PDA

View Full Version : NO more baby food...

C&C's mom
11-08-2010, 03:53 PM
My DD doesn't want her baby puree food at all anymore. this has been going on for a week. She is only 7 mos. She just wants table food or finger foods. Any good ideas on what to give her? I have tried cheese, cheerios, noodles but I know that she needs more.

edurnemk
11-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Soft steamed cubed veggies. DS loved this, especially carrots. Also broccoli. As for fruit we started with pear and banana in the same way.

Katigre
11-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Search back for the 'finger foods' threads in this forum - there were tons of great suggestions. FWIW, DD only had table food and loved it :).

BabbyO
11-09-2010, 03:54 PM
DS also only had table food, never purees and did very well. (He refused purees from the start). We started with steamed veggies, Avocado on toast fingers, bananas, etc at 6.5-7 mo. We followed the BLW (Baby Led Weaning) philosophy and have done very well. Gill Rapley's book (Baby Led Weaning) was my bible. She has a nice table that shows ideas for appropriate foods at a given age. The forums on babyledweaning.com were also a huge help to me.

brittone2
11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
DS1 ate a small jar of babyfood one time. Other than that it was a few spoons here and there of purees. He just didn't go for it. He did better w/ small quantities but good variety of finger foods once he was maybe 8 months old.

with DD and now DS2 I didn't bother with purees.

Remember that anything they are eating that is table food isn't watered down so smaller quantities may have more nutrition than you'd think, kwim?

Last night DS2 had small bits of turkey sausage out of the casing. DS1 loved the flavored chicken sausages.

DS2 is still having trouble moving stuff around and actually swallowing it so we just do a tiny bit and he experiments with it.

There are some great old finger food threads as a PP mentioned.

C&C's mom
11-10-2010, 06:16 PM
So I steamed some veggies today and my DD still couldn't eat them well! She has been eating cheerio covered banana and a little pasta but that still takes forever for her to chew. I even steamed an apple to almost mush today and she wouldn't eat it. The steamer I have is the annabel karmel micro steamer. Maybe i need something else. my DH has this huge steamer but I just want something small to steam a small portion for her. She really wont eat anything except cheerios, puffs, and mum mums.

Katigre
11-10-2010, 07:51 PM
What size are you making the pieces? At her age she needs something with a 'handle' (think a stalk of broccoli) vs. small pieces requiring the pincer grasp.

Make her pieces the size of a french fry or potato chip for easy gripping and eating :).

llama8
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
That is the age my DD started resisting purees. Although she still eats some when she has to, she is now 11.5 months and almost all her food is finger food.

She eats: meatballs, pieces of chicken and turkey cut up, nuggets, whole wheat pasta, pancakes, avocado, banana, blueberries, Praegers spinach patties, ravioli, egg yolks, heated frozen bags of veggies cut up (ie: squash, zucchini, turnip, carrots, etc). Gerber graduate snacks are a big hit too, or french fries/sweet potato fries and bread when we are out.

She only has 2 teeth on the bottom but she is determined. She even had cut up pizza at daycare.

Make sure they get enough fruits and veggies. Frozen bags of cut up veggies at the supermarket are a lifesaver!!!! I heat them up (not in the bag) and cut them a little smaller and she loves them.

The only food she loves on a spoon is cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and YoBaby yogurt. They make meals too. Sometimes with meat we will serve a fruit/veggie Yobaby yogurt combo on the side.