drive to GC as soon as we land in vegas. Yes, it'll be night time, but we will have good amount of time to see it next morning to afternoon about 2pm. Then we start driving to vegas, spend the night there, and then fly back on monday. DH votes the other way - spend sat night in vegas, drive to GC next morning, see GC from evening 3 to 5 (sunset, I think). Stay overnight. Start driving back to vegas monday morning (no later than 11am), reach vegas by 4pm and fly back at 6pm. what do you all think? am I crazy to suggest driving to GC at night (is it snowing already? are roads going to be tough to navigate?), or is he crazy to say we see GC between 3 and 5, and do a 4.5 - 5 hour drive to catch a flight?

Hmm, any chance your inbound flight could be delayed? In that case I would rather stay in Las Vegas first, especially if you will have kids with you and depending on how long the flight is. But your way sounds better for seeing more of the GC.